Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
[Updated August 2019]
If you have ever woken up from a bad night’s sleep all sore and achy, you know well enough that it can ruin your whole day! Well, think of your dog having that same feeling, all sore and achy after not sleeping well, perhaps on a worn-out bed.
All dogs deserve to be provided with a comfortable bed, but large dogs especially need more support for their joints. Orthopedic beds are ideal for joint support and cushioning.
But, not all orthopedic beds are created equal and choosing the best one can be overwhelming.
Lucky for you, I have done all the hard work and have reviewed the best orthopedic dog beds for large dogs.
What Is An Orthopedic Dog Bed?
An orthopedic dog bed is a specialty bed that provides extra relief to dogs who suffer from joint disorders such as hip dysplasia, and arthritis. Orthopedic beds provide relief for dogs recovering from surgery.
The best orthopedic dog beds are designed with memory foam. Memory foam conforms to your dog’s entire body, helping to relieve pressure points.
An orthopedic dog bed is one that provides enough thickness and support to your dog so that your dog’s body does not feel the hard floor beneath him.
Check out this short video that compares an orthopedic dog bed to a regular dog bed. This video shows the Big Barker Orthopedic Dog Bed which is reviewed below.
Benefits Of Orthopedic Dog Beds
Most people hear the word orthopedic and assume that these types of beds are only beneficial to senior dogs suffering from joint issues.
While this is true, there are many other benefits of orthopedic dog beds, such as:
They Are Comfortable
Comfort is one of the top benefits of these types of beds. If you’ve ever slept on a memory foam bed yourself, you know firsthand that they provide a great night’s sleep. They are so comfortable, and your body is supported.
Great For Younger Dogs
Younger dogs will benefit from an orthopedic bed as well. Large dogs are more prone to hip dysplasia and other joint problems that don’t just develop at an older age.
Younger dogs can develop joint issues early on, and having an orthopedic dog bed will prevent aching bones and joints.
Great For Senior Dogs
Senior dogs sleep more as they get older and require extra support and cushioning for their tired achy bones.
As dogs get older they develop joint problems, arthritis, hip dysplasia, and muscle loss. An orthopedic bed will offer extra support so your dog will get better sleep and be more rejuvenated and active during the day.
Relief From Surgery
Injured dogs that have had surgery can find relief in an orthopedic bed. Orthopedic beds are designed to reduce pain and stiffness, and they hold in heat which increases circulation in your dog to encourage healing.
Support For Slim Dogs
Large breed dogs that are also very slim such as Greyhounds, can find relief in an orthopedic bed. Slim dogs need the extra cushioning and support that orthopedic beds provide to protect their bones.
What To Look For In An Orthopedic Dog Bed
With so many orthopedic dog beds on the market, you want to make sure you are getting the best bed for your dog. The following are some key qualities you need to look for:
You want to make sure that the bed is made from memory foam. Memory foam conforms to your dog’s body and distributes the weight evenly, which relieves pressure points on bones and joints.
Memory foam also adjusts to your dog’s body temperature allowing your dog to be at a comfortable temperature while resting. Memory foam allows airflow because it has air pockets.
Look for a bed that is made from slow recovery Visco-elastic memory foam. This foam will provide the most support and will last a long time.
Memory foam is rated from 3-5lbs, 5lbs is the highest quality, and will provide the most support for your dog.
Size And Thickness
Make sure the bed you choose has a large enough diameter for your dog. The larger the bed the less pressure it puts on your dog’s joints.
You want the bed to be large enough so that your dog can lay comfortably without having to curl up in an uncomfortable sleeping position.
Look for a bed that has a minimum thickness of 5 centimetres or 2 inches. You want to choose the thickest mattress available as this will provide the most support and will last a long time.
Make sure that the bed you buy has a removable and washable cover. If your dog has an accident on the bed you will definitely want a cover that can easily be taken off and washed.
Look for a bed that is made from waterproof materials, as this will protect it from any accidents.
Shape Of Bed
Orthopedic beds come in different shapes. Rectangular shaped beds are great if your dog likes to sprawl out at full length.
There are also donut and bolster style beds that have raised sides. These beds are great if your dog likes to rest and elevate his head, or likes to lean against something for security.
Large lounger style beds are great for large dogs to spread out on in comfort.
The shape of the bed that you choose should match your dog’s sleeping position. Take the time to observe how your pet sleeps whether it is curled up in a ball, leaning against something, or spreading out at full length.
Some beds will have the added benefit of having a non-slip bottom. This is definitely a plus if you are putting the bed in an area that has a hard floor such as tile or hardwood. You don’t want the bed to slide around when your dog is getting on and off the bed.
The Best Orthopedic Dog Beds For Large Dogs
1. Big Barker Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed
The Big Barker is specially made for large and extra-large dogs. Made in the USA of the best quality therapeutic foam, this bed is guaranteed to retain its shape and not flatten.
This bed will offer your large breed dog an amazing 7″ of cushioning and support. Your dog will not be able to sink down to the floor, in fact, full-grown humans feel comfortable on this bed.
- Available in 3 sizes, Large, Extra Large, and Giant.
- Available in 4 colours.
- Made with 7″ of American made therapeutic foam.
- Will not flatten, the foam retains 90% of its original shape and loft.
- 10 Year Money-Back Warranty.
- Made in the USA.
- Made with open-cell foam which allows air to circulate through the bed. The bed stays cool, and so does your dog.
- The cover is made of 100% microfiber. It is comfortable and soft to the touch. The cover is durable and removable. It is machine washable.
- Foam structure distributes your dog’s weight evenly and eliminates pressure points.
- No toxic chemical smell. Big Barker uses better ingredients and takes better care of its foam than industry standards. You can feel safe knowing your dog won’t be breathing in any toxic smells.
- This bed has been tested by over 50,000 dog owners and their dogs since 2012 and has passed with flying colours.
- This bed is durable and guaranteed to support your dog for at least 10 years.
- Will not flatten, it is built exclusively for large dogs.
- Dog owners love how their dog is able to sleep soundly through the night without having to adjust themselves.
- Owners love the high-quality cover because of its durability.
- This bed is super sturdy and super comfortable.
- The memory foam is open-cell which regulates your dog’s body temperature.
- There is no toxic chemical smell for your dog to breathe in.
- This bed is expensive, but owners say it is worth the money.
- Does not include a waterproof inner liner, you need to purchase that separately.
- The bed is not chew proof. It is not meant for aggressive chewers.
2. Kopeks Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed With Pillow
The Kopeks bed is made of solid 7″ thick high-grade orthopedic memory foam. It includes a built-in pillow that is 3″ thick to support your dog’s head and neck.
This bed offers a double-layer of protection. An inner waterproof cover to protect the foam, and a plush exterior cover to provide softness and comfort.
- Made of solid hypoallergenic high-grade orthopedic memory foam.
- Memory foam is 7″ thick, and pillow is 3″ thick.
- 2 Covers can be easily removed and washed.
- 1 Waterproof interior cover, and 1 plush exterior cover.
- Anti-slip rubber bottom.
- Covers have reinforced stitching for extra durability.
- 30 Day money-back guarantee.
- This bed will not flatten, it is very thick and offers great support. One owner has mentioned it is supportive enough for him, and he weighs 140lbs.
- Includes a waterproof inner liner.
- The cover is easy to remove and easy to wash.
- This bed offers plenty of room for your dog to lay on.
- The memory foam takes 3-4 days to fully plump up.
- This bed has a chemical smell to it and needs to be aired out for a few days before using it.
- There is no mention of a warranty. This bed only comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
3. Friends Forever Orthopedic Dog Bed Lounge Sofa
The Friends Forever bed is the perfect comfort spot for dogs who love to snuggle up and lounge on the sofa.
With its thick and supportive bolsters, your dog may never want to get out of this bed.
- Available in 4 sizes.
- Available in 4 colours.
- The largest size (XXL Jumbo), holds up to 130lbs.
- Double-layer of protection. Inner water-resistant liner, and durable anti-tear outer cover.
- The outer cover is fur and hair resistant. The cover is removable and easy to wash.
- Made of solid human-grade mattress foam, 4″ thick.
- 1-Year Warranty.
- Bolsters are extremely thick and supportive, perfect for dogs who enjoy head support.
- Owners appreciate that the cover is easy to remove, clean and reassemble.
- Dogs love this bed and do not want to get off of it.
- Owners of this bed have mentioned that there is no chemical smell.
- This bed is expensive, but owners say it is worth the price.
- A few owners have mentioned that the rubber skids on the bottom have come off in the washing machine.
- There have been a few mentions of the zippers breaking. This could be due to a manufacturer’s defect.
4. The Dog’s Bed Orthopedic Dog Bed
The Dog’s Bed is a premium quality waterproof orthopedic bed. This bed is ideal for dogs who love to stretch out. It is available without bolsters, or you can choose the headrest edition.
This bed features a waterproof inner liner and a durable outer cover, giving you double-protection.
- Solid 2″ thick premium-grade, high-density orthopedic memory foam over a solid 4″ thick high stability premium support foam.
- Double-layer of protection. Inner waterproof cover, and outer cover.
- Covers are easy to remove, easy to wash and quick-drying.
- Replacement covers can be purchased separately.
- Choose from a soft plush cover or an easy to clean cover.
- Choose from flat surface bed or headrest edition.
- The thickness of this bed is a total of 6″. It is very supportive.
- Great for dogs who love to stretch out without having any bolsters. Also comes in a headrest edition for dogs who want to rest their head on a pillow.
- Owners of this bed love how it holds its shape and support, it will not flatten.
- The covers are easy to remove and wash.
- There have been a few complaints about the outer cover. Some say that the non-plush cover feels rough like plastic, and it is thin and not durable. It is also noisy when the dog moves around.
- One owner mentioned the foam is so dense and does not regulate their dog’s body temperature. Their dog was hot laying on this bed.
- Not chew-proof, not meant for aggressive chewers.
5. PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed
The PetFusion ultimate dog bed is made of a solid 4″ thick memory foam base, and features bolsters that are generously stuffed with recycled green polyfill.
This bed features an attractive design that fits into any décor, and more importantly, your dog will be able to sleep soundly.
- Solid 4″ memory foam base.
- Support bolsters that are generously stuffed.
- Includes a waterproof inner liner to protect the bed.
- The outer cover is made of breathable polyester and cotton fabric. It is water-resistant and tear-resistant.
- Replacement covers are available separately.
- The cover is easy to remove and wash.
- Non-skid bottom.
- The largest size (XXL Jumbo), easily holds 200lbs.
- 12 Month Warranty on any part that is broken.
- This bed is durable and comfortable. It is solid memory foam, 4″ thick.
- Owners love how the cover can be easily washed or spot cleaned.
- Includes a waterproof inner cover.
- This bed holds its shape and will not flatten.
- One owner mentioned that the interior space of the bed with the bolsters is actually more than other beds. His dog had much more room to lay down and be comfortable.
- The outside cover is slick. One owner mentioned putting a fleece blanket over the bed.
- The cover easily shows stains and dog slobber. One owner mentioned this of the grey one.
- A few owners have mentioned that the zippers broke.
Tough Decision But…The Winner Is
Out of the 5 beds that I have reviewed, my top pick is the Big Barker Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed.
I chose this bed as the winner because it is a high-quality dog bed. It is made in the USA and the bed has no toxic-chemical smell.
This bed is expensive, but it is built to last. I appreciate the fact that it comes with a 10-Year Warranty. I know that my money is well spent on this bed because it will not flatten or lose its shape.
The downside is that it does not come with a waterproof liner, you need to purchase that separately.
When it comes to choosing the best orthopedic dog beds for large dogs, it is important to remember that a dog bed is an investment. You certainly don’t want to settle for a cheap poorly built bed that you will need to replace because it didn’t last.
It is important to keep your dog’s comfort and well-being in mind and choose a bed that will match your dog’s sleeping style.
Do you have an aggressive chewer at home? Be sure to check out my review of the best chew proof dog beds guaranteed!
What About You?
Which orthopedic dog bed is your favourite? What is the most important factor for you when choosing a dog bed?
Share your thoughts and comments below. I would love to hear from you.
Latest posts by Jenny (see all)
- Golden Retriever Face Masks [8 Favourites] - April 6, 2021
- Mushers Secret For Dogs [The Best Invisible Dog Boot] - March 8, 2021
- Surgical Suit For Dogs -6 Best Reviewed - February 3, 2021