Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
[UPDATED OCTOBER 2020]
If you have a friend or relative on your holiday list this year that also happens to be a dog owner, then why not get them a great gift that is also thoughtful and practical? A gift that makes their life of owning a dog a little easier. I have put together a list of the best Christmas gifts for dog owners, that will have you looking like a superstar gift giver!
Shopping for a dog owner shouldn’t be a hard task. Dog owners love their dogs like children and love seeing them happy! So getting them a gift that will benefit their dog in some way will be much appreciated. As the saying goes, the way to a parent’s heart is through their children, and in this case, to get in the good books with any dog owner is by spoiling their fur child!
If you haven’t got a clue what to get that dog owner in your life, just relax, because I have done the hard work for you!
Let’s get to the list, shall we?
12 Best Christmas Gifts For Dog Owners
1. Custom Pet Pillow
Dog owners love nothing more than to show off pictures of their dog to everyone they meet. Many dog owners have entire walls showcasing their furry best friend in picture frames. But how many dog owners have a pillow of their dog?
This custom dog pillow is such a unique and adorable gift. The dog owner in your life will be able to proudly display their best friend in pillow form on their bed, couch, chair, or wherever they wish.
This makes a great gift for dog owners who recently lost a loving pet, as they can always be reminded of their best friend. This pillow would make any dog owner smile.
- Available in 4 sizes.
- The customized pillow is cut to the shape of your pet.
- A high-quality photo of your pet printed on the front, the back is white.
- Super soft suede cover is removable with a zipper.
- The print is heat transferred, it is durable and will not peel or lose density.
- Machine washable.
2. Matching Dog Collar And Friendship Bracelet
Remember having a friendship bracelet when you were a child? There was no better feeling than sharing a bracelet with your best friend. Well, dog owners share a special bond with their dog and they consider their dog their best friend.
By getting the dog owner in your life this friendship bracelet with a matching dog collar, you’ll be letting them relive their childhood memories. This gift is meaningful for any dog owner who wants to take bonding with their dog a step further by having matching accessories.
This set is both stylish and functional and is great for both male and female dogs and men and women dog owners.
The dog collar is made of pet-friendly materials and is lightweight, yet durable. It features a small beech wood bow tie on the front and the collar is made of durable hemp and canvas. The matching human friendship bracelet is made from soft cotton canvas and hemp.
This set is ready to give in its own earth-friendly gift box.
- Available in 3 sizes.
- Unisex design for both male and female dogs, and men and women.
- Available in 3 colours.
- Dog collar features beech wood bow tie and made of 100% hemp and canvas.
- The friendship bracelet is made of 100% cotton canvas and hemp.
- Durable, lightweight, and soft and comfortable.
- Collar and bracelet are adjustable.
- Strong D ring to attach your dog’s leash and ID tag.
3. Complete Pooper Scooper Set
Dogs and puppies basically eat, sleep, play, poop, and repeat! This handy little pooper scooper set by Petmate is a great gift for any dog owner because they will never have to bend over and pick up dog poop again.
This scooper allows dog owners to keep their hands, faces, and noses away from the mess and odour of dog poop. This handy tool works great on all surfaces, snow, grass, and cement.
It features a durable plastic rake that easily rakes the poop into the rotating swivel bin. The handle is lightweight and can extend up to 32 inches, making it comfortable for dog owners to pick up the mess.
Included are 2 Arm & Hammer baking soda activated waste bags to eliminate odour. Clean up is a breeze, simply tie the bag and put it in the trash. The whole unit can be sprayed off with water to clean.
- Solid, sturdy and lightweight tool.
- Extends up to 32″ to minimize bending and back pain.
- Keeps your hands, face and nose away from the mess and odour.
- Includes waste bags for sanitary disposal.
- Sturdy swivel bin and plastic rake.
- The bin and rake handle snaps together for hanging storage.
- Works on all surfaces, grass, snow and cement.
4. Dog Travel Organizer Bag
This pet travel bag by Unicreate is the perfect gift for any dog owner who loves to travel with their dog. It is a great bag that allows you to pack all of your dog’s essentials for as long as a week away. Whether you are going on a camping trip, a weekend getaway, or travelling on an airplane, this bag holds everything your dog needs.
This tote bag features multiple storage compartments and includes 2 soft-sided insulated zippered containers that allow you to hold up to 30 cups of dog food and 2 food-grade silicone collapsible bowls. The front flap unzips to provide your dog with a placemat for eating.
- Complete travel organizer bag holds all your dog’s essentials, treats, food, water, toys, leashes, first aid kit.
- Size meets airline carry-on requirements. (11.8″ x 14.6 ” x 8.3″) 17L.
- The tote bag features a waterproof fabric, adjustable padded shoulder strap, and luggage sleeve to rest on top of a suitcase.
- Multiple storage compartments of various sizes.
- Includes 2 soft-sided insulated zippered containers (holds up to 30 cups of food), and 2 food-grade collapsible silicone bowls (5-cup) that are dishwasher safe.
- Fold-down placemat.
5. Dog Stroller
You may be asking yourself, why would any dog owner need a dog stroller? Well, I’m glad you asked. Dog strollers may look ridiculous to some, but they are actually very beneficial!
Dogs who suffer from joint pain or arthritis might have trouble walking, as do dogs who are in their senior years. Dog strollers are great for those dogs because they allow them to enjoy the outdoors and get some fresh air.
Perhaps you live in a multi-dog family and one of your dogs is young and enjoys going for long walks, but your other dog can no longer walk for long periods of time. A dog stroller is a solution for you. Both dogs can enjoy the outdoors together, and not feel like one dog is getting more attention.
The Pet Gear No-Zip Stroller Expedition Style is a large size stroller that allows your dog to ride comfortably. It can hold a single dog or multiple dogs at a capacity of 150lbs. The dual-entry compartment allows your dog to enter from the back and exit from the front. There is no need for your dog to turn around, which is a huge plus for older or injured dogs.
This stroller features a no zip entry, which means there are no zippers to fumble around with. You can quickly lock and unlock the doors with a push button. The compartment is made of durable 600 Denier Nylon and features a zippered viewing window for your dog to enjoy the sights. The multi-position handle is easily adjustable to your height for optimum comfort.
- Holds up to 150lbs. Comfortable ride for single or multiple pets.
- Compartment size is 32″L x 22″W x 23″H.
- Made of durable 600 Denier Nylon.
- No-Zip entry, lock and unlock doors with a push-button.
- Dual-entry compartment means no turning around, a huge benefit for older and injured dogs.
- Removable interior liner, for easy cleaning.
- 2 interior safety tethers and back wheel brakes.
- Easily folds flat for storage and travel.
- Easy to assemble, no tools required.
- Multi-position handle.
- Weighs 26lbs.
- Zippered top mesh window for viewing.
6. Pet Pouch Hoodie
This gift is soft and comfortable for both the dog owner in your life and their dog. This original Pet Pouch Hoodie by Roodie is made from high-quality cotton and polyester mix. This hoodie makes the perfect pet carrier for small pets only. You wouldn’t want to carry a full-size Golden Retriever in this thing, but a Golden retriever puppy for sure!
This pet carrier hoodie allows you to cuddle with your small dog inside the house or while out for a nice walk, or errands.
The pet pouch features strong zippers and snaps and has a soft removable inner liner that can be machine washed. The stylish look of this hoodie allows you to enjoy it with or without a pet. The pet pouch can double as a purse! There are hidden side pockets to keep your hands warm too, or if you have your pet in the pouch you can use it to hold treats.
- Pet pouch hoodie carries small pets only.
- Pet pouch dimensions are 14″W x 9″H x 4″ D and holds 7 Kilos (15lbs), Max.
- Made of high-quality Cotton and Polyester mix.
- Removable inner pouch liner can be machine washed.
- Strong zippers and snaps to hold your small pet safely.
- Enjoy with or without a pet, the pet pouch can double as a purse.
- Hidden side pockets keep your hands warm, or hold treats, or keys.
- Available in 6 colours.
- Available in 9 sizes.
- Female cut style sweatshirt, not intended for men. Features a tighter fit. If you want a roomier fit you need to order a size up.
7. Aquapaw Pet Bathing Tool
Dog owners love having a clean and fresh smelling dog but hate the hassle of having to bathe them. With this handy tool from Aquapaw, the dog owner in your life will find bathing their dog much easier and quicker. Their dog will enjoy it too.
The Aquapaw Pet Bathing Tool allows you to bathe your dog with both hands, speeding up the process. This tool is a sprayer and scrubber in one and comes with adapters to easily connect to your shower, bathtub, or garden hose.
This 2 in 1 tool easily adjusts to fit all hand sizes. Easily scrub and wet down your dog using the palm of your hand. The water can be turned on and off with a click of the button located in the middle of the Aquapaw. Bathe your dog with one hand and comfort him using the other.
- 2 in 1 pet bathing tool, scrubber and soaker in one.
- Fits in the palm of your hand, adjustable to all hand sizes.
- Includes adapters to easily connect to shower, bathtub, or garden hose.
- Easy on/off button is clickable with one hand.
- Water sprays from rubber scrubbers in the palm of your hand.
- Frees up both of your hands to speed up bath time.
- Flexible 8-foot hose is included.
- Great for indoor or outdoor use.
- Lifetime Warranty.
8. Aquapaw Slow Treat Dispensing Mat
The Aquapaw Slow Treat Dispensing Mat would be great alongside the Aquapaw Bathing Tool. Just stick this silicone treat mat on the bathtub wall to further distract your dog from the bathing experience.
The mat can be smeared with peanut butter, bananas, or any wet food that your dog enjoys. You can even freeze it to make the treat last longer. This mat is ideal for keeping your dog distracted during bath time, brushing, nail trims, or even when you need a break from your dog while doing household chores.
- 100% FDA-grade silicone.
- BPA free.
- Centre nubs slow down feeding and hold food in place.
- Suction cups stick to any flat surface, shower tiles, glass, or refrigerators.
- Tabs allow for easy removal.
- Dishwasher and freezer safe.
- Stackable design.
9. Dog Side My Side Duvet Cover Set
Did you know that according to the American Kennel Club, 45% of dogs sleep in their owner’s bed? I bet those dogs take up more than their share of the bed!
Any dog owner who shares a bed with their dog will get a kick out of this duvet set! The dog takes up so much room and you are left with very little space. This set would look great in a kids room too!
- Duvet set includes 1 duvet cover and 2 pillowcases.
- Available in 4 sizes.
- Made of 100% polyester fibre, it is soft and wrinkle-free.
- Machine washable.
10. Dexas MudBuster Portable Dog Paw Cleaner
I think every dog owner would appreciate this handy little gadget to clean the sand, mud, and grime off of their dog’s paws. The last thing you want is muddy paw prints all over your home or inside your vehicle.
With this portable dog paw cleaner you simply fill it with a little bit of water and when your dog comes in from a rainy day walk or digging in the backyard (a big no-no!) you insert your dog’s muddy paw, do a twist, dab the paw dry, and repeat for the other 3 paws.
The MudBuster has gentle silicone bristles that help loosen and remove dirt and grime from your dog’s paws. The bristles can be removed from the tumbler by unscrewing the cap, and the whole thing can be put in the dishwasher to be cleaned.
The MudBuster is BPA free, available in 3 different sizes to clean all sizes of dog paws, and comes in 3 different colours. This is a great gadget to keep in your car for trips to the dog park, by your front door for muddy walks, or by your backdoor for playing in the yard.
- BPA free portable dog paw cleaner.
- Gentle silicone bristles remove dirt and grime.
- Dishwasher safe on top-rack.
- Available in 3 sizes to accommodate all dog paws.
- Available in 3 colours.
11. Embark Dog DNA Test
If you know a dog owner that has a mixed breed dog, why not gift them the opportunity to find out what breeds make up their dog?
With this DNA test from Embark, you’ll be able to find out the genetic makeup of your dog, you can find your dog’s relatives, and you’ll be alerted with any potential health issues that may arise in your dog.
To get started, you simply activate your activation code, swab your dog’s cheek, and mail the sample in the prepaid envelope. The results usually take a month to receive, and you will be given a vet report that will allow you to share any health concerns with your vet.
- Embark screens for over 250 dog breeds and offers the most accurate breed breakdown on the market.
- Embark tests for over 170 genetic diseases including the most common adult-onset diseases in dogs.
- Maps your dog’s family tree and ancestry all the way back to great-grandparents.
- It allows you to find and connect with other dogs that share the same DNA as your dog. You will be able to find your dog’s relatives.
- Built by experts. Embark is partnered with Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine and is trusted by veterinary hospitals.
- 3 easy steps: activate, swab your dog’s cheek, and mail results in the prepaid envelope.
- Fast, trusted results.
12. Pup Pouch By Nookoo
This handy little dog walking pouch would make a great gift for any dog owner. This well-made training pouch holds everything you need while walking your dog, training treats, toys, phone, keys, money, and includes a **bonus** dog clicker for clicker training.
The built-in poop dispenser holds 2 poop bag rolls, that allow you to reach for a poop bag quickly and easily. It features a drawstring closure main compartment along with 2 zippered pockets and a mesh pocket. The adjustable and removable shoulder strap lets you wear this pouch 3 ways; around your shoulder, around your waist or clipped to your belt.
- Made of weather-resistant premium Nylon.
- Holds treats, toys, phone, keys, money.
- Includes a bonus clicker trainer.
- Built-in poop dispenser holds 2 poop bag rolls.
- Adjustable and removable 42″ shoulder strap lets you wear it 3 ways; around your waist, shoulder, or clipped to a belt.
- Available in 2 colours.
How Do You Pick The Right Gift For A Dog Owner?
If you are a dog owner yourself, you know just how much your dog means to you, and that is the same for any dog owner. We love our dogs (sometimes more than people), and when it comes to picking the right gift for us it really comes down to this:
- Dog owners love items that make life easier for them and their dogs.
- Gifts that improve their dog’s quality of life.
- Toys or treats that their dog loves.
- Funny novelty items that are dog related.
- Matching dog and owner gear.
- Books about dogs.
- Home decor items that are dog related.
Gifts That You Should Avoid When Shopping For A Dog Owner
Shopping for a dog owner is pretty easy, especially when you know what type of dog they have. Dog owners can be breed-specific, for example, a Golden Retriever owner will love any gift that relates to their favourite breed.
But, there are always some items that you should avoid. This includes:
- Any type of clothing or item that is meant to be put on their dog to get a laugh. A true dog-loving owner will never subject their dog to any amount of physical or emotional discomfort just for a laugh.
- Dangerous toys or treats for their dog. Any dog toy that you buy for a dog should be made of pet-friendly materials, non-toxic, and should be age and size appropriate. Treats should be avoided too especially if their dog has allergies.
- Any movie or book that has a sad ending where the dog dies. Many dog owners refuse to watch a movie or read a book where the dog dies in the end. It is just too sad for us to handle!
I hope you have enjoyed this list of the best Christmas gifts for dog owners, as much as I have had putting it together. With Christmas, just around the corner, I am sure you will be ready to gift that special dog-loving owner something great!
Need more gift ideas? Be sure to check out the following articles:
- 15 Fun & Unique Christmas Gifts For A Dog.
- Gifts For Golden Retriever Owners.
- Tough Chew Toys For Dogs Guaranteed.
What About You?
Are you shopping for a dog owner this year? Which gift do you think the dog owner in your life will appreciate the most? Do you know a great gift for a dog owner that is missing from this list?
Share your thoughts and comments below. I would love to hear from you!