Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
[Updated August 2019]
Is your dog getting enough exercise in a day? Does your dog need to lose weight? Find out how the FitBark 2 Dog Activity Monitor will help you answer these questions.
Activity monitors are a great way for us humans to keep track of our daily activity levels to help us improve our health, but what about our canine friends?
Dog owners who are wanting the best for their dogs can now also track the most essential piece of their dog’s health, their activity.
With FitBark you will be able to catch any early signs that your dog is in pain or sick, and you will be able to share this information with your Vet.
If you’ve never heard of FitBark, you’re in the right place. In this article, I will provide you with an overview of what FitBark is and why it would be beneficial to your dog and yourself.
If you have heard of FitBark, stick around because I will give you a detailed review of the FitBark 2.
What Is FitBark?
FitBark is basically the dog version of the Fitbit for humans. It is an activity and sleep monitor for your dog.
This tiny bone-shaped device tracks your dog’s physical and rest levels 24/7. You’ll be able to determine if your dog is getting enough exercise, or if your dog is anxious while you are away, and how many calories your dog has burned.
FitBark is a great way to improve not only your dog’s health but your own health too. If you own a Fitbit, or another human fitness tracking device, you can link it to the FitBark mobile app, and start tracking your activity level next to your dog’s.
Check out this short video to see FitBark in action. (This video is older and shows the original FitBark)
Overview Of The FitBark 2 Dog Activity Monitor
- A tiny bone-shaped device that attaches to your dog’s collar.
- Fits dogs of any breed, size and weight.
- Monitors your dog’s activity and sleep levels 24/7.
- Gives you insight into your dog’s health and behaviour.
- Allows you to share useful information about any changes in behaviour and health issues with your vet, such as mobility, anxiety, skin conditions, and other health issues.
- Motivates you and your dog to be healthy and active together.
- Tracks minute by minute activity, calories burned, distance travelled, sleep quality, and overall health and behaviour.
- Waterproof – can be submerged underwater up to 1 meter, for up to 30 minutes.
- Compatible with IOS and Android.
- Sync range is 30 feet (9 meters), sync requires an internet connection, and compatible IOS or Android device, or FitBark Wi-Fi Base Station.
Features Of The FitBark 2
FitBark was first launched in 2015 and has become the most popular and highest rated dog activity and sleep monitor on the market.
FitBark 2 was launched in 2017 and is the newest version of FitBark.
- Battery Life: lasts up to 6 months on a single charge.
- Memory: has the capacity to store 100 days of minute by minute data.
- Fit on collars: supports collars up to 38mm. (1.5 inches).
- How it connects to your dog’s collar: uses 2 zip ties to attach to the collar.
- Material and Design: Dimensions are 1.6 x 1.1 x 0.5 inches (41 x 28 x 13.5mm), Weight is 0.35 ounces (10 grams), and made from high impact Polycarbonate.
- Colours: only available in Black, but there are 12 interchangeable coloured covers to choose from (sold separately).
What Comes In The Box?
- Black Cover
- 8 Zip Ties
- Charging Cable
- Quick Start Guide
FitBark offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, free US and Worldwide shipping on anything over $15.00, and a 1-year limited warranty.
When you first get your FitBark 2, you will need to charge it for 90 minutes and make sure you have Bluetooth on, on your IOS or Android device.
Simply download the FitBark Mobile App and follow the instructions on the screen to set up a user profile and dog profile.
FitBark Can Provide You With Answers
The FitBark activity and sleep monitor can provide you with many helpful insights into your dog’s health. Let’s look at some common questions, and how FitBark can answer them.
How Can FitBark Help My Dog Lose Weight?
When you set-up your FitBark, you are asked what lifestyle you want for your dog, based on 3 percentiles, Typical, Active, or Olympian.
The FitBark will offer a real-time comparison between dogs of similar age, weight and breed across the world. Your dog’s activity is measured in BarkPoints, a higher level of BarkPoints means your dog is more active.
You can also measure how many calories your dog has burned. When your dog moves he/she will collect BarkPoints, and more calories will be burned. You can use this to estimate how much food to feed. An active dog requires more caloric intake than a less active dog.
How Can FitBark Help Monitor My Dog’s Separation Anxiety?
If you have a dog that suffers from separation anxiety, you know firsthand how stressful it is to leave your dog at home when you go to work.
Your dog doesn’t understand where you’re going or when you’ll be back, and you have no idea what to expect when you get home.
There’s a chance your dog may have destroyed or chewed the furniture or peed in the house. When you get home you find yourself having to check every room in the house for possible damage.
With FitBark, you will be able to check the mobile app and track your dog’s activity level.
You will be able to see if your dog has settled down after you are gone (fewer BarkPoints), or if he is active, the higher the BarkPoints, the more anxious your dog is.
You can compare your dog’s daily activity levels by looking at the average BarkPoints from a day spent with you, to that of a day spent without you.
Is The Dog Walker I Hired Walking My Dog?
Hiring a dog walker for your dog is a great idea while you are at work. But, how can you be sure your dog is actually being walked?
With FitBark you will be able to track how much exercise your dog is getting. Basically, you’ll be able to make sure the dog walker is getting paid to do the job.
Just open the FitBark mobile app, sync via Bluetooth when your dog gets home and you can find out in seconds.
The Pros And Cons
- Affordable at $69.95, comes with 1 Year Warranty, and 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Tracks your dog’s activity and sleep 24/7.
- Durable and lightweight.
- 6 Month Battery Life.
- Easy to set up, pair and sync to your smartphone.
- Compare your activity with Apple and Fitbit devices.
- Fits all dogs.
- Works worldwide.
- Gives consistent, accurate and dependable data, that you can share with your friends and Veterinarian.
- No monthly fees for use.
- Dedicated customer support, available 24/7 from the mobile app or your computer.
Owners love how the FitBark 2 keeps their dog happy and healthy, and it benefits them too. They are getting more active, and it motivates them to take longer walks or have more playtime with their dog.
The setup is so easy, and the mobile app is user-friendly.
- You need to use a collar that is less than 1.5 inches wide.
- Does not have any GPS tracking abilities.
- Have to use new zip ties every time you want to attach it to a different collar (comes with 8 zip ties).
- A common complaint is that the coloured covers tend to fall off. This is usually a result of the covers not being attached properly.
- A common complaint is that it is not waterproof like it says it is. This is because you need to make sure that the charging pins are kept dry. After the FitBark has become wet, you should remove the cover and let the pins dry fully before putting the cover back on.
- Does not track your dog’s heart rate. Not yet anyway, FitBark could be working on this in the future.
- Does not work on a harness. Using it on a harness will reduce the activity and sleep tracking accuracy.
If you are looking for a way to improve your dog’s health and happiness, or to see how your dog measures up to other dogs of the same age, weight and breed then the FitBark 2 dog activity monitor is an excellent choice for you.
FitBark would be beneficial to you if you worry about your dog being anxious when you are away, or if you are trying to help your dog lose weight. It gives you peace of mind knowing that your dog walker is actually walking your dog.
I highly recommend the FitBark 2, it is an affordable way to track the most essential piece of your dog’s health. It is also a great way for you to get more active and healthier too.
Try FitBark You Will Love It
Get yours at fitbark.com, 30-day money-back guarantee, free worldwide shipping (over $15.00), and a 1-Year Warranty.
What About You?
Have you tried the FitBark 2 dog activity monitor yet?
Share your thoughts and comments below. I would love to hear from you.
Latest posts by Jenny (see all)
- When To Spay A Golden Retriever [Is Spaying The Right Choice?] - February 15, 2020
- Calming Beds For Dogs [My Top 7 Picks] - February 3, 2020
- Valentine Gifts For Dogs [10 Best for 2020] - January 26, 2020