Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link & purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
[UPDATED August 2021]
Welcome to my review of the FitBark 2 Dog Activity Monitor. FitBark 2 is a tiny bone-shaped device that tracks your dog’s health and activity. In a nutshell, it’s like a Fitbit but for dogs!
FitBark 2 gives you insight into your dog’s mood, fitness and overall health. It can even identify health concerns before any visible symptoms appear in your dog. Sounds pretty good right?
FitBark 2 is a very valuable device to have! Find out in this in-depth review how the FitBark 2 works, what it does, and why it is essential for your dog’s health.
What Does The FitBark 2 Dog Activity Monitor Do?
Here is an overview and list of features of the FitBark 2:
- Monitor Your Dog’s Sleep & Activity 24/7: Your dog’s sleep quality and daily activity will be tracked every minute. Find out how far your dog has walked/travelled, how many calories were burned, as well as overall health and behaviour.
- Set Fitness Goals: The FitBark App allows you to set fitness goals for your dog based on breed, age, and weight. You can compare your dog’s health and fitness levels to dogs of the same age, weight or breed.
- Monitor Mobility & Pain: Invite your dog trainer or vet to monitor any changes in mobility, osteoarthritis, or orthopedic rehabilitation. Catch early signs of pain, discomfort, or disease by following the FitBark Health Index.
- Monitor Stress & Anxiety: When you’re away from your dog, you’ll be able to keep an eye on his stress or anxiety levels to see how he is doing when you are not with him. FitBark 2 is great for monitoring your dog’s separation anxiety, to see if it has worsened or improved while you are gone. By glancing at the Hourly View in the FitBark App, you’ll be able to compare the Bark points that your dog has accumulated while you are gone vs the points accumulated while you are at home.
- Monitor Itchiness & Skin Disease: Many dogs suffer from skin allergies, causing them to lick, scratch, and bite at their paws or skin. Most dogs scratch and lick at night while they are trying to rest. This is where FitBark 2 will help you monitor your dog’s skin allergies. If your dog is being treated for a skin disease or if you have changed his diet, the FitBark nightly Sleep Score will help you track your dog’s progress to see if the condition has improved or worsened.
- Link To Your Human Fitness Tracker: Get healthy with your dog! Link your Fitbit, Apple Watch, HealthKit, or Google Fit device and track your activity levels together. You can set goals for yourself and your dog and motivate each other.
- FitBark Clock Face: The FitBark Clock Face is available for Fitbit Sense, Versa 3, Versa 2, Versa and Ionic. You can glance at your wrist to track your activity levels along with your pup’s.
This short video gives a brief overview of what the FitBark 2 does.
FitBark 2 Can Provide You With Answers
The FitBark 2 dog activity monitor can provide you with many helpful insights into your dog’s health. Let’s look at some common questions, and how FitBark can answer them.
How Can FitBark Help My Dog Lose Weight?
When you set up your FitBark, you are asked what lifestyle you want for your dog, based on 3 percentiles, Typical, Active, or Olympian.
The FitBark will offer a real-time comparison between dogs of similar age, weight and breed across the world. Your dog’s activity is measured in BarkPoints, a higher level of BarkPoints means your dog is more active.
You can also measure how many calories your dog has burned. When your dog moves he/she will collect BarkPoints, and more calories will be burned. You can use this to estimate how much food to feed. An active dog requires more caloric intake than a less active dog.
How Can FitBark Help Monitor My Dog’s Separation Anxiety?
With FitBark, you will be able to check the mobile app and track your dog’s activity level measured in BarkPoints.
You will be able to see if your dog has settled down after you are gone (fewer BarkPoints), or if he is active. The higher the BarkPoints, the more anxious your dog is.
You can compare your dog’s daily activity levels by looking at the average BarkPoints from a day spent with you, to that of a day spent without you.
Is The Dog Walker I Hired Walking My Dog?
Hiring a dog walker for your dog is a great idea while you are at work. But, how can you be sure your dog is actually being walked?
With FitBark you will be able to track how much exercise your dog is getting. Basically, you’ll be able to make sure the dog walker is getting paid to do the job.
Just open the FitBark mobile app, sync via Bluetooth when your dog gets home and you can find out in seconds.
FitBark 2 Design
Shaped like a tiny bone that fits dogs of all sizes and breeds. FitBark 2 measures 1.6 x 1.1 x 0.5 inches (41 x 28 x 13.5mm). Dogs that are 3 pounds, as well as 200 pounds or more, are able to wear the FitBark 2.
Made of a high-impact polycarbonate. It is super durable and rugged, however, it is not 100% bite-proof so you should not let your dog chew on it.
Weighing only 0.35 ounces (10 grams), it is lightweight and does not stick out past your dog’s collar. Speaking of collars, it will fit any collar that is not wider than 1.5″ (38mm).
It can be submerged in water up to 1 meter, for up to 30 minutes.
FitBark 2 uses a Lithium-ion polymer battery that lasts up to 6 months on a single charge. There is no need to remove the unit from your dog’s collar to recharge it either. This allows you to worry less about recharging and more about keeping your dog healthy and happy.
Has the capacity to store 100 days of minute-by-minute data.
FitBark 2 is compatible with Android and iOS devices and uses Bluetooth 4.0 to connect. The sync range is 30 feet (9 meters) and requires an internet connection. It also works with the FitBark Wi-Fi Base Station (sold separately) should you not have a compatible Android or iOS device.
FitBark 2 works anywhere in the world! It does not rely on cell signals, so you can take it with you wherever you and your pup go. It does require an internet connection for the synchronization process.
How To Set Up The FitBark 2 Dog Activity Monitor
FitBark 2 is easy to set up, just follow these steps:
- Charge your new device for 90 minutes using the cable provided.
- Make sure Bluetooth is on your iOS or Android device.
- Simply download the FitBark Mobile App from the Apple Store (iOS) or Google Play (Android).
- Follow the instructions on the screen to set up a user profile and dog profile.
What Is Included In The Box?
- 1 x FitBark 2 Dog Activity Monitor.
- 1 x Black Cover: You can customize your dog’s FitBark 2 by purchasing a different coloured cover. Covers are available in a variety of colours to suit your dog’s personality.
- 8 Zip Ties: 2 zip ties are required to attach it to your dog’s collar. Every time you remove it, you need 2 new zip ties to reattach it.
- Charging Cable.
- Quick Start Guide.
How Much Does The FitBark 2 Cost?
FitBark 2 is priced at $69.95 US Dollars.
If you purchase from fitbark.com you will get:
- Free US and Worldwide Shipping on anything over 15 dollars.
- 30 day money-back guarantee.
- 1 Year limited warranty.
- Live Chat help and support 24/7.
FitBark 2 Pros and Cons
- It is very affordable and comes with a 30 day money back guarantee and 1 year warranty.
- Battery lasts up to 6 months, and you don’t need to remove the unit from your dog’s collar.
- It is small and lightweight.
- Works anywhere in the world, on land or in water, it is waterproof.
- Fits all dogs.
- Super easy to set up, pair and sync with your smartphone.
- Gives consistent, accurate and dependable data, that you can share with your friends or vet.
- No monthly fees to use it.
- Excellent customer service and support available 24/7 from the mobile app or your computer.
- Compare your activity with Apple and Fitbit devices.
- You need to use a collar that is less than 1.5 inches wide.
- Does not have any GPS tracking abilities. **There is a new FitBark GPS version that works only in the U.S.**
- Have to use new zip ties every time you want to attach it to a different collar (comes with 8 zip ties).
- A common complaint is that the coloured covers tend to fall off. This is usually a result of the covers not being attached properly.
- A common complaint is that it is not waterproof like it says it is. This is because you need to make sure that the charging pins are kept dry. After the FitBark has become wet, you should remove the cover and let the pins dry fully before putting the cover back on.
- Does not track your dog’s heart rate. Not yet anyway, FitBark could be working on this in the future.
- Does not work on a harness. Using it on a harness will reduce the activity and sleep tracking accuracy.
The FitBark 2 Dog Activity Monitor is an excellent device for any dog owner to have. The impressive battery life of 6 months, lightweight design, ability to work anywhere in the world and affordable price, are only a few of its great features.
FitBark 2 allows you to keep track of your dog’s overall health and wellbeing. It has the ability to identify any health issues at their early stages before any visible symptoms appear in your dog. It is beneficial to dog owners who have anxious dogs, or dogs who need to lose weight.
I highly recommend the FitBark 2, but don’t just take my word for it, it is loved and recommended by dog owners and veterinarians all over the world!
If you happen to live in the U.S. and also want the ability to track your dog’s location, then you should try the new FitBark GPS.
Have you tried the FitBark 2 dog activity monitor yet?
Share your thoughts and comments below. I would love to hear from you.
Latest posts by Jenny (see all)
- Do Golden Retrievers Like To Be Hugged? [7 Things You Need To Know!] - January 4, 2022
- Is It OK To Play With Bubbles With My Dog? [7 Factors To Consider] - December 17, 2021
- Do Golden Retrievers Need To Wear A Winter Coat? [5 Factors To Consider] - December 9, 2021