Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link & purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
[UPDATED July 2021]
Are you looking for the best toys for Golden Retrievers? You’ve come to the right place! Being an owner of this wonderful breed myself, I know firsthand which toys are best suited for this breed.
Golden Retrievers just love to carry things in their mouths, and can usually be seen carrying a stick, tennis ball, or their favourite plush toy. They also have a natural love for the water, playing fetch, and retrieving.
The best toys for Golden Retrievers are ones that appeal to their characteristics. I have put together a list of 11 great finds that include soft toys for carrying, toys for fetching and toys that float on the water.
Golden Retrievers love to chew, and they’re also super smart, which is why this list couldn’t be complete without chew toys and toys that keep their mind stimulated.
Find out below which 11 toys made the list, but first, read on to discover what to consider when picking the best toys for your Golden Retriever.
How To Pick The Best Toys For Golden Retrievers
Determine Your Dog’s Chewing Style
Every Golden Retriever will differ in what toys they like best, so you need to determine how your dog likes to play, and their chewing style.
If your dog is a gentle chewer then a soft plush toy is suitable. However, if your dog is an aggressive chewer you will want to look for tough chew toys that are durable enough to withstand power chewing.
Keep Safety In Mind
Safety is the most important factor to consider when buying toys. Look for toys that are made of non-toxic materials, and safe for your dog to be playing with and chewing on. Avoid any toy that can easily break into small pieces and become a choking hazard.
Realistic Toys Are Great
Toys that look realistic are usually the ones that your Golden will love to play with the most. Realistic toys help bring out your dog’s natural prey drive.
Realistic-looking plush toys are a favourite for my Golden Retriever Ellie. Animals such as rabbits, squirrels, and foxes, are among her favourites. If they have a squeaker in them, that’s even better!
Have A Variety On Hand
Having a variety of toys on hand is a good idea to keep your Golden Retriever entertained and to prevent boredom. Your golden will be fascinated with any “new” toy that you add to the collection. You will know which toy is your dog’s favourite because it will be the toy your dog grabs all the time and brings to you.
Join In On The Fun
Golden’s love human attention, and you are their whole world, which is why your Golden Retriever will enjoy any toy a lot more when you join in on the fun.
Puppies Need Special Toys
Always choose age-appropriate toys for your Golden Retriever. Puppy toys are specially designed for puppy teeth, and they are smaller in size. Check out my list of the best teething toys for puppies.
11 Best Toys For Golden Retrievers
This list includes a little bit of everything from soft plush toys, rope toys, squeaker toys and realistic-looking toys, to tennis balls. I am certain you will find a great toy that your Golden Retriever will love.
1. XL Rope Toy by Kiliki
This thick and sturdy rope toy is made to last and is great for aggressive chewers and teething puppies. It’s really great for all Goldens because it is the perfect toy to carry, shake, play tug-of-war with, and fetch.
This rope toy claims to be nearly indestructible, and more durable than other rope toys on the market. If your Golden Retriever loves to chew and is a bit of an aggressive chewer, this rope toy is perfect. It is made of 100% natural cotton, making it completely safe and non-toxic, and it is odourless.
It is XL in size and measures 3 feet long with 5 large knots to chew on. Rope toys are a great way to satisfy your dog’s chewing habits, prevent boredom and help keep your dog’s teeth clean.
- XL rope toy with 5 large knots.
- Made of 100% natural cotton fibres.
- Safe & non-toxic.
- Machine washable.
- Nearly indestructible.
- 36 inches long & 1.65 pounds.
- It is very thick and heavy and holds up extremely well to numerous play and chewing sessions.
- Helps to exercise your dog’s jaw muscles and keep teeth clean.
- A great toy for playing tug-of-war or fetching and retrieving.
- It is heavy and can hurt when your dog shakes it and hits you in the legs.
- As mentioned, it is “nearly indestructible”, some dogs will still be able to destroy this toy.
- The frayed ends are usually the first thing your dog will go for, supervision is a must with this toy.
2. Hide-A-Squirrel Puzzle Toy by Outward Hound
Golden Retrievers not only have beauty but they have brains too. Did you know that they’re actually the fourth smartest dog breed? According to The Intelligence of Dogs by Stanley Coren, they trail behind the Border Collie, Poodle and German Shepherd.
Your smart Golden Retriever needs to be stimulated daily. This interactive puzzle toy by Outward Hound is a great choice to keep your Golden from getting bored.
The Hide-A-Squirrel is a super cute plush puzzle toy that has many uses. This toy is XL in size and features 6 plush squirrels that hide inside a tree trunk. Each squirrel has a noise-making squeaker inside to entice your dog further.
Your dog will be entertained for hours trying to get the squirrels out of the tree trunk. Toss the squirrels for an enticing game of fetch, or hide them in your house or outside and let your dog hunt for them.
- Interactive puzzle toy.
- Soft and gentle on your dog’s mouth.
- Stimulates your dog’s mind.
- Measures 13″ high by 8″ wide.
- Includes 6 plush squirrels, each with a squeaker inside.
- Replacement animals can be purchased.
- A fun toy that challenges your dog’s problem solving skills.
- It is versatile, you can use it as a puzzle toy, or for tossing and fetching.
- Each squirrel has a squeaker inside which dogs love.
- It keeps your Golden Retriever busy for hours.
- It is a plush toy that is intended for gentle chewers.
- Not for aggressive chewers.
- You cannot get a replacement tree trunk.
3. Outward Hound Invincibles Stuffingless Snake
The Outward Hound Invincibles Snake is one of the best noise-making toys around. This snake is XL in size and features 6 squeakers that keep on squeaking even after they have been punctured.
The Invincibles Snake is specially designed for rough play. It stands up to tough chewers and will last through numerous games of tugging and tossing.
Outward Hound has made this toy even stronger and more durable with a Dura-Tuff inner lining and reinforced double-stitched seams. There is no stuffing inside, so there is no mess.
It is great for Golden Retrievers because it is lightweight to carry, can be chewed on and is soft and cuddly.
- Durable for long-lasting fun.
- 2 layers of super-tough fabric, Dura-Tuff inner lining prevents ripping.
- 6 puncture-resistant squeakers.
- Lightweight, perfect for tossing and fetching.
- XL measures 40″ long and 4″ wide.
- Dogs love squeakers, and these ones are puncture resistant.
- Soft and gentle on your dog’s mouth.
- Easy to carry and easy to grab.
- Super durable and well-made.
- They can be machine-washed.
- Not indestructible, aggressive chewers will still be able to rip the fabric apart and expose the squeakers.
- Made in China.
4. Hyper Pet K9 Kannon K2 Ball Launcher
It’s safe to say that pretty much all Golden Retrievers love to fetch tennis balls. Some love it so much that they can spend hours doing so, making your arm feel like it’s about to fall off!
Why not give your arm a break and allow your dog to engage in endless games of fetch. The Hyper Pet K9 Kannon K2 Ball Launcher will do the hard work for you.
This full-size tennis ball launcher features a quick trigger and an adjustable lever that lets you launch tennis balls at a great distance. The further you pull back on the lever, the further the ball launches.
You can even keep your hands free of dirt and slobber with the hands-free pick-up. Simply place the barrel over the ball on the ground and push down gently to pick it up.
- Includes 1 Hyper Pet K9 Kannon Ball Launcher & 1 Hyper Pet Tennis Ball.
- Full-size ball launcher measures 24″ long.
- Quick trigger seamless tennis ball launch.
- Adjust the distance by pulling the lever.
- Hands-free pick up.
- Compatible with Hyper Pet regular tennis balls.
- Saves your arms and shoulders from pain.
- Keeps your hands dirt and slobber free.
- Fun and exciting for your dog.
- Keeps your dog guessing as to how far the ball gets launched.
- It is loud when you pull the trigger.
- The rubber band tends to break easily.
5. Chuckit! Amphibious Bumper Floating Fetch Toy
Golden Retrievers are natural-born swimmers and love to engage in a game of fetch in the water. The Chuckit! Amphibious Bumper toy is lightweight so it floats and the bright colour allows you to see it at a distance.
This toy is durable but soft enough to be comfortable for your golden to carry. It is made of nylon, rubber and EVA foam. Chuckit! is a brand well-known for making durable dog toys, and the Amphibious Bumper toy is no exception.
This bumper toy is designed for long-lasting water fun. It features a knotted rope handle that allows you to easily toss it with a non-slip grip. The exterior can easily be wiped clean and is resistant to dirt and slobber.
- Rubber & EVA foam construction.
- Nylon exterior.
- Lightweight and floats.
- Durable construction.
- Knotted rope handle provides a non-slip grip.
- Highly-visible colour.
- Easy to clean, dirt & slobber resistant.
- Easy for your dog to grab in the water or on land.
- Durable enough for rough play.
- Bright colour is easy to see in the water or in tall grass.
- Soft and gentle on your dog’s mouth.
- Not intended as a chew toy.
- The stitching tends to come apart on the nylon exterior.
6. KONG Jumbler Football Dog Toy
The KONG Jumbler Football puts a new spin on a classic game of fetch. The tennis ball inside the football jumbles around and gives off a loud squeak. The exterior football has enough give to it that will allow your Golden Retriever to easily grab it and shake it.
With two handles on each end, this football is easy to throw and easy for your dog to fetch. The lightweight design of this toy makes it great for water play too! It floats and thanks to its bright colour it can easily be spotted in the water or on land from a distance.
KONG is known for making toys that are durable and built to last, and the Jumbler Football toy will last through numerous play sessions.
With an unpredictable bounce, this toy will keep your Golden guessing as to where it will land next.
- 2 in 1 Interactive dog toy.
- Interior tennis ball squeaks and jumbles around.
- Exterior football has an unpredictable bounce.
- Floats on water.
- 2 handles on each end.
- Durable design.
- L/XL size.
- A fun and versatile toy that jumbles, bounces and squeaks.
- Great for fetching on the land or in the water, it floats.
- Easy for dogs to pick up and shake.
- Durable design that KONG is known for.
- Not indestructible.
- Not the best to throw as a football.
7. Chuckit! Ultra Squeaker Ball 2-Pack
The list of best toys for Golden Retrievers couldn’t be complete without tennis balls for fetching. Chuckit! combines 2 of your dog’s favourite things into one, a ball that squeaks! Plus, this is a 2 pack, so it is a great value.
Unlike regular tennis balls that have abrasive felt that can wear your dog’s teeth down, the Chuckit! Ultra Squeaker Ball is safe on gums and teeth.
It is made of durable rubber that has an incredibly high bounce, no matter what surface it lands on. The smooth rubber surface resists dirt and slobber, and the fun bright colours allow you to see this ball from a distance.
The Ultra Squeaker Ball is medium in size, measuring 2.5 inches, and is compatible with the Classic, Pro and Sport style launchers which are sold separately.
- Pack of 2 balls.
- Medium size, 2.5″.
- Durable, high-bounce rubber.
- Safe on gums & teeth.
- Floats on the water.
- Built-in squeaker.
- Dirt & slobber resistant.
- Compatible with Chuckit! launchers.
- The built-in squeaker makes fetching this ball more enticing.
- Durable design that Chuckit! is known for.
- Lightweight & easy to throw.
- Safe & gentle for your dog to chew on, won’t wear your dog’s teeth down.
- The squeaker doesn’t last long, however the ball does.
- Not as durable as the Chuckit! Ultra Ball (without squeaker).
- Supervision is a must, as some dogs that are aggressive chewers can access the squeaker parts.
8. Multipet Lambchop 10″ Plush Dog Toy
The Multipet Lambchop is a favourite toy among many Golden Retrievers, my Golden Retriever Ellie included! She absolutely loves this soft and cuddly plush Lambchop.
This cute toy is intended for gentle chewers and makes a great cuddle buddy. It is 10 inches long and is the perfect size for your Golden Retriever to carry around. Many owners claim that this is their dog’s favourite toy and because of that their dog is so gentle with it.
This toy will surely be your Golden’s favourite too! It features a squeaker in each paw and a larger squeaker in the body, totalling 5 squeakers. It is a plush toy, so it is not ideal for aggressive chewers but is great for fetching or as a comfort toy.
- Measures 10″ long.
- Super soft & cuddly plush.
- 5 squeakers total, 1 in each paw & 1 in the body.
- Machine washable.
- Definitely a favourite toy among Golden Retrievers.
- The perfect size to carry around.
- It is well-made and super cute.
- A great comfort toy.
- Built-in squeakers make this toy even more fun.
- Made in China.
- Destroyed easily by aggressive chewers.
- Owners tend to buy more than 1 of these to have as a backup, because their dog loves it so much.
9. Pet Lou Colossal Rabbit 15″ Plush Dog Toy
The Pet Lou Colossal Rabbit is another favourite among Golden Retrievers. This realistic-looking rabbit will certainly bring out your dog’s natural hunting instincts. It measures 15 inches which makes it ideal for your Golden Retriever to carry around.
It is perfect for chasing and snuggling with. This rabbit squeaks, grunts, and the ears crinkle. This plush toy is designed to last and is more durable than most plush toys for dogs.
The Colossal Rabbit is made of ultra-thick and durable plush. The seams are double-stitched to withstand hours of tugging, pulling, chewing and biting from your dog. The squeakers inside are designed to last a long time.
- Realistic looking rabbit, in vivid colours.
- Soft plush toy, double-stitched for extra durability.
- Large 15″ size, perfect for Golden Retrievers to carry.
- Ideal for gentle chewing sessions.
- Multiple squeakers, it grunts, and the ears crinkle.
- Machine washable.
- It is well-made and cute.
- Realistic looking toy that dogs go crazy for.
- Soft and cuddly and gentle on your dog’s mouth.
- A favourite among Golden Retrievers, it brings them comfort.
- Not intended for aggressive chewers.
- It is made in China.
- Dogs tend to rip the fur off this toy easily, supervision is a must.
10. Fluff and Tuff Nuts The Squirrel
Your Golden is sure to love chasing Nuts The Squirrel, its tail is fluffy and the body is sturdy, making it ideal for tugging and fetching.
It is very realistic looking and feeling, which will bring out your dog’s hunting instincts. This soft plush toy is medium in size, measuring 12 inches long.
Fluff and Tuff Nuts The Squirrel features one large durable squeaker that is enclosed in its own stitched fabric pouch. This toy is well-made and durable and great for gentle chewing or cuddling. It features double-stitched seams and is stuffed with non-toxic polyester fibre.
- Realistic-looking plush toy.
- 12″ long, medium-sized toy.
- Made of non-toxic materials.
- One large squeaker in the body, enclosed in its own stitched fabric pouch.
- All seams are double-stitched.
- Interactive toy.
- Stuffed with non-toxic polyester fibre.
- Machine washable.
- Realistic-looking squirrel that entices your dog’s prey drive.
- It squeaks which makes it even more fun.
- Well-made and durable.
- Great choice for dogs who love soft toys to carry around.
- Lasts a long time, even after numerous rough plays.
- Not tough enough for aggressive chewers.
- Not as durable as other toys from the same brand.
11. goDog Dragons Skinny Dog Toy
The goDog Dragons is a soft plush toy that will hold up to heavy chewing thanks to its Chew Guard Technology. It features a heavy-duty chew-resistant lining and reinforced seams to make this toy extra durable.
goDog plush toys are designed to be tougher, stronger and last longer than other plush toys for dogs. They even guarantee this toy to last or you get a one-time free replacement or your money back.
This toy features a bright green textured bubble plush which is soft and gentle on your dog’s mouth. A noise-making squeaker is in the body to entice your dog and the limbs of the dragon dangle.
The dragon is long and skinny, making it the perfect toy for your Golden to carry in its mouth.
- Made with Chew Guard Technology.
- Chew-resistant lining & reinforced seams.
- 1 squeaker inside the body.
- Large toy, measuring 18 x 14.25 x 8.5″.
- 30 day money-back guarantee or one-time replacement.
- Textured bubble plush.
- The wings make a crinkle noise.
- This toy definitely lasts longer than any other plush toy, even after numerous chew sessions.
- Great for tug-of-war and fetch.
- It’s easy to carry around and is soft on your dog’s mouth.
- It squeaks and the limbs dangle.
- Comes with a guarantee.
- This toy is stronger than other plush toys, but it is not indestructible. Aggressive chewers can still rip it.
- Parts of the Dragon such as the pink spikes on the back are not reinforced or as durable, some dogs were able to chew them off.
That concludes our list of the best toys for Golden Retrievers. I truly believe that your golden will love any of the toys mentioned above, especially when you join in on the fun.
When choosing a toy for your golden, always keep safety in mind, you don’t want to choose a toy that will easily break into small pieces or rip apart easily. Always supervise your dog with any toy, and remove damaged toys immediately before they become a choking hazard.
Golden Retrievers are highly intelligent dogs who love to swim and play fetch, providing toys that offer mental stimulation will keep your golden happy and healthy.
What toy does your Golden Retriever love the best? Let me know in the comments below, I would love to hear from you.
Latest posts by Jenny (see all)
- 8 Amazing Canine Water Toys Your Dog Will Love - July 6, 2021
- Best Dog Pool For Large Dogs [6 Best Reviewed] - June 22, 2021
- Golden Retriever vs Goldendoodle – Pros and Cons of Each - June 11, 2021