Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link & purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
[UPDATED JANUARY 2022]
Are you looking for the best cold weather dog coats to keep your pup dry and warm? You’ve come to the right place!
I have done an extensive review of the best coats for dogs that not only keep your pup warm, but also dry during those snowy, windy, and cold days of winter.
While there are some breeds that tend to enjoy the cold weather, there are certain breeds that are more sensitive to the cold, and could certainly benefit from wearing a coat.
If you’re unsure about whether your pup needs to wear a coat, keep reading as we discuss this below. Plus, find out how to measure your dog for a coat and how to choose the best coat for your dog.
But first, let’s get to the list, shall we?
7 Best Cold Weather Dog Coats
Here is a list of 7 of the best cold weather dog coats. They are all stylish and functional, but most importantly they will keep your pup warm during those cold winter walks!
1. Weatherbeeta Parka 1200D Deluxe Dog Coat
[Best Heavy-Duty Coat]
Now, this is a coat made for winter! The Weatherbeeta Parka will make your dog look stylish and will keep him cozy and warm on those blustery cold winter walks.
Featuring a tough outer shell made of 1200 denier, triple woven, waterproof fabric, this parka does an excellent job of keeping your pup dry and warm. Plus it’s durable enough to withstand all that rolling around in the snow!
It is filled with 220 grams of Polyfill insulation to keep your pup toasty warm without overheating, this parka is breathable.
The oversized stand-up collar keeps the wind off your dog’s neck, while the elastic rear leg bands help hold the coat securely in place.
The great thing about this coat is that it is so easy to put on and take off. Simply slide it over your dog’s head and secure the Velcro straps on the sides.
This parka features full coverage for your dog’s chest and belly. The elastic band at the throat is wide and flexible for added comfort and stretch as your dog moves around.
Plus, the added reflective strips make this a great coat to wear during night-time walks. Your dog will be visible to oncoming motorists.
- Durable outer shell made of 1200 denier triple weave fabric.
- Waterproof and Breathable.
- Stylish and Warm, filled with 220 grams of Polyfill insulation.
- Reflective strips for added safety.
- Easy to put on and take off.
- Leash hole opening.
- It provides full coverage for the chest and belly.
- Available in various sizes.
- Available in various colours and patterns.
- Machine Washable.
- Well made & warm.
- It compares to a horse blanket, as it is thick and sturdy.
- It’s easy to put on and it stays in place, no shifting or bunching.
- Completely waterproof, this coat will keep your dog warm and dry.
- Offers full coverage for the chest and belly, without interfering with your dog going to the bathroom.
- The elastic leg bands are a great feature to keep this coat secure and to keep the wind out.
- Owners of this coat mention that it is a heavy-duty coat that will last for many years.
- Easy to clean, it washes well.
- This coat is very thick and durable, which is good, but it makes the coat a bit too stiff.
- It might not be the best option for small dogs with shorter legs because it is a bit heavy and stiff.
- The sizing is a bit off, tends to run big. Make sure to measure your dog properly.
- The leash hole on the back is designed for a leash attached to a collar, and not in the right spot for a harness.
2. Canada Pooch North Pole Parka
[Best Coat For Leisure Walks]
Canada Pooch is a company that is located in Toronto, Canada. Their apparel and accessories for dogs are made without any animal products, no leather, no down, and no fur.
Their coats are designed to keep your dog warm, and dry while looking stylish.
The North Pole Dog Parka features a water-resistant outer shell with a warm fleece inner lining that is soft to the touch. The coat is insulated with thick faux-fur insulation for total warmth.
The faux-fur trimmed hood adds style to this coat and keeps your dog’s ears warm during those cold winter walks. The hood can be snapped into place with a snap button on the back to prevent it from flopping around.
This coat is easy to put on and take off, it features a dual Velcro closure on the chest/belly area, and ribbed cuff sleeves.
The back of the coat features the Canada Pooch logo emblem and a fully functioning pocket.
Overall this coat is stylish and will keep your pup cozy and warm.
- Water-resistant outer shell with a warm fleece inner lining.
- Thick faux-fur insulation with a quilted look.
- Faux-fur trimmed hood can be snapped into place.
- Ribbed cuff sleeves.
- Dual Velcro closure on the chest/belly.
- Available in Black or Red.
- Available in various sizes to fit small to large breeds.
- Easy to clean, spot clean or machine washable.
- Leash/Harness hole opening.
- This coat is very stylish and owners love how well-made it is, it is great quality.
- It is soft and keeps dogs nice and warm.
- Owners love how easy this coat is to put on and take off.
- This coat seems to fit true to size, just make sure to measure your dog properly.
- A great coat for all dog breeds from small to large.
- Some owners mention that this coat is not long enough to cover their dog’s back.
- The Velcro closure on the chest/belly area can be a bit stiff.
- The leash/harness hole opening is not in the best position for most harnesses.
- Some owners mention that the insulation is not very warm for extremely cold temperatures.
3. Kurgo Loft Jacket Dog Coat
[Best 2 in 1 Lightweight Coat]
The Kurgo Loft Jacket is an excellent value dog coat! It features a two-tone reversible design, giving your dog two stylish looks.
It is a vest-style coat allowing your dog freedom of movement. Ideal for everyday use for active and athletic dogs.
This lightweight coat features loft technology to keep your dog warm without overheating. There are no hoods or sleeves to get in the way.
Made with ripstop rugged nylon and 140 g Polytech fill, this reversible design coat is durable and water-resistant. The synthetic loft insulates your dog without all of the bulk that some jackets have.
Reflective piping allows your dog to be seen at night and the zipper opening on the back makes it easy to access a leash or harness while keeping moisture away.
To get the best fit for your dog, neck and chest measurement are the most important.
Kurgo offers a Lifetime Warranty on this coat.
- Reversible design, 2 in 1 coat.
- Vest-style for freedom of movement.
- Loft technology.
- Ripstop rugged nylon.
- 140 g Polytech fill.
- Reflective piping.
- Zipper opening leash/harness access.
- Velcro closure on the belly.
- Machine washable, air dry.
- Available in various sizes.
- Available in various colours.
- Lifetime Warranty.
- Lightweight coat that keeps your dog warm without overheating. It’s a great choice for active dogs that need added warmth.
- It is well-made and durable.
- Fits great even on wide chested dogs like Boxers or Bulldogs.
- Keeps your dog dry.
- Kurgo is an excellent brand, with great customer service. Lifetime Warranty on this coat.
- Not warm enough for dogs who are sensitive to extreme cold temperatures. Kurgo offers a baselayer for added warmth. (sold separately).
- Tends to run short on the back for some dogs.
- Doesn’t provide enough belly coverage.
4. Hurtta Pet Collection Summit Parka
[Best Coat For Active Dogs]
The Summit Parka by Hurtta is designed especially for active dogs and for demanding use. This coat will not shift or slip when your dog moves around, it is designed to fit securely in place.
Short-haired dogs and dogs without an undercoat would greatly benefit from this coat, as it offers insulation and prevents your dog from freezing.
Even dogs with thick fur or double-coated breeds will enjoy the extra insulation that this coat offers.
This coat is sleek and stylish and promises a perfect fit (when measured properly).
It is fully adjustable with a toggle at the back to adjust the length, a toggle at the collar, and a belt around the waist.
To keep the wind out and the jacket securely in place it features back leg attachment loops.
Walking in snow or light rain conditions is no problem at all, as this coat is waterproof and breathable with a Houndtex coating.
The high-visibility 3M reflectors are added to make your dog visible at night for increased safety.
It is a breeze to put this coat on your dog, you simply slide it over your dog’s head and secure the buckle around the waist.
- Waterproof and Breathable with a Houndtex coating.
- Inner fleece lining for softness and added warmth.
- Fully adjustable to ensure a perfect fit.
- Overhead design with one buckle attachment.
- High-visibility 3M reflectors.
- High neck to protect from the wind.
- Back leg attachment loops to secure coat in place.
- Harness and leash opening.
- Lightweight and non-restricting.
- Available in various colours.
- Available in various sizes.
- Designed for active dogs.
- The only coat your dog will need in the winter! It is super warm.
- Lightweight, breathable, and durable.
- A solid gore-tex outer shell and an inner fleece lining shield the wind, rain and snow, keeping your dog warm and dry.
- This coat stays in place and doesn’t restrict your dog’s movements. Some owners mentioned that their dog feels like they aren’t even wearing a coat. It is great for dogs who hate coats.
- It is a beautiful coat and very well-made.
- The back length, as well as the neck, can be adjusted with the cinch of a toggle, and the waist belt is easily adjusted to give your dog a proper fit. This coat stays in place and your dog will not be able to wiggle out of it.
- It is a bit pricey, but owners say this coat is well worth it.
- A few reviewers mentioned their dog does not like the leg attachment loops. Their solution was to not use them.
- Snow can get stuck underneath the coat if your dog plays or runs in deep snow.
- A few reviewers mention that the belt strap does not stay tight and they have to re-adjust it.
5. Carhartt Chore Coat Dog Vest
[Best Coat For Working Or Hunting Dogs]
The Chore Coat for dogs is a durable coat designed for hard-working dogs, which means it is strong and warm and meant to last.
That being said any dog can wear this coat and look stylish and stay warm and dry, no work needed.
If you are a hunter and your dog goes hunting with you, then this coat is an ideal choice as it comes in Hunter Orange.
This coat will ensure your pup stays warm and dry. It is made of 100% ringspun cotton duck canvas with a water-repellent coating.
It features a quilted nylon lining for warmth and a corduroy-trimmed collar to keep your dog’s neck warm.
It is fully adjustable at the neck and chest to ensure a proper and snug fit. This vest is easy to put on and take off, simply slide it on your dog’s body and secure the Velcro tab at the neck and chest.
- Vest style, no sleeves or hood to get in the way.
- Durable and designed to last.
- Cotton-duck canvas outer with water-repellent coating.
- Quilted nylon lining for warmth.
- Corduroy trimmed collar that tucks into the coat.
- Easy on and off with adjustable Velcro tabs at neck and chest.
- It does not restrict movement.
- Two riveted pockets on each side for storage.
- Carhartt label is sewn on the side pocket.
- Available in 4 colours including Hunter Orange.
- Available in 4 sizes.
- Machine washable.
- This dog vest is very durable and is designed for hard-working dogs, but all dogs can enjoy this coat.
- Great for dogs who don’t like wearing coats with hoods or sleeves.
- It is easy to put on and take off and is adjustable.
- This coat is tough and rugged and will stand up to rough play, running through the bush, etc.
- Owners of this coat love the quality construction of it and how cute their dog looks wearing it.
- It protects your dog from the elements with its water-repellent exterior and warm lining.
- There is no leash/harness hole opening. You will need to use a collar instead of a harness.
- Not the best choice for extreme cold weather because the chest and belly area is not fully covered.
6. Kurgo North Country Coat
[Best Coat For 3 Seasons]
The North Country Dog Coat by Kurgo is designed to stand up to tough trail use as it is made from durable rip-stop 1200 Denier Nylon.
Rain, snow and wind are no match for this coat as the outer shell is waterproof, and the soft fleece lining made from 1050 Denier fleece will keep your dog warm and dry.
This coat is made for 3 season coverage and is comfortable for your dog to wear without being restrictive.
Kurgo is a great coat that fits dogs of all sizes. If your dog is bothered by a hood or sleeves, this coat is a great choice because it doesn’t have either.
It features reflective piping and a flashing LED strip on the back to keep your dog visible during low light conditions.
The LED flashing light is operated by a small watch battery, and can easily be removed so the coat can be machine washed.
There is a zippered opening on the back for attaching a leash to your dog’s favourite harness or collar.
This coat is easy to put on, simply slide it over your dog’s head and secure the side buckles. It can be adjusted at the sides to ensure a proper snug fit, and the back darts give the coat a nice tapered fit to keep the wind out.
Kurgo offers a Lifetime Warranty on this coat.
- The outer shell is made from durable rip-stop 1200 Denier Nylon.
- Insulated with 1050 Denier Fleece.
- Waterproof and windproof.
- Overhead design, easy to put on and take off.
- Adjustable side buckles.
- Back darts for a tapered fit.
- Zippered opening for leash/harness.
- Designed for 3 season use.
- Fits dogs of all sizes.
- LED flashing light (battery operated) and reflective piping for nighttime visibility.
- Lifetime Warranty.
- Available in 3 colours.
- Available in 5 sizes.
- Lightweight, durable, and quality made.
- It is waterproof and does a great job of keeping your dog dry during wet snow or rainy conditions.
- Fits a harness well and it is easy to put on and take off.
- The customer service is great. One reviewer mentioned the LED light stopped working after the battery got corroded due to getting wet in the rain, and Kurgo sent him a replacement light. This company stands behind its Lifetime Warranty.
- The straps to secure the coat go under the belly and not near the legs so there is no friction or chafing.
- It holds up really well to rough terrain, with no rips or tears.
- A few owners of this coat have mentioned that it is thin and doesn’t provide enough warmth for extreme temperatures. For short-haired dogs or those without an undercoat, you may need to layer with a sweater.
- The zippered harness opening on the back has a tendency to let water in when it rains. A solution is to wear the harness over the coat.
- Some owners mention that the LED light is unnecessary and more of a gimmick. The LED light can easily be removed if you wish to not use it.
7. Kuoser Reversible British Style Plaid Dog Vest
[Best Budget-Friendly Coat]
This stylish coat by Kuoser is a popular choice among dog parents. It is the most affordable option listed here, and because of its reversible design, you actually get 2 coats in 1.
It is lightweight but durable and is insulated with thick polyester fibre to keep the winter chill off your dog. This coat is waterproof, windproof and warm.
The plaid side is soft and comfortable and is perfect for those cold and windy days. For rainy days or wet snow conditions, the plain side is ideal to keep your pup warm and dry.
On the back of the coat, there is a buttonhole opening for a leash/harness, and the leather Kuoser label is featured on the end.
This coat allows your dog to move freely without being restricted, and it offers ample coverage.
The neck collar is raised a bit to offer protection from the wind, and the elastic chest design allows freedom of movement and a snug comfortable fit.
The Kuoser coat goes on with ease and features Velcro closures around the neck and chest. There is one leg opening that your pup will have to put his front leg through.
Kuoser offers a Lifetime Money-Back on this coat.
- Stylish and Durable.
- Waterproof, windproof and warm.
- Insulated with thick polyester fibre.
- Made of polyester and terylene cotton.
- Reversible design, 2 coats in 1.
- Velcro closures around neck and chest.
- Elastic chest design.
- Buttonhole for leash/harness.
- Lifetime Money-Back.
- Available in various colours.
- Available in various sizes.
- Owners love how stylish this coat is and that it is a reversible design so they get 2 looks out of 1 coat.
- It is lightweight and keeps your dog warm and dry.
- Well-made coat at an affordable price.
- It offers great protection from the rain.
- It can easily be worn with a harness underneath.
- This coat washes well.
- Velcro closures seem to bother some dogs (the sound of it).
- Some owners have mentioned that this coat is an issue for their male dogs. It offers too much coverage around the belly and can be restrictive when their dog goes to the bathroom.
- Some owners mention the sizes are off, and that it fits small.
Should Dogs Wear Coats In The Cold?
While dogs already come with a fur coat, it may not be enough to keep them warm in cold weather. Certain breeds are sensitive to the cold and do need to wear a coat to stay warm.
According to PetMD, when the temperatures drop below 45 degrees Fahrenheit, dogs that are cold-averse will start to feel uncomfortable.
Let’s look at the dogs that will benefit from wearing a coat the most, below:
Dogs with short hair don’t handle the cold weather as well as dogs who have thick long fur to protect them. Compare it to yourself, long hair keeps us warmer than having short hair.
Dogs Without An Undercoat
Some breeds are fortunate enough to have a double-coat to protect them from the cold winter temperatures, such as the Golden Retriever. But, dogs who only have one coat tend to shiver and freeze when the temperatures drop.
Very slender dogs such as Greyhounds or Whippets need to be protected from the cold weather by wearing a coat because they lack the fat to insulate them.
Dogs who are suffering from illness or are trying to recover from being sick will need to stay warm in the cold weather. When you are sick you feel even colder and need to keep warm to speed up your recovery.
Senior dogs are more prone to illness because their immune system weakens with age, so a coat will benefit them to stay warm and healthy.
Dogs Suffering From Arthritis
Wearing a coat when the temperatures drop will benefit dogs who suffer from arthritis and will prevent the symptoms from getting worse.
Small Dogs And Puppies
Small dogs and puppies get cold much faster than large dogs because they can’t regulate their body temperature as well.
Breeds such as Golden Retrievers, Huskies, and Newfoundlands love the cold weather and already have double-coats so putting another layer on them could cause them to overheat. That being said, if these breeds are sick, senior or puppy, then a coat could benefit them.
To keep your dog even warmer in the winter and to protect his paws from the harsh winter elements, it is a good idea to invest in some dog boots.
Tips On Choosing The Best Cold Weather Dog Coat
When it comes to picking the best coat for your dog you should consider the following:
Style and Coverage
What style of coat does your dog prefer? Some dogs just hate hoods or sleeves and enjoy wearing a vest-style coat instead.
Coats that have high collars are great at keeping the wind away from your dog’s neck, but some dogs might find that too restrictive.
How warm the coat should be will depend on where you live and what type of dog you have. If your dog can’t handle the cold climate that you live in, you need to choose a coat with enough insulation to protect your dog from freezing.
You want the coat to keep your pup dry in wet snow or rainy conditions, or else what is the point of him wearing a coat?
If your dog is anything like mine and runs through the bush and rough terrain, you want a coat that is durable and will not rip or tear easily.
Easy To Put On/Off
Let’s face it, if the coat is not easy to put on your dog and you have to wrestle with him to get it on, then you’re not going to bother with it, are you?
You want a coat that goes on quickly and easily. Usually, the best coats are ones that go over the head and secure at the sides.
If your dog wears a harness, it is important for the coat to have an opening on the back to secure the leash.
A coat that has reflective strips are an added safety feature when walking at night. You could also add an LED collar for even more visibility at night.
Easy To Clean
Dog coats can get pretty dirty at times especially if your dog rolls in something, you’ll want one that can be machine washed.
How To Measure Your Dog For A Coat
Finding the right size and fit for your dog can be a daunting task, especially when shopping online. Be sure to use the manufacturer’s size chart as a guideline to get the best fit.
A dog coat should be comfortable and fit snug but not tight, and should not restrict your dog in any way.
A good place to start is by getting your dog’s weight and height. You will want to measure your dog’s neck size, chest, and length. Length is the most important because you don’t want the coat to be too short.
Out of the 7 best cold weather dog coats that I have reviewed, my top pick is the Weatherbeeta. It is super warm, waterproof and breathable, and provides the most coverage out of all of the coats.
The best coat for your dog might not be the one that I picked, and only you know best what style and coverage protection your dog requires.
Just remember that any coat you choose for your dog should be comfortable and allow your dog to move freely.
It seems that the number one complaint of any coat is the size. Be sure to measure your dog properly, maybe even measure twice and use the manufacturer’s sizing chart as a guideline.
Do you have a favourite cold-weather dog coat that’s not listed here? Does your dog wear a coat in the cold weather?
Please share your thoughts and comments below, and if you have any questions please ask.