Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
With all this rain that we have been getting lately, I have been inspired to write about raincoats for Golden Retrievers. Golden Retrievers generally love the water and they don’t usually need to wear a coat when it gets cold out because they already have a double-coat for insulation, but when you come home from walking your Golden in the rain, a raincoat would certainly help keep the dirt out of your house.
My Golden, Ellie loves the water, but when it rains out she doesn’t really want to go outside. We walk anyway and I always keep a towel by the door when we get home and dry her off the best I can, but the dirt and mud that gathers underneath her on her belly just seems to stick like Velcro and gets all over my floors and the couch after she is dry.
That is why I thought about raincoats, and how a raincoat would help to keep her dry and clean and would prevent all that dirt and mud in my house.
Of course, the best raincoats would have to be comfortable, easy to put on and provide a great amount of coverage especially underneath on the belly area, or else what is the point of your dog wearing one?
So, I have come up with my top 7 picks. Let’s get to the list.
Raincoats For Golden Retrievers, My Top 7 Picks
1. Weatherbeeta Rainstop Deluxe Dog Coat [Best All-Around]
This raincoat by Weatherbeeta has a sleek design and it is lightweight. There are no sleeves and no hood which is great for dogs who don’t like either (most dogs).
It is easy to put on, you simply slide it over your dog’s head and pull the velcro strap under your dog’s belly and secure it on the side.
It provides ample coverage for your dog’s belly which is great for less mess, and it is also non-restrictive for when your dog needs to use the bathroom.
The high collar will protect your dog’s neck from the rain as well as the wind and can be folded down as well.
This coat is durable and well-made. It truly is a raincoat, perfect for those wet rainy days of Spring, Summer and Fall, and even Winter. I only include Winter because Golden Retrievers do not need extra insulation to keep them warm.
This coat features a waterproof, breathable, and strong 1200D diamond weave outer, and a strong 210D polyester lining. A great coat that is durable enough to last through all that rolling around on the ground and running through the bush that your dog may do.
- Belly wrap raincoat and windbreaker.
- Easy to put on-overhead design.
- Lightweight with no polyfill.
- 1200D diamond weave outer.
- 210D polyester lining.
- Waterproof and breathable.
- Large collar for wind and rain protection can fold down.
- Leash opening on the collar.
- Reflective strips.
- Machine washable.
- A heavy-duty raincoat that keeps your dog dry.
- It offers great coverage on your dog’s belly to prevent the dirt and mud from sticking to your dog underneath.
- Well-made and quality construction.
- It offers protection from the wind.
- Sleek design and it is non-restrictive.
- It provides a snug fit, with rear elastic leg bands to keep the coat in place.
- There is no hole opening for a harness, only for a leash attached to a collar. You could put a harness over the coat, however.
- A common complaint is that the sizing is off. This coat seems to fit big. Be sure to measure properly and use the sizing chart as a guide.
2. Ruffwear Sun Shower Lightweight Rain Jacket [Best Summer Raincoat]
This raincoat by Ruffwear is a lightweight vest-style jacket that is ideal for warm rainy days. It offers great protection from the rain, keeping your dog dry and comfortable during those messy and wet walks.
This rain jacket is made from PVC-free waterproof fabric and features a fold-up storm collar for extra protection from the wind and rain. It is non-insulated, making it an ideal jacket for Golden Retrievers who don’t need an added layer of warmth, and it’s perfect for warmer conditions.
The vest design offers ample coverage and provides a roomier fit for those hard to fit dogs. It is easy to put on, it goes over your dog’s head and features adjustable side buckles that are covered in fabric so there is no rubbing or chafing on your dog’s skin.
There is an integrated leash portal that allows this coat to be worn over most harnesses. The reflective trim is an added feature for increased visibility to your dog while walking at night or during low-light conditions. For added safety, there is an integrated light loop for attaching the Ruffwear Beacon Light (sold separately).
This jacket is available in 6 sizes, and the Large or XL would fit most Golden Retrievers, but you should measure your dog properly to ensure the right fit.
- Lightweight and non-insulated.
- Vest style.
- Made from PVC-free waterproof fabric.
- Overhead design with adjustable side buckles.
- Reflective trim.
- Integrated leash portal.
- Integrated light loop for Beacon Light (sold separately).
- Machine washable (gentle cycle).
- Available in 6 colours.
- Available in 6 sizes.
- Owners love how easy this coat is to put on, and that it is non-restrictive. Dogs can move around freely in this coat without feeling like they are wearing a coat.
- It is a lightweight coat that keeps your dog dry and comfortable.
- It repels water effortlessly.
- There is no Velcro which some dogs and owners hate. It features snap buckles on the sides that are adjustable and covered in fabric.
- It is made of durable material and is well-constructed.
- Great colours to choose from.
- During windy conditions, this coat will flip up on the back end because there are no leg straps to keep it secure.
- There is no hole opening to attach a leash to a harness. You would need to put the harness over the coat or use a collar and leash.
- Some owners wish this coat featured a hood to keep their dog’s head and ears dry. This coat is ideal for dogs who don’t like hoods.
3. Vizpet Dog Raincoat [Best For Rain or Snow]
The Vizpet Dog Raincoat is another vest style coat that is easy to put on and provides great coverage on your dog’s belly, chest and back.
This raincoat looks great and will keep your Golden nice and dry during those rainy walks. It features a high neck collar to protect your dog from wind and rain, but it can also be folded down if your dog doesn’t like it.
This coat seems to have it all. It is lightweight, breathable, and comfortable for your dog to wear. The outer material is made from nylon with a waterproof coating and there is a soft inner fleece lining for added warmth. This coat would work well for both rain and wet snow.
Two reflective stripes on the back of this coat make your dog visible during those night time walks. There is a leash slot on the back of the coat for you to attach a leash. It works with a harness too, if you have a front clip harness the harness can go underneath the coat and the leash attaches at the front. For a back clip harness, it would be best to put the harness over the coat.
This coat goes on with ease. It has two adjustable Velcro straps around the neck and chest, and can fully open which means there is no need to put your dog’s head or legs through anything.
- Vest style raincoat.
- Lightweight, breathable and comfortable.
- Nylon waterproof outer shell, and inner fleece lining.
- Leash slot.
- Adjustable Velcro makes it easy to put on.
- Machine Washable.
- Available in 2 colours.
- Available in various sizes.
- 100% Satisfaction with 60 Day Guarantee.
- It offers great coverage on the back and belly, which means you spend less time drying your dog off.
- So easy to put on without the need to put your dog’s head or legs through any openings.
- It is lightweight but has a soft fleece lining which works well for colder temperatures.
- Dogs can move around comfortably and freely in this coat because it is non-restricting.
- This coat holds up well after being machine washed and the Velcro straps hold up well too.
- Owners love the sporty look of this raincoat and the bright colours.
- This coat stays put and doesn’t flip up in the wind.
- Many owners of this coat mention that it runs small. It is best to measure your dog properly and order a size up, especially with a thick-haired Golden Retriever.
- The slot opening on the back of the neck is not meant for a harness. You would need to wear a harness over the coat, or a front-clip harness would work underneath.
4. Kurgo Heavy Duty Raincoat [Best For Active Dogs]
The “heavy-duty” in the name says it all. This jacket is designed for those Golden’s who love to run through the bush and roll around on rugged terrain.
I know that walking in the rain doesn’t stop some dogs from running and chasing after squirrels or rabbits or whatever else, this raincoat is up for the adventure.
It is made of 100% polyester ripstop fabric with a waterproof polyurethane coating. It is a vest style coat that features a high neck collar to protect your dog from the rain and wind, or it can be folded down if preferred.
Your dog will be dry and comfortable wearing this, it has an athletic fit meaning your dog can move around freely in this without being restricted.
There are 2 quick-release side buckles for easy on and off. The fabric loops ensure that the buckles stay in place and don’t slide around. This coat is adjustable to provide a snug fit.
It is easy to put on, you simply slide it over your dog’s head and secure the side buckles.
This coat would work well with your dog’s favourite harness. The opening for a leash attachment is further along the back which is ideal for back clip harnesses, and it is of generous size and secured with Velcro.
This coat features a padded breathable mesh for added comfort, and the reflective piping along the sides and collar allow your dog to be visible at night.
Kurgo offers a Lifetime Warranty on this coat.
- Made of durable ripstop fabric.
- Waterproof polyurethane coating.
- Adjustable side buckles.
- Vest style, athletic fit for freedom of movement.
- Fold-down high neck collar.
- Breathable mesh.
- Reflective piping.
- Harness access.
- Lifetime Warranty.
- This coat is very well made and is of quality material, it is great for very active dogs who love to run through the bush.
- It is 100% waterproof and will keep your dog dry.
- This coat is easy to put on and has side buckles that can be adjusted, there are no Velcro closures except for the leash hole opening.
- This is one of the best coats that will work with any harness.
- It doesn’t provide enough coverage on your dog’s belly, which is important for Golden Retrievers and their owners.
- It is only available in one colour Chili Red.
- A few owners wish that this coat was longer on the back to provide more coverage.
- There are no rear leg loops to help keep the coat in place.
- It is a bit stiff, and one owner mentioned because of the stiffness it doesn’t lay flat on the back.
5. Ellie Rainy Day Dog Raincoat [Best Stylish Coat]
This is one of the most stylish raincoats included in this list, and it looks like an actual raincoat. It features a hood to protect your dog’s head and ears from the rain or wet snow. The hood is removable so if your dog doesn’t tolerate it, you can simply unbutton it.
This coat is double-layered for extra protection from the elements. It features a premium outer shell that is completely waterproof and a warm inner lining for insulation.
This coat has adjustable drawstrings around the hood to keep it snug and in place, and a drawstring on the back to keep the coat secure and snug from any wind or rain.
If your dog can tolerate the sleeves on this coat, then there will be even less water and dirt to wipe off your dog after a rainy walk. It is a zippered coat with button closures, and yes there are sleeves that your dog will have to put his legs through, but the coverage is great.
The back of the coat features two button pockets for added style and for possibly storing dog treats or doggie bags. There is a small opening on the back for harness access.
It is important to note that this coat fits snug. For larger dogs like Golden Retrievers, you should add up to 2 inches for chest measurements to prevent this coat from being too tight.
- Double-layered waterproof raincoat.
- Removable hood with adjustable drawstrings.
- Zipper along the chest/belly with buttons.
- Sleeves for the front legs.
- 2 functional buttoned pockets.
- Harness access.
- Machine washable.
- Owners love how stylish this coat is, it looks like a child’s raincoat.
- The coverage on this coat is great, and it really protects your dog’s chest and belly from getting wet.
- You have the option to use the hood for added protection or you can remove it.
- The sleeves are an added layer of protection.
- This coat is very well-made and seems durable.
- It holds up well to machine washing.
- The adjustable drawstring on the back helps keep the coat snug and from flipping up in the wind.
- There is no Velcro.
- It has sleeves which makes it a bit harder to put on some dogs.
- The zipper might get caught in long fur, and could be trickier to put on.
- The sleeves make this coat a bit restrictive.
- This coat is not the easiest one to put on with the zipper underneath and the buttons to do up, you need a lot of patience.
- Some owners mentioned that this coat is not waterproof, and that water goes through the first layer of the coat, during heavy rain.
6. HDE Dog Raincoat Hooded Slicker. [Best For Light Rain]
The fun print on this raincoat will have your pup looking sweet in the nastiest of weather. It is a lightweight hooded raincoat made of 100% polyester with a waterproof coating.
It features a reflective stripe on the hood as well as on the back and belly for high visibility. This coat is easy to put on and fully opens so there is no need for your dog to put his head through any openings. There are 2 adjustable Velcro straps, one around the neck and one around the belly to ensure a snug fit.
The hood will protect your dog’s head and ears from the wind and rain but can be folded down if preferred. There is a leash hole opening on the back to attach a leash to a collar. It would work well for a front clip harness, but for a back clip harness, you would have to put it on over the coat.
- 100% polyester with waterproof coating.
- Lightweight poncho-style raincoat.
- Easy to put on with 2 Velcro closures around the neck and belly.
- Easy to pack, can be folded for storage.
- The hood can be folded down.
- Available in various colours and fun prints.
- XL would be ideal for Golden Retrievers.
- One of the easiest coats to put on because it fully opens up. Your dog doesn’t have to put his head or legs through any openings.
- The fun prints will make your dog look adorable.
- The Velcro straps are durable and wide and you can easily adjust them to get a snug fit.
- This coat is non-restrictive for dogs going to the bathroom.
- It is lightweight which makes it ideal for warmer temperatures.
- It can be folded and packed up for easy travel or storage.
- Some owners mention that the hood is too big and covers their dog’s eyes.
- The hood doesn’t stay in place when putting it on your dog’s head.
- It doesn’t provide enough belly/chest coverage like other coats do.
- The back part of the coat flips up in the wind.
- It is lightweight and doesn’t work in heavy rain.
- The material is thin.
7. Hurtta Drizzle Coat [Best Cold Weather Raincoat]
This raincoat by Hurtta is a great choice even for colder temperatures. I decided to include a cold-weather raincoat on this list for Golden Retrievers because if you own a puppy, senior or a Golden who is recovering from medical issues, it is a good idea to keep them warm and dry.
This coat is stunning, I love the Currant colour for a female Golden Retriever, it also comes in black.
It is very lightweight, and breathable and it is 100% waterproof. Made from Houndtex laminated shell fabric, this coat protects your dog from wind, rain, wet snow and mud.
This coat features a warming foil lining that reflects your dog’s own body heat to keep him warm in cooler temperatures. If you are familiar with Columbia’s Omni Heat for humans, it is similar to that.
The Drizzle Coat is fully adjustable at the collar, waist and back length. The collar features an adjustable rain trap on the inside to keep the rain out.
The large reflective print on the back sides of the coat along with 3M reflective piping makes your dog highly visible during low-light conditions.
There is an opening for harness access on the back of the coat. This coat stays in place during heavy winds due to the rear leg loops. The wide belly flap offers ample coverage from wet and muddy conditions.
The back length is the most important measurement for this coat.
- 100% waterproof design with a rain trap inside the collar.
- Lightweight and breathable Houndtex laminates shell fabric.
- Aluminum foil print lining reflects body heat.
- Adjustable collar, waist, and back length.
- Harness opening.
- Rear leg loops keep the coat in place.
- No Velcro, it has a quick-release buckle.
- Overhead design.
- This coat is well-designed and high-quality.
- It stays in place and provides excellent coverage for your dog’s back, chest and belly.
- Stylish design, and reflective for high visibility.
- It is soft and comfortable for your dog to wear but it is very durable.
- There are no sleeves or hood, it provides freedom of movement.
- The leg loops prevent this coat from flipping up in the wind.
- It is pricey, but owners of this coat say it is well worth it.
- The rear leg loops can be uncomfortable for some dogs.
- Not intended for summer weather because it reflects body heat.
Does Your Golden Retriever Really Need A Raincoat?
Only you can be the judge of that because you know your dog best. But, I can say that my dog Ellie is a bit of a Diva and doesn’t like the rain coming down on her. She will not go outside to pee in the rain, but doesn’t mind walking in it??? Confusing right?!!
I don’t think that a Golden Retriever absolutely needs a raincoat, but they would appreciate being able to stay dry and warm in one. Again, every dog is different, and a raincoat certainly cuts down on the time you have to spend drying your dog.
You also don’t want to risk exposing your dog to being wet for an extended amount of time as it could bring on pneumonia, especially in older dogs or puppies.
A raincoat is a great choice for you as well as your dog because:
- It keeps your dog warm and dry.
- It cuts down on the drying time and keeps wetness and mud out of your house.
- Some Golden Retrievers will not go outside in the rain, and wearing a raincoat will allow them to be outside.
- No one likes a wet dog, not to mention that wet dog smell.
- Senior dogs, puppies, and dogs recovering from illness need to be kept warm and dry to prevent any further illnesses.
- Rainy days are dark and dreary and raincoats that feature reflective material will make your dog more visible.
- Your dog will look stylish and adorable and don’t be surprised if your dog struts his stuff while wearing one.
If your Golden needs a warmer coat for the winter, be sure to check out my list of the best cold-weather dog coats.
Important Things To Consider When Buying A Raincoat For A Golden Retriever
Hood And Sleeves
Will your dog actually like a hood or sleeves? Most dogs do not. A hood does offer more protection from the wind and rain, so it is a good idea to look for a coat that has a removable hood so you can use it or not if your dog hates it.
If the raincoat is not comfortable for your dog to wear, he’s not going to wear it and will probably put up a fight to try to take it off. A vest-style raincoat is a great choice for most dogs because it is non-restrictive and allows them to move around freely.
Easy To Put On And Take Off
The easiest coats to put on are ones that open up completely and don’t make your dog have to put his head or legs through any openings. Again, this is up to each individual dog as well as yourself. If you have a very cooperative dog, and you have a lot of patience then any coat should work.
If you have a very active dog and you do a lot of trail walking then you need a coat that will stand up to rugged terrain. You also want a coat to be durable enough to last a long time.
Will the raincoat be 100% waterproof and made to keep your dog dry during heavy rain, or is it only meant for light rain?
The best raincoats will be completely waterproof, and ideal for heavy rain. After all, it is a raincoat!
Adjustability And Snug Fit
The best coats will provide several adjustment points, such as around the waist, neck and even the back. Rear leg loops are a good choice so that the coat stays in place during windy conditions.
Harness And Leash Access
If your dog wears a harness it will be important to you to have a hole on the back for easy access to attach a leash.
If you use a front clip harness or a collar and leash, this is not as important to you.
Rainy conditions often mean it is harder for motorists to see you and your dog. You will want to look for a raincoat that is reflective. For added safety, you could add an LED collar to your dog.
The Raincoat I Recommend
Out of the 7 raincoats for Golden Retrievers that I have reviewed, my top choice is the Weatherbeeta Rainstop Deluxe. It provides great coverage, is easy to put on, and will keep your dog dry in heavy rain. More importantly, this coat is comfortable for your dog to wear without a hood or sleeves to restrict your dog’s movement.
Don’t forget about your dog’s paws! For added protection from the rain and mud, you could pair your dog’s favourite raincoat with Pawz Dog Boots! You’ll save even more time on the cleanup!
What About You?
Does your Golden Retriever like walking in the rain? Have you tried a raincoat for your dog? Which raincoat is your favourite?
Please share your thoughts and comments below. If you have any questions please ask. I would love to hear from you.