Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link & purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
[UPDATED MARCH 2021]
Do chew-proof dog beds even exist? You may find yourself asking this very question, especially if you have spent money on beds that claim to be “tough”, only to find them chewed up and destroyed by your little terror, umm I mean “angel”.
Not all dog beds are created equal, and there is no such thing as an indestructible dog bed. However, there are beds that are nearly indestructible and will certainly put up a fight against heavy chewers.
These are the beds that you want to look for, tough chew-proof dog beds that will last for a long time. Investing in a tough bed designed to be chew-proof will save you money in the long run.
When you are looking for a bed you will first need to determine your dog’s chewing style. Is your dog a light, moderate, or aggressive chewer? Do you have a teething puppy?
The beds that I review below are great choices for light to moderate chewers, as well as a few options for puppies and heavy chewers.
All dogs deserve to have a comfortable bed to sleep on, and there are many options available even for your “chew monster”.
7 Of The Best Chew Proof Dog Beds
1. PetFusion PuppyChoice Dog Crate Pad
(Best Choice For Puppies, And Crates)
PetFusion is well-known for making high-quality, durable dog beds, and this Puppychoice dog crate pad is no exception! This crate pad is not only comfortable for your pup to lay on, but its strong fabric and design make this bed more durable than other crate pads on the market.
This bed is made of thick solid high-density foam to support your dog’s joints and offer improved mobility, energy and health. The side bolsters offer head and neck support.
This crate pad will fit any standard size crate including 1 and 2 door designs, or it can be used as a standalone bed. The non-skid bottom will prevent it from slipping around.
Accidents happen, but this bed features an inner waterproof liner and a water-resistant outer cover to prevent any spills from getting to the foam. The cover is made of 100% polyester microsuede fabric that can be removed and machine washed.
There are 2 zipper compartments that make it easy for you to remove the cover and easier to re-assemble. The hidden zippers will help keep your pup away from chewing them.
PetFusion directly states that this bed is not “puppy proof”, and that no bed is, but because of this bed’s high-density foam, tough fabric and waterproof liner, it is stronger than other beds on the market. This bed comes with a 1-Year Warranty.
- Durable & comfortable crate pad or standalone bed.
- Thick solid high-density foam base & bolsters.
- The thickness of foam: 1.2″ – 1.75″ depending on the size of the bed.
- Waterproof inner lining.
- Water-resistant outer microsuede cover.
- The removable cover can be machine washed.
- Non-skid bottom.
- Side handle for easy carrying or travel.
- 2 hidden zipper compartments.
- Compatible with all standard crates, even 1 & 2 door designs.
- 1-Year Warranty.
- The thick solid foam makes this bed durable and comfortable. It is great for growing puppies as well as any dog who needs joint support.
- The outer cover can easily be washed, and the foam is protected from any accidents by a waterproof liner.
- It is more durable than other crate pads and is backed by a 1-year warranty.
- Excellent customer service from PetFusion.
- It’s great for dogs who like to stretch out as well as those who like to rest their head on a supportive bolster.
- It is pricey, but well worth the money because of its durability and warranty.
- It is not meant for aggressive chewers.
- Some mention that the cover shrinks in the dryer. Be careful when drying, dry on cool air only or hang to dry.
2. Carhartt Durable Canvas Dog Bed
(Best Tough & Durable Cover)
The Carhartt bed offers both comfort and durability. Carhartt is a company that designs products for hard-working people, and their dog bed is designed for hard-working dogs!
This bed features a durable outer cover made from the same material used on their jackets and bibs for humans, durable 100% cotton duck canvas. The outer cover has a soft broken-in feel to it, which makes it comfortable for your dog. It is water-repellent and can easily be removed and washed.
The large soft cushion is ideal for dogs who love to curl up when they sleep or stretch out. The cushion features baffled construction which allows the polyester fiberfill to stay in place.
The entire bed is covered in the durable duck canvas, even the bottom. A single extra-wide YKK zipper makes the cover easy to remove. The zipper is concealed under the canvas fabric, making it less likely for your dog to chew.
- The outer cover is made of durable 12oz 100% cotton duck canvas.
- Water-repellent coating.
- The removable outer cover can be machine washed.
- Polyester fiberfill inner cushion with baffled construction.
- Durable YKK zipper that is hidden.
- Available in S, M, & L.
- Available in various colours.
- The thick durable fabric holds up to scratching and digging.
- The bed maintains its fluffiness, it is nice and thick and cushiony.
- The cover can easily be washed and holds up well.
- Only one zipper and it is hidden.
- It is lightweight, the bed can easily be moved.
- Carhartt material is nearly indestructible, the same material used as their jackets and bibs.
- Dogs love how comfortable it is.
- There is no inner lining, the outer cover is water-repellent. Spills and messes need to be cleaned up right away in order to avoid them seeping through to the foam.
- The canvas cover can be a bit stiff and uncomfortable for dogs.
- Dog hair easily sticks to the cover.
- This bed is not chew-proof, no bed is, but it can certainly take a beating.
3. PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed
(Best Choice For Dogs Who Love To Lay On Your Couch)
The PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed is a great choice for those dogs who love the comfort of laying on a couch. This bed is made of solid 4″ thick memory foam, offering ideal comfort.
Older dogs who suffer from arthritis will enjoy this bed. It reduces joint pain, improves health, mobility and energy.
This bed is great for dogs who love to rest their heads on a supportive pillow. The comfortable bolsters offer head and neck support, providing the ultimate lounging experience for your dog. With this bed, you can reclaim your spot on the couch.
More importantly, this bed is designed to last! It features a waterproof inner lining to protect the memory foam from any accidents, and the outer cover is water-resistant and tear-resistant. Two zipper compartments make it easy to remove the cover and toss it in the washing machine.
This bed is available in various sizes to suit any breed of dog from chihuahua to great dane. All dogs deserve to have the ultimate comfort.
A 3-Year Warranty is offered on this bed, that’s pretty amazing!
- Solid 4″ thick memory foam base.
- Waterproof inner lining.
- Water-resistant & tear-resistant outer cover.
- The removable cover is made of durable polyester 65% & cotton 35% twill fabric.
- The cover is machine washable.
- Non-skid bottom.
- Generously polyfill stuffed supportive bolsters.
- 2 Hidden YKK zipper compartments.
- 3 Year-Warranty.
- Owners of this bed love how well-made it is, and that it is worth the money.
- The cover is made of high-quality strong fabric, which stands up to dogs who like to scratch and paw at their bed. The durability of the cover in no way compromises its comfort, it is soft to the touch.
- This bed is the ultimate lounge bed for your dog. The memory foam is 4″ thick, which offers great comfort for any dog experiencing joint pain, and it is ideal for older dogs who suffer from arthritis.
- The manufacturer offers great customer service and a warranty that covers any damage to the entire bed.
- After washing, some owners of this bed have mentioned that the non-skid dots on the bottom started to come off.
- A few reviews mention problems with the zippers, that they are not high quality, and a few have broken. This seems to be a flaw in the manufacturing process, and the issues were able to be resolved with customer service.
- The outside cover is not waterproof, it is water-resistant.
4. MAXX Ultra Rugged Dog Bed by MidWest Homes For Pets
(Best Choice For Crates)
The MAXX Ultra Rugged Dog Bed is an ideal choice for using inside a crate. It is available in various sizes and colours and fits all standard crates.
The great thing about this bed is that it is durable enough to withstand scratching and digging, and the extra tough water-repellent fabric resists any liquids, stains and odours. This makes it an ideal choice for puppies as well as dogs suffering from incontinence issues.
Light spills and messes can be spot cleaned, and if needed this bed can be washed in the washing machine and tossed in the dryer.
This bed is not only durable but it provides your pup with comfort. The bolsters are poly-fibre filled to provide head and neck support, and the base is cushioned for overall comfort. The non-slip grip bottom keeps this bed in place inside the crate or on hard floors.
The MAXX Ultra-Rugged Dog Bed is a durable choice that will outlast other similar dog beds on the market, however, it is not intended for aggressive chewers. MidWest Homes For Pets offers a 1-Year Warranty on this bed.
- Water-resistant, stain-resistant & odour-resistant polyester fabric.
- Overstuffed poly-fibre-filled bolsters & cushioned base provides comfort & head support.
- Non-slip grip bottom keeps the bed in place.
- Machine washable, and dryer safe.
- No zippers.
- Fits standard crates.
- Resists wear from dog’s paws & nails.
- 1-Year Warranty.
- Great for all seasons, provides cushioned comfort and the bed stays cool to the touch. It will not cause your dog to overheat as some beds do.
- The fabric is durable & water-resistant, it holds up well to scratching.
- It is easy to clean, just toss it in the washer & dryer.
- There are no zippers to attract chewers.
- It is a strong & attractive bed that fits all standard crates.
- It is not chew-proof, however, it is more durable than similar beds. A good idea is to put a chew toy inside the crate so your dog will chew the toy instead of the bed.
- It does not provide as much cushioned support as other beds.
- The fabric tends to be noisy when the dog moves around on it.
- It shows dog hair easily.
5. The Dog’s Bed Orthopedic Dog Bed
(Best Choice For Dogs Who Like To Stretch Out)
The Dog’s Bed Orthopedic Dog Bed is made of a solid premium memory foam that provides your dog with ultimate comfort and joint support. This bed is durable and features a waterproof inner lining to protect the foam from any accidents. The outer cover is made of canvas which will hold up well to any chewing.
The outer canvas cover can easily be removed and thrown into the washing machine. The zipper is hidden to keep dogs from chewing it.
This bed is very supportive and thick, making it ideal for dogs with arthritis or joint pain, but really any dog regardless of age would enjoy this bed.
Dogs who love to stretch out when they sleep will enjoy this bed the most because it is a simple design without any bolsters.
- Solid 2″ thick high-density orthopedic memory foam over a 4″ base of high stability premium support foam.
- Waterproof inner lining.
- Removable durable canvas cover.
- The cover is machine washable & quick drying.
- Hidden zipper.
- Provides relief for joint conditions like hip & elbow dysplasia & arthritis.
- Restores mobility & vitality & provides more sound sleep.
- Replacement covers can be purchased separately.
- 1 Year Limited Warranty.
- This bed offers thick firm support, perfect for dogs of any age and it will benefit dogs who suffer from hip dysplasia, arthritis, or dogs who need to recover from surgery.
- It holds its shape & doesn’t get flat.
- Featuring a waterproof inner liner, and a cover that can easily be removed and machine washed, there is no need to worry if your dog has an accident.
- The cover is durable & holds up to scratching.
- The manufacturer offers a 1-year warranty on this bed, and the customer service is excellent.
- There are a few complaints regarding the size of this bed. Some reviews mention that the bed is narrow, and the length is shorter than the description. Make sure to measure and check the sizing, before ordering.
- This bed has piping around the perimeter, which could attract chewing.
- I wouldn’t recommend this bed for teething puppies, or aggressive chewers. It is not indestructible, and some reviews mention that the cover does hold up well to scratching, but it is not chew-proof.
6. SUDDUS Elevated Dog Bed
(Best Chew Proof Design & Material)
The SUDDUS Elevated Dog Bed is great for keeping your dog cool all year-round. Dogs with long fur tend to overheat quickly in the warmer months, and rather than laying on the hard floor, an elevated bed like this one is much better for their joints.
The cover of this bed is all one piece and is made of Textilene material which resists wear and tear. The cover is breathable, non-toxic, and waterproof. The material of this bed is designed to be chew-proof, keep in mind that no bed is indestructible, but this one will certainly put up a fight to tough chewers.
The frame of this elevated bed is made of steel pipes which are 0.88mm thick. This bed will not bend or collapse, and it even has an extra support bar in the middle of the bed, (the XL size has 2 support bars). It is available in 3 sizes, the XL bed can hold over 150LBS.
The minimalistic design of this bed is what makes it less likely to be chewed on. There are no zippers or fluffy cushioning to entice chewing.
This bed can be used both inside and outside, and due to its waterproof design, it can easily be sprayed off with a hose. The cover can be removed and washed as well.
- An elevated dog bed keeps your dog cool & off the hard floor.
- A durable one-piece cover made of Textilene resists wear & tear.
- Breathable, non-toxic & waterproof.
- Durable steel frame pipes are 0.88mm thick.
- Extra middle support bar, (XL has 2 support bars).
- XL holds over 150LBS.
- Indoor & outdoor use.
- Easy to clean, removable washable cover.
- Anti-skid rubber feet.
- 1-Year Warranty.
- The one-piece fabric cover of this bed is durable and more chew-proof than a traditional dog bed.
- It is lightweight, but sturdy and the bed will not sag because it has extra support in the middle of the bed.
- A great choice for dogs who tend to overheat in the summer, it allows air to circulate all around your dog.
- Great for dogs with joint issues, it keeps them off the hard floor.
- Owners of this bed love how sturdy it is and that it is well-made.
- Many owners mention that the assembly instructions are difficult to follow.
- The connector pieces are not made of metal.
7. K&H Pet Products Original Elevated Pet Cot
(Best Choice For Keeping Your Dog Cool)
This elevated dog bed by K&H is an excellent choice for those dogs who tend to overheat in warmer temperatures. Due to the elevated style of this bed, the air is able to circulate around your dog’s entire body, keeping your dog comfortable and cool.
The minimal design of this bed makes it less enticing to chew on than beds that have a lot of fluff. It isn’t completely chew-proof, but it is extremely sturdy and features a heavy denier cover that is durable and will certainly put up a fight to heavy chewers.
The frame of this bed is made of strong and sturdy metal, and it can hold up to 200 LBS. Large dogs will be supported, or 2 dogs can share this bed.
You can use this bed indoors or outdoors. The cover can easily be removed and thrown in the washing machine, or the entire bed can be sprayed off with a hose. It is a great option if you are camping or travelling, or if your dog just needs a spot to lounge while being outside.
No tools are required for assembly.
- An elevated dog bed that allows air circulation all around.
- Strong & sturdy lightweight frame.
- 9″ ground clearance.
- The cover is made of tough, waterproof heavy denier nylon.
- The cover is double-stitched & double-backed for added strength.
- The mesh centre is breathable & provides airflow, it repels moisture, mould, mildew & odours.
- Holds up to 200 LBS.
- The frame is made of metal tubing & the corners are durable PVC.
- Non-skid rubber feet.
- No tool assembly.
- Indoor or outdoor use.
- Easy to clean, the cover is machine washable, or hose it off.
- 1 Year Warranty.
- The assembly is so easy on this bed, no tools are required. It is lightweight, making it easy to transport.
- Allows air circulation all around, great for furry dogs who tend to overheat in warm temperatures.
- Keeps your dog off the floor, which helps ease joints.
- This bed is easy to clean, the cover can be removed and washed, or you can take it outside and hose it off.
- It is durable and less-enticing to chew than other beds. The cover is double-stitched and will hold up extremely well.
- Excellent customer service from K&H Pet Products.
- This bed is not chew-proof, but will certainly be less enticing to chew than other beds.
- Some dogs don’t like elevated dog beds and may take time to get used to the style.
- The frame will rust if it is left outside in the rain.
Why Do Dogs Chew Their Beds?
If you have a puppy then you know the answer to this question. Puppies that are teething will chew on anything and everything if given the chance. For teething puppies, you will want to give them appropriate toys to chew on, instead of your furniture or their bed.
Chewing is a natural behaviour for all dogs, and there are many reasons why dogs chew. Some dogs simply enjoy chewing, it is a way for them to relieve stress and anxiety.
There are some breeds that will chew more than others, such as Labs, Golden Retrievers, Pit Bulls, and German Shepherds to name a few.
Constant chewing and destructive chewing is something to be concerned about and can be caused by stress, anxiety, illness, pain, hunger, or boredom. Most often it is a sign of boredom, and that the dog is not given enough exercise and mental stimulation.
What To Look For In A Chew Proof Dog Bed?
When shopping for a chew proof dog bed, you will want to look for the following:
- Strong Durable Material: The bed should be made of a strong fabric able to withstand scratching, biting, and chewing. Fabric to look for includes canvas, nylon, rip-stop ballistic, or anything classed as military-grade.
- Memory Foam: A memory foam mattress is a good choice as it offers your dog comfortable support, and it is thick and durable.
- Reinforced Seams: Any seams on the bed should be double or triple stitched.
- Hidden, or No Zippers or Velcro: Any closures on the bed such as zippers, Velcro, tabs, or other loose ends should be hidden, or preferably none at all to prevent any chewing.
- Increased Weight Limit: A bed that is strong and durable with an increased weight limit, will give large dogs plenty of room to lay on, and will be tough enough to last.
- Double Layers: Most beds will have an inner layer that protects the bed itself, and a durable cover. If your dog happens to chew through the outer layer, the inner layer will protect the bed.
- Waterproof: This is important if you have a puppy or an older dog prone to accidents. You will want to protect the bed itself from getting soiled and damaged.
- Warranty: Buying a bed that comes with a warranty is always a good idea, you want to protect your investment.
Final Thoughts On Chew Proof Dog Beds
Buying a bed for your dog can certainly be a challenge, and I hope that the above list of chew-proof dog beds has helped to make that decision a little easier.
It is important to consider not only your dog’s chewing style but also your dog’s sleeping style. You want the bed to last a really long time, but most importantly you want your dog to be comfortable.
Has your dog tried any of the beds mentioned above? Do you have another bed that you recommend? Share your thoughts below, I would love to hear from you.
Latest posts by Jenny (see all)
- 8 Amazing Canine Water Toys Your Dog Will Love - July 6, 2021
- Best Dog Pool For Large Dogs [6 Best Reviewed] - June 22, 2021
- Golden Retriever vs Goldendoodle – Pros and Cons of Each - June 11, 2021