Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link & purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
If you own a water-loving dog as I do, you probably have a hard time keeping your dog out of the water! Canine water toys are a must in my house, my Golden Retriever Ellie loves to retrieve them.
Water toys are a great way to take your game of fetch to the lake or pool, allowing your dog to have fun while cooling off. Most dogs love to splash around in the water, and many are natural-born swimmers. However, some need some coaching and practice, that’s where a water toy will come in handy.
Water toys can be a great training aid to encourage your pup to enjoy the water and learn to swim. Even if your dog isn’t a fan of the water, the toys listed below are versatile so they can be used on land too.
If you’re looking for some amazing canine water toys to take to the lake, beach or pool this summer, look no further as I have listed 8 of the best below. Be sure to check out my helpful buying guide and safety tips near the end of the article too.
8 Best Canine Water Toys
Below are 8 of my top picks that any water-loving dog will love.
1. Ruff Dawg Flying Fish Floating Dog Toy
Nothing says summer fun like catching a fish in the water. The Ruff Dawg Flying Fish makes for one easy and fun catch of the day! Your water-loving dog will have endless fun retrieving this toy.
The Flying Fish is great to take to the lake or pool or let your dog retrieve it on land. It is made of natural rubber that is lightweight to make it float, as well as give it great bounce on land.
It features a rope hole (rope not included) to make reeling it in a little easier, as well as make catching this fish a little more enticing to your pup.
This toy is 100% made in the USA, of superior quality rubber, that is non-toxic. The natural rubber is soft and flexible so your dog can easily grab it without hurting his teeth or gums. You can feel good knowing your dog is chewing something safe and durable. This toy is tear and puncture-resistant and will last through endless games of fetch.
- Buoyant water toy.
- Made of natural rubber, non-toxic.
- Soft & flexible, gentle on teeth and gums.
- 100% Made in the USA.
- Durable, tear & puncture-resistant.
- Highly visible in bright neon colours.
- Measures 9.5″ long, suitable for medium to large dogs.
- FDA approved.
- The toy is recyclable.
- It holds up extremely well, many owners mention this toy has lasted and has shown no teeth marks from their dogs grabbing it.
- When thrown in the water, the fish sinks down a bit then quickly floats which adds to your dog’s excitement.
- The fish gets slippery when wet, which mimics a real fish and adds to your pup’s excitement.
- It flings really well in the air and it skips in the water.
- Dogs really seem to love this toy, with many owners mentioning it is their dog’s favourite.
- This toy has multi-uses, great for water play as well as bouncing on land.
- You cannot choose the colour you want, one is automatically sent to you.
- The rope hole seems to be the first area to be destroyed if you have an aggressive chewer.
- It should not be left out in the sun, or it will become sticky and tacky.
2. Chuckit! Amphibious Bumper Floating Fetch Toy
Chuckit! is a well-known brand for designing and making dog toys that are durable and virtually indestructible. All of the Chuckit! toys come in bright colours which make them easy to spot whether they land in tall grass, on the beach or in the water.
The Amphibious Bumper features an EVA foam and rubber construction which gives the toy its buoyancy for water play. The exterior is made of durable nylon which is soft and gentle on your dog’s teeth and gums. A knotted rope handle makes throwing this toy easy and allows for a non-slip grip during games of fetch.
As with all Chuckit! toys, the Amphibious Bumper is intended for repeated throwing and catching. It will last a long time and withstand aggressive chewing. The nylon and rubber exterior is dirt and slobber resistant and can be wiped clean.
All dogs can enjoy this toy, as it is available in both small and medium sizes.
- Fetching & floating dog toy.
- Bright highly visible colours.
- Made of EVA foam & rubber.
- Durable nylon exterior.
- Knotted rope handle for throwing & non-slip grip.
- Lightweight & floats on water.
- Withstands aggressive chewing.
- Easily wipes clean, resists dirt & slobber.
- 2 sizes available, small & medium.
- Available in green or orange.
- It is lightweight and soft and easy for dogs to grab in the water.
- This toy dries quickly.
- Easy to throw this toy long distance, without hurting your arm.
- Dogs love this water retrieval toy.
- The bright colour makes this toy easy to spot.
- Very sturdy and holds up well, many owners mention that there are no signs of teeth marks after numerous games of fetch.
- Not intended for tug-of-war, even though there is a rope attached to it.
- This is not a chew toy, it is only intended for retrieving. It will not last long if you allow your dog to chew on it.
- A few owners mention that the seams of the nylon exterior come apart easily.
- It is available in green or orange, but there is no choice of colour.
3. Nerf Dog Durable Nylon Flyer
Nerf Dog toys are both durable and functional and designed to last. The Nerf Dog Flyer is a lightweight nylon flying disc that soars far and features a tear-resistant coating.
In this 2 pack, you get one bright blue flyer and one bright red flyer, which is a great value! Each flying disc is soft and flexible so your dog can easily grab it without hurting his teeth or gums, and the colours are easy to spot from a distance.
The Nerf Dog Flyer is the perfect toy for dogs who love to catch frisbees, you can take your game of fetch to the lake, beach or pool. This flying disc floats and is water and weather-resistant.
It measures 9 inches and is ideal for medium and large breeds.
- 2-Pack includes 1 red and 1 blue flyer.
- Lightweight & floats on water.
- Durable tear-resistant coating.
- Thermoplastic rubber ring with a nylon exterior.
- Soft & flexible.
- Weather & water-resistant.
- 100% non-toxic, BPA-free & FDA approved.
- These flyers are great, they are soft enough for your dog to catch without hurting their teeth.
- They are flexible and lightweight, making them ideal for both tossing and tugging.
- Surprisingly durable, these flyers have held up well to daily use of tugging and tossing.
- They soar really far and are perfect for fetch.
- Many owners mention the Nerf Dog Flyer is their dog’s favourite toy, it flies the best compared to other brands.
- Holds up well even if you leave it outside in the elements.
- The material is thin and easily gets holes in it. However, it still works.
- The frisbee gets gross with dog slobber.
- Not intended as a chew toy, it will not hold up to heavy chewers.
4. LaRoo Dog Flying Disc
The LaRoo Dog Flying Disc is perfect for water-loving dogs! This lightweight toy is made of indestructible EVA materials that will never break down into sharp fragments. It is a versatile toy that can be used for throwing, fetching, tug-of-war, and chewing.
The surface design features raised nubs that help clean your dog’s teeth, and the ribbed handle design makes it easy and comfortable for you to throw. Thanks to its lightweight design, this toy won’t hurt your arm and it has great buoyancy.
LaRoo’s Dog Flying Disc is available in 2 sizes; 7 inches diameter for small to medium dogs, and 11 inches diameter for medium to large dogs. It comes in neon green and orange, both colours can easily be spotted from a distance.
- Made of high-quality & food grade HD EVA ABS material.
- Soft & gentle on your dog’s mouth.
- Surface design cleans dogs teeth.
- Versatile toy used for throwing, fetching, tug-of-war, & chewing.
- Floats on water.
- High-visible colour.
- 2 Sizes available; 11″ and 7″ diameter.
- Easy to clean.
- This toy gets great reviews from dog owners who have heavy chewers. This ring has lasted extremely well with daily use of aggressive play. It does show teeth marks, but this toy is pretty much indestructible.
- It is super lightweight, so throwing it is easy on your arm as well as your dog’s mouth when catching it.
- This toy is very versatile, it floats in the water and it bounces on land.
- A great toy for dogs of all sizes.
- Made of safe materials, and it will not break down into small dangerous fragments.
- As a frisbee, it doesn’t fly very well.
- Make sure to choose the appropriate size for your dog. If you get a ring that is too large, it could fit around your dog’s body and be dangerous if your dog gets stuck.
- Some aggressive chewers were able to destroy this toy.
5. Spunky Pup Fly & Fetch Duck
This canine water toy will appeal to your dog’s natural prey instincts. The Spunky Pup Fly & Fetch Duck is a realistic-looking toy that your water-loving dog will want to retrieve from the water or land over and over again.
It features a built-in bungee to make this toy launch up to 100 feet in the air. The exterior is made of ballistic nylon which is super tough and durable, the inside is plush and there is a cotton rope on the end for easy throwing and retrieving.
If you are training your dog to retrieve, this toy would be ideal, it’s great for the lake, beach or pool.
- Made of ballistic nylon, plush & cotton rope.
- Launches up to 100 feet with a built-in bungee.
- Floats on the water.
- Great retrieval toy.
- Dogs seem to love realistic toys the best, and this one is great for bringing out your dog’s natural hunting instincts.
- It is lightweight and floats great.
- A fun toy that is great for teaching your dog to retrieve, especially Golden Retrievers and Labs.
- Flies at a great distance.
- Great toy for the water.
- This toy is not ideal for heavy chewers, it is intended for dogs who are gentle with their toys.
- The stitching comes apart easily.
- Some reviews mention that it doesn’t fly as far as the toy claims.
6. Outward Hound Floatiez Dog Toy
This adorable turtle is a great toy to take to the lake or pool, and it entices your dog to become a better swimmer.
This water-fun toy is made from heavy-duty quick-drying nylon, tennis ball, and noodle foam materials. It features a squeaker inside that makes a giggler sound every time your pup bites it or shakes it.
Unlike other floating toys, this one floats upright to make it easier to see and grab in the water. The bright colours of this turtle make it easy to spot from a distance, whether it’s in the water or in tall grass. It also doubles as a winter toy that can be used in the snow.
If your dog isn’t a fan of turtles, there are other sea-inspired creatures in the Outward Hound Floatiez collection to choose from.
- Measures 10″ wide by 10.5″ long.
- Made of sturdy nylon, tennis ball & noodle foam.
- Squeaker inside that makes a giggler sound.
- Floats upright in the water.
- Highly-visible colours.
- Versatile toy, great for water and in the snow.
- Safe and non-toxic.
- This is a great toy for dogs who love squeakers and stuffed animals.
- A very cute toy that is lightweight and floats upright.
- The giggler noise makes it even more enticing to your dog.
- It is easy to grab and gentle on your dog’s mouth.
- The turtle is well-made with sturdy construction.
- It is lightweight and can be thrown like a frisbee.
- It is definitely not a chew toy and is best suited for dogs who are gentle with their toys.
- It is made in China.
7. Chuckit! Amphibious Fetch Balls Set of 3
The Chuckit! Amphibious Fetch Ball is unsinkable and floats high on the water, and thanks to its fun bright colours it is easy to spot on land and in the water. This set of 3 is a great value and they are compatible with the medium-sized Chuckit! Launcher.
The Amphibious Fetch Ball is lightweight, made from durable materials, and designed to not pop when your dog fetches it. Unlike other tennis balls, this one is soft and gentle on your dog’s mouth.
Take your next game of fetch to the lake, pond, or pool with this great toy! Of course, it can also be used for endless games of fetch on land too.
- Pack of 3 balls.
- Lightweight, unsinkable & floats high on the water.
- Easy to grab.
- Soft & gentle on your dog’s mouth.
- Measures 2.5″ in diameter.
- Easy to clean.
- Made of durable material.
- Compatible with the medium-sized Chuckit! Launcher.
- This ball is easy to grab in the water because it is soft and squishy, and unlike regular tennis balls it doesn’t hold water.
- Can also be used indoors because it is lightweight and will not break anything when thrown.
- They have the ability to skip on the water, which just adds to your pup’s excitement.
- They are lightweight which makes them easy to throw farther, and they can be used with the Chuckit! Launcher.
- A durable ball for both salt water and chlorine.
- There is a tag on them which is usually the first thing that gets ripped off by aggressive chewers.
- It is not a chew toy, and should strictly be used for games of fetch.
- Many people wish this ball had a squeaker inside, but it doesn’t.
8. West Paw Zogoflex Rumpus Floating Dog Chew Toy
West Paw toys are super popular among dog owners because they are designed especially with aggressive chewers in mind. They are built to last and even come with a Love It Guarantee. West Paw will offer a one-time replacement or money-back if your dog doesn’t love the toy, or happens to destroy it.
If your dog loves the water, but you are hesitant to buy toys because they end up being destroyed, you should try West Paw. The Zogoflex Rumpus is a chew toy that floats on the water.
Thanks to the bright colour, the Zogoflex Rumpus is easy to spot in the water or grass. It is a solid toy that floats on water and bounces on land. It features 3 chew lobes to keep your chew fanatic pup engaged.
It is made of virtually indestructible Zogoflex material which is a plastic blend. West Paw toys are made in the USA, of non-toxic material that is safe for your dog.
- Floats on water & bounces on land.
- Made with zero-waste & recyclable Zogoflex material.
- Super durable, designed for aggressive chewers.
- Made in the USA.
- Dishwasher safe.
- BPA-free, Latex-free & FDA compliant.
- Safe & non-toxic.
- Backed by a Love it Guarantee.
- Available in 2 sizes; small & medium.
- Available in 3 bright colours.
- This toy lasts for a really long time and is great for aggressive chewers.
- A great toy for the pool or lake because it floats very well and dogs love it.
- It is made in the USA and does not have any chemical smell, like many other toys.
- This toy is solid so it stands up to heavy chewing, but it is lightweight and floats, perfect for water-loving dogs who love to chew.
- A bit pricey, however, it will last long and is backed by a guarantee. So the price is worth it.
- West Paw toys are often sold out and hard to find, due to their popularity.
- Some dogs are just not interested in this toy.
Canine Water Toys Buying Guide
Choosing the best canine water toys for your dog is a lot like buying regular dog toys. You want to make sure they are safe, the right size, durable, easy to clean and of course fun!
But, when it comes to water toys, in particular, there are a few other factors to consider, such as:
Water toys should be easy to spot from a distance. If you are throwing it in a lake or pool, you’ll want the toy to be bright in colour so that your dog can easily see it. Dull-coloured toys that blend in with the water will be harder to see, and if they happen to float away, you’ll have a hard time spotting them.
When toys get wet, they end up becoming slippery. This makes it harder for your dog to grab onto as well as for you to throw. Water toys should have a good grip on them, such as a textured surface, a rope attached, or raised bumpy surface.
Water toys should of course float! A water toy that doesn’t float cannot be called a water toy, plus it would be hard for your dog to retrieve it as well as unsafe.
Fun & Versatile
Water toys should be fun for your dog to retrieve from the water. The best water toys will be versatile so your dog can have fun with them out of the water too. All of the toys listed above can be enjoyed in the water as well as on land.
Canine Water Toys Safety
Canine water toys are designed to get your dog in the water. Whether your dog is a natural-born swimmer or just starting to get his paws wet, you’ll want to keep these safety tips in mind.
Is Your Dog A Strong Swimmer?
Before you toss a water toy into the lake or pool, you want to be sure that your dog can swim. Some dogs naturally take to the water, and others are very nervous about it. Make sure your dog is comfortable and confident in the water and is able to swim before throwing any toy in.
Choose The Appropriate Size of Toy
Choosing the right size of toy for your dog is very important. If the toy is too small it can become a choking hazard for your large dog. Or, if it is too large your small dog will have a hard time trying to retrieve it.
Always Supervise Your Dog
As with any toy, you should never leave your dog unattended with it. Many of the water toys listed above are not meant for heavy chewers, as small pieces could break off and be ingested by your dog. Always supervise your dog, and if you notice any damage to the toy, remove it immediately.
Be Careful of Sand Ingestion
If you are using water toys at the beach, you will need to be cautious of sand ingestion. Toys that get wet tend to get sand stuck on them and your dog could ingest the sand. Ingesting too much sand can cause sand impaction, which is when the intestines get blocked by sand.
Sand is unavoidable at the beach, therefore you need to monitor your pup and wipe any excess sand off the toys as much as possible.
I hope you enjoyed this list of canine water toys, as much as I have in putting it together. With so many water toys to choose from, it’s hard to pick just one. My all-time favourite is the Outward Hound Turtle because my dog loves noise-making plush toys.
Does your dog have a favourite canine water toy? Let me know in the comments below. I would love to hear from you.
Latest posts by Jenny (see all)
- 8 Amazing Canine Water Toys Your Dog Will Love - July 6, 2021
- Best Dog Pool For Large Dogs [6 Best Reviewed] - June 22, 2021
- Golden Retriever vs Goldendoodle – Pros and Cons of Each - June 11, 2021