Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
When you become a dog owner you really start to love and create a special bond with your dog. Your dog quickly becomes part of your family, and you want the absolute best for your dog, and you will do anything and everything possible to ensure your dog is happy and healthy. That’s where the FitBark dog activity monitor comes in, this tiny bone shaped device will monitor the most essential piece of your dogs health – their activity.
Your dog cannot tell you when they are not feeling well, or when they are tired from not getting enough sleep, or if they are getting enough exercise in a day. The FitBark tracks your dogs overall health index and allows you to catch any early signs that your dog is in pain or sick. You can even share this information with your Vet.
In this article I will review FitBark, and will provide an overview of what FitBark is, and why it would be beneficial to your dog and yourself.
FitBark is available online at fitbark.com, for $69.95 (US current price).
What Is FitBark?
FitBark is basically the dog version of the Fitbit for humans. It is an activity and sleep monitor for your dog. This device will be able to track your dogs physical and rest levels 24/7, which will provide you with answers to questions like “Is my dog getting enough exercise?”, “Is my dog anxious when I am away?”, “how many calories has my dog burned?”, and answers to many more questions.
FitBark is a great way of letting you know if your dog is getting enough exercise while you are away. For example, if you hired a dog walker to walk your dog, you can see if your dog is actually being walked, and the dog walker is doing what you are paying them for – walking your dog!
FitBark is a great way to improve not only your dogs health but your own health too. If you own a Fitbit, or another human fitness tracking device, you can link it to the FitBark mobile app, and start tracking your activity level next to your dogs.
Overview Of FitBark
- tiny bone shaped device, that attaches to your dogs collar
- fits dogs of any breed, size and weight
- monitors your dogs activity and sleep levels 24/7
- gives you insight into your dogs health and behavior
- allows you to share useful information about any changes in behavior and health issues with your vet, such as mobility, anxiety, skin conditions, and other health issues
- motivates you and your dog to be healthy and active together
- tracks minute by minute activity, calories burned, distance traveled, sleep quality, and overall health and behavior
- Waterproof – can be submerged underwater up to 1 meter, for up to 30 minutes
- Compatible with IOS and Android
- Sync range is 30 feet (9 meters), sync requires an internet connection, and compatible IOS or Android device, or FitBark Wi-Fi Base Station
FitBark vs. FitBark2 What Is The Difference?
FitBark was first launched in 2015, and has become the most popular and highest rated dog activity and sleep monitor on the market.
FitBark2 was launched in 2017, and has some impressive improvements compared to FitBark. Let’s look at the differences below.
- Launched in 2015
- Battery Life: lasts 14 days on a single charge.
- Memory: stores 28 days of minute by minute data.
- Fit on collars: The FitBark will work on any collar that is not wider than 30mm. (1.18 inches).
- How it connects to your dogs collar: uses elastic bands to attach to the collar.
- Material and Design: Dimensions are 1.6 x1.1 x 0.4 inches (41 x 28 x 11mm), Weight is 0.28 ounces (8 grams), and made from ABS plastic, which is sturdy but a cheaper form of plastic.
- Colors: 7 available to choose from.
- Launched in 2017
- Battery Life: lasts up to 6 months on a single charge.
- Memory: has the capacity to store 100 days of minute by minute data.
- Fit on collars: supports collars up to 38mm. (1.5 inches).
- How it connects to your dogs collar: uses 2 zip ties to attach to the collar.
- Material and Design: Dimensions are 1.6 x 1.1 x 0.5 inches (41 x 28 x 13.5mm), Weight is 0.35 ounces (10 grams), and made from high impact Polycarbonate.
- Colors: only available in Black, but there are 12 interchangeable colored covers to choose from (sold separately).
When looking at the main differences between the FitBark and FitBark2, it is safe to say that the newest model the FitBark2 is superior to the FitBark. FitBark2 is stronger and more durable, and not having to worry about charging the battery for 6 months is very impressive. The choices of 12 colored covers to choose from, you can give your dog a signature look.
What Comes With The FitBark2 In The Box
- Black Cover
- 8 Zip Ties
- Charging Cable
- Quick Start Guide
FitBark offers a 30-day money back guarantee, free US and Worldwide shipping on anything over $15.00, and a 1-year limited warranty.
When you first get your FitBark, you will need to charge it for 90 minutes, and make sure you have Bluetooth on, on your IOS or Android device, then download the FitBark Mobile App and follow the instructions on screen to set up a user profile and dog profile.
FitBark Can Provide You With Answers
The FitBark activity and sleep monitor can provide you with many helpful insights into your dogs health. Let’s look at some common questions, and how FitBark can answer them.
How Can FitBark Help My Dog Lose Weight?
When you set-up your FitBark, you are asked what lifestyle you want for your dog, based on 3 percentiles, Typical, Active, or Olympian. The FitBark will offer real time comparison between dogs of similar age, weight and breed across the world. Your dogs activity is measured in BarkPoints, a higher level of BarkPoints means your dog is more active.
You can also measure how many calories your dog has burned. When your dog moves he/she will collect BarkPoints, and more calories will be burned. You can use this to estimate how much food to feed. An active dog requires more caloric intake than a less active dog.
How Can FitBark Help Monitor My Dogs Separation Anxiety?
If you have a dog that suffers from separation anxiety, you know firsthand how stressful it is to leave your dog at home when you go to work. Your dog doesn’t understand where you are going, or when you are coming back, and you have no idea what to expect when you get home. Your dog may have destroyed or chewed the furniture, or peed in the house, and when you get home you have to check every room in the house.
With FitBark, you will be able to check the mobile app and track your dogs activity level. You will be able to see if your dog has settled down after you left (less BarkPoints), or if he is active, the higher the BarkPoints, the more anxious your dog is. You can compare your dogs daily activity levels, average BarkPoints from a day spent with you, to that of a day spent without you.
Is The Dog Walker I Hired Walking My Dog?
You hired a dog walker for your dog, and are wondering if your dog is getting enough exercise, and you want to be sure that you are paying your dog walker for doing there job. With FitBark you will be able to track how much exercise your dog is getting. Just open the FitBark mobile app, sync via Bluetooth when your dog gets home and you can find out in seconds.
The Pros And Cons Of FitBark2
- Affordable at $69.95, comes with 1 Year Warranty, and 30-day money back guarantee
- Tracks your dogs activity and sleep 24/7
- Durable and lightweight
- 6 Month Battery Life
- Easy to set up, pair and sync to your smartphone
- Compare your activity with Apple and Fitbit devices
- Fits all dogs
- Works worldwide
- Gives consistent, accurate and dependable data, that you can share with your friends and Veterenarian
- No monthly fees for use
- Dedicated customer support, available 24/7 from the mobile app or your computer
Owners love how the FitBark keeps their dog happy and healthy, and it benefits them too. They are getting more active, and it motivates them to take longer walks or have more playtime with their dog. The setup is so easy, and the mobile app is user-friendly.
- You need to use a collar that is less than 1.5 inches wide
- Does not have any GPS tracking abilities
- Have to use new zip ties every time you want to attach it to a different collar (comes with 8 zip ties)
- Common complaint is that the colored covers tend to fall off. This is usually a result of the covers not being attached properly.
- Common complaint is that it is not waterproof like it says it is. This is because you need to make sure that the charging pins are kept dry. After the FitBark has become wet, you should remove the cover and let the pins dry fully before putting the cover back on.
- Does not track your dogs heart rate. Not yet anyway, FitBark could be working on this in the future.
- Does not work on a harness. Using it on a harness will reduce the activity and sleep tracking accuracy.
If you are looking for a way to improve your dogs health and happiness, or to see how your dog measures up to other dogs of the same age, weight and breed then the FitBark is an excellent choice for you.
FitBark would be beneficial to you if you worry about your dog being anxious when you are away, or if you are trying to help your dog lose weight. It gives you peace of mind knowing that your dog walker is actually walking your dog.
I highly recommend the FitBark, it is an affordable way to track the most essential piece of your dogs health. It is also a great way for you to get more active and healthier too.
Try FitBark You Will Love It
Get yours at fitbark.com, 30-day money back guarantee, free worldwide shipping (over $15.00), and a 1-Year Warranty.
What About You?
Have you tried FitBark yet? Leave me a comment below, I would love to hear from you.