Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link & purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
[UPDATED JUNE 2022]
If you’re looking for the best waterproof blankets for dogs, you’ve come to the right place! I have done all the hard work for you and have come up with a list of 7 of the best.
Waterproof blankets for dogs are a great way to protect your furniture from dog pee, slobber, dog hair, scratching and bite marks.
The best waterproof blankets not only offer a barrier of protection, but they are soft, comfortable, and keep your pup warm when it’s cold out.
Whether you need a waterproof blanket for your puppy or senior dog, or you just want some peace of mind knowing your valuable furniture will be protected, we’ve got you covered!
What Is The Best Waterproof Blanket For Dogs?
In A Hurry? If you’re pressed for time and don’t want to stick around to read the article, I’ll get right to the point and tell you my top pick. The WESBRAD 100% Waterproof Blanket For Dogs by LovingBlanket, gets my top vote! It is easy on the wallet, stylish, cozy and warm, and is 100% waterproof and leakproof. It can be machine washed and dried, and still performs after numerous washings. Plus, it has a 100% money-back guarantee.
What To Look For In A Waterproof Blanket For Dogs
Not all waterproof blankets for dogs are created equal, some offer superior wetness protection over others.
When it comes to choosing the best waterproof blanket for your dog, there are some factors to consider, such as:
Waterproof Lining or Waterproof Coating
A waterproof lining offers superior protection compared to a waterproof coating.
An inner waterproof lining acts as a barrier to stop any leaks from seeping through the blanket. Usually, the mess will bead on top of the blanket if the accident happened right away. If the mess sits for a while, the inner lining will prevent the liquid from penetrating through to your furniture, or your dog’s favourite bed.
A waterproof coating may lose its effectiveness after the blanket has been washed numerous times. Some blankets with a waterproof coating, are not actually waterproof, but rather water-repellent.
Warmth and Comfort
Many dogs get chilly when the temperatures drop and could benefit from a warm and cozy blanket. Most waterproof dog blankets are made of soft microfleece, and some include a soft cozy sherpa lining.
The size of the blanket is an important factor to consider. If you want to protect your Queen size bed or large couch, you’ll need a blanket that can adequately cover it.
Ease of Cleaning
Waterproof blankets need to be cleaned, especially when your dog has an accident on them.
Many of the blankets can be machine washed on a gentle cycle, and tumble dried on low, while others need to be hand washed and hung dry. Let’s face it, nobody wants to hand wash a blanket!
Durability and Warranty
Waterproof blankets for dogs can be expensive. You want to make sure you spend your money wisely. It is always best to look for a blanket that comes with a guarantee or warranty, to protect your investment.
The style of the blanket is probably not important to your dog, but you might want a blanket that looks beautiful and matches your decor.
A waterproof dog blanket doesn’t have to be ugly, there are many stylish options included on this list to choose from.
The inner waterproof lining in some waterproof blankets makes a crinkle noise. This is just something to be aware of.
7 Best Waterproof Blankets For Dogs
1. AlphaPaw PawProof Waterproof Throw Blanket
[Best Soft & Cozy Blanket]
The PawProof Waterproof Throw Blanket by AlphaPaw gets my vote for the softest and most cozy blanket!
With soft faux fur on the top and microsuede on the bottom, this throw blanket keeps your pup calm and relaxed.
Not only does this blanket offer warmth, comfort and security, but most importantly it offers waterproof protection!
Use it on your dog’s bed, your own bed, couch, car seats, or floor to offer protection from dog hair, dirt, spills, messes and scratches.
Available in 2 neutral colours to complement any decor in your home, grey or beige. Comes in 3 sizes, small, medium and large.
This throw blanket is a great choice for any dog, and the waterproof lining gives you peace of mind knowing your furniture is protected!
- Stylish design that looks great in your home.
- Soft, comfortable and luxurious.
- The waterproof internal lining prevents any liquid from seeping through.
- Reversible design, faux fur on one side, microsuede on the other.
- Easy to clean, machine washable.
- Offers great protection for the couch and bed.
- AlphaPaw offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- It is heavy after washing, and you have to air dry it.
- Some owners mention that the blanket looks matted after being washed. One person mentioned they put this blanket in the dryer and it held up great, that may be an option, however, it is not recommended.
- It is a bit pricey.
2. Furhaven Waterproof Self-Warming Pet Throw Blanket
[Best Choice For Warmth]
This waterproof throw blanket by Furhaven Pet Products is stylish, cozy and warm, and easy to care for. It features a soft water-repellent terry fabric with a waterproof interior coating to protect your furniture, car seats, bed or floor from any messes and spills.
The Furhaven blanket is not only waterproof, but it is self-warming too! It has a heat reflective inner core made of mylar material to reflect your dog’s body heat, creating a warm sleep surface. No electricity is needed!
This blanket is great for all dogs who want to snuggle up in warmth. Puppies, seniors and slender dogs especially will benefit from a warm blanket.
There are 3 layers to this blanket, the top layer is a soft terry fabric, the inner layer is the self-warming core, and the bottom layer is a thick insulating sherpa.
Available in 4 sizes, and various neutral colours, the Furhaven Waterproof Blanket is a great choice. It can be machine washed.
Furhaven offers a 90-day limited warranty on this blanket.
- High quality blanket at an affordable price.
- It is also a great option for humans! One reviewer mentioned she used this blanket as an electricity-free option to keep her warm while camping.
- Soft and cozy, it is a great blanket for dogs who like to nest.
- Dogs love the coziness of this blanket, & owners love the waterproof protection.
- It is easy to clean.
- The inner layer is not attached to the rest of the blanket, which makes it a bit slippery. Can be dangerous for senior dogs, and the blanket tends to fall off the couch because it is slippery.
- It makes a crinkle noise because of the inner layer, and some dogs think it’s a toy.
- It takes a while to dry because of the inner layer. It needs to be air-dried.
3. WESBRAD 100% Waterproof Blanket For Dogs
[Best Overall Waterproof Blanket]
The WESBRAD Waterproof Dog Blanket claims to be 100% leak-proof, waterproof and totally pee-proof! It is even backed by a 100% money-back guarantee. Sounds great right?! It gets better, this blanket is actually a 2 pack, that’s right, you get 2 waterproof blankets at a great price point.
Also great is the fact that this blanket is easy to care for, it can be machine washed and tossed in the drier on a low setting. Even after numerous washings, this blanket still looks new and performs as it should! To maintain the waterproof quality of this blanket, absolutely no bleach, fabric softener, or products other than laundry soap should be used.
There are 3 layers of waterproof and leak-proof protection to this blanket. It is made of super durable premium fabric, triple-layer polar fleece with an internal breathable waterproof membrane.
It is soft and cozy for your dog to lay on, but more importantly, it acts as waterproof protection for your furniture, bed, floors and car seats.
Available in a two-tone reversible grey, this blanket looks great in any home. Each blanket in the 2 pack measures 36″ x 30″. It is also available in Large and Queen sizes, but only one blanket, not a 2 pack.
- Works as advertised, it is 100% waterproof and leak-proof.
- Customer service is great, made by LovingBlanket, which is a family-owned US business.
- The premium polar fleece is super soft & warm in the winter, and cool in the summer.
- It is reversible, the neutral colour matches any decor.
- Liquid does not penetrate through this blanket.
- High-quality & well-made, backed by a 100% money-back guarantee.
- Only available in one colour.
- It takes a while to dry, can only be dried on a low setting in the dryer.
- It holds a ton of water, some owners mentioned they had to put it on an extra spin cycle to get the water out.
4. SUNNYTEX Waterproof Reversible Dog Bed Cover
This waterproof and reversible dog bed cover by Sunnytex is available in various sizes, there are sizes large enough to cover and protect a King and Queen size bed.
It is made of Polyester/Microfiber and features 4 layers of waterproof protection. The top and bottom layers are water-resistant Microfiber fabric, one inner layer is soft Microfiber filling, and the other inner layer is a TPU waterproof coating.
This blanket is suitable for all types of furniture but is ideal for the couch and bed due to its availability of large sizes. It offers protection from puppy or dog slobber, bite marks, scratches and spills and messes.
The Sunnytex dog bed cover is well-made and designed to last. It comes with a 3-month warranty and great customer service.
This blanket is easy to clean, it can be machine washed and tumble dried on a low setting.
- There are 6 sizes available to suit all types of furniture, even King and Queen size beds.
- Two-tone reversible design is available in plenty of colours to match any decor.
- It is lightweight and easy to clean.
- Protects your furniture from dirt, dog hair, bite marks, spills and messes.
- Great price.
- Not as soft and cuddly as other waterproof blankets.
- There are mixed reviews on this about it making a crinkle noise, some say it does make a slight noise, while others say it doesn’t.
- There are numerous mentions of this blanket not being waterproof, but instead only water-resistant. After being washed, the blanket doesn’t repel water anymore.
- It seems the company has changed this blanket, the new version is not waterproof like the old version was. Although, it is not waterproof, it still offers great protection from dirt, pet hair and scratching.
5. Waterproof Pet Blanket by Pawsse
The Waterproof Pet Blanket by Pawsse is available in 4 different sizes to protect any type of furniture, including your couch and Queen or King size bed.
It is a two-tone reversible soft and cozy blanket with waterproof micro-fleece fabric on one side and a soft and cozy sherpa lining on the other. A waterproof coating is applied on the inside of the blanket to prevent any spills or messes from leaking through.
This blanket is lightweight, available in various colours, and keeps your pup warm and cozy when it gets cold. But, most importantly it will protect your furniture and dog bed. The micro-fleece side is 100% waterproof, but the sherpa side is not, liquid will penetrate the blanket, but will not leak through.
There are some mixed reviews on this blanket in regards to how to wash it. The manufacturer states that it can be machine washed, but a few owners have mentioned that the tag on the blanket says to hand wash it. Many people have machine-washed it on a delicate/gentle cycle and the blanket came out fine. It is recommended to hang dry.
- Lightweight, soft and cozy, will keep your pup warm.
- One owner mentioned that he has washed this blanket at least 15 times, as well as dried it and it still performs well and looks great.
- Great looking blanket with a reversible design to match any decor.
- Many people say this blanket is easier to clean than what is suggested. They machine wash it as well as put it in the dryer, and it comes out great.
- Thick and durable, holds up to scratching and biting.
- It does shed a bit, especially when it’s new.
- It holds water when it is washed, therefore it takes a while to dry.
- The 80″ x 60″ size does not completely cover a Queen size bed, it is recommended to go up a size.
- For the blanket to be waterproof, the micro-fleece side has to be facing up, the sherpa side is not waterproof.
6. Victoria Orton 100% Waterproof Dog Blanket
[Best Choice For King or Queen Size Bed Protection]
This waterproof dog blanket by Victoria Orton is one of the most stunning options on this list! It is available in one size, 90″ x 90″, large enough to cover and protect a Queen or King size bed, or a generous size couch. Plus, it actually looks like a beautiful bed cover.
It is reversible in neutral colours to match any decor, and both sides have a stylish but minimal print. One side is Fiord Blue, the other is Quill White, both have an embroidered border to complete the look.
This blanket features 3 layers of waterproof protection. Both outside layers are spill-resistant soft polyester mink, and the inside layer is a 100% waterproof membrane that will not crinkle or make any noise.
Rest assured, this blanket performs well and is super easy to clean. The polyester mink is designed to make any spills or messes bead on top, which you can simply wipe. A pet stain remover without enzymes can be used to treat the stain as well if you didn’t quite catch the mess in time. If a complete wash is required, you can machine wash it in cold water and tumble dry on low.
Victoria Orton stands behind the quality of her products and offers a 100% waterproof and satisfaction guarantee.
- Very beautiful blanket that doesn’t look like it’s for your dog, it looks like a bed cover.
- Durable & does what it is supposed to, prevents any liquids from seeping through.
- Reversible design, to give you 2 stylish looks.
- Large enough to cover a King size bed.
- Super soft & luxurious.
- Doesn’t hold dog hair.
- The inner 100% waterproof membrane is noiseless.
- It is a bit heavy, and even heavier when washing.
- It is pricey, however, many owners mention it is well worth it.
- You cannot use enzymatic pet stain removers.
- Many people wish it was available in more colours.
7. PetAmi Waterproof Dog Blanket
The PetAmi Waterproof Dog Blanket is lightweight, stylish, soft and comfortable. Most importantly, this blanket is 100% waterproof with an internal waterproof membrane. Use it to protect your bed, couch, car seats, dog bed or crate, or take it with you for outdoor use. This blanket is very versatile.
Featuring thick and cozy sherpa on one side, and soft microfleece on the other, this blanket will keep your pup cozy and warm, all while protecting your furniture from any leaks, messes and dog hair.
This high-quality blanket is easy to clean as well, simply throw it in the washing machine in cold water and tumble dry on low. It can handle numerous washings without losing its performance or quality.
It is recommended to use this blanket with the waterproof microfleece side up.
Available in 3 different sizes, and various colours to suit your style.
- 100% waterproof and leakproof with an internal waterproof membrane.
- HIgh-quality, durable and lightweight.
- It is easy to clean and dry, and it doesn’t lose its quality or performance.
- Works great in the car too, if your pup gets carsick or has an accident.
- Dogs love this blanket, it’s soft and cozy.
- As with all waterproof dog blankets, it holds water after being washed, and takes forever to dry.
- It tends to hold dog hair and dirt.
- Dogs who chew, tend to go after the sherpa side first.
Waterproof blankets for dogs are one of the best things for any dog owner to have. Accidents happen, whether you have a puppy who is still potty training, or an older dog with incontinence issues, having a waterproof blanket to protect your furniture or dog bed is a small price to pay.
Undoubtedly, the best part of a waterproof dog blanket is knowing your bed or couch will not get ruined, but coming in at a close second, is knowing your pup can be comfortable and warm in his favourite spot!
I am the proud owner of a Golden Retriever named Ellie. She keeps me busy, and when she is resting, you can find me working on my blog. She is always close by though. I live in Stirling, ON Canada with my husband, and we both enjoy the never a dull moment life with our Ellie.
6 thoughts on “Waterproof Blankets For Dogs [7 Best Reviewed]”
I cannot tell you as a fellow dog owner how helpful a waterproof blanket is. I bought some when I got my 2 pups and you can’t trust them because they will pee everywhere. This blanket made me a little less stressed about the furniture as I knew the blanket was waterproof.
I would definitely recommend it even if you don’t have pups just a dog in general.
Waterproof blankets are a great investment for any dog owner. They are a small price to pay to have the protection of your expensive furniture.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Saw that you mentioned that these blankets are capable of fitting a queen mattress? That’s impressive. I have a king mattress and have had some accidents with my two-year-old pup, Olivia. She’s broken so many covers that I stopped getting them, but knowing there are other alternatives out there is quite soothing, and even better since it also serves to bring warmth to my fur baby!
Yes, many of these blankets are large enough to cover a Queen bed. So many dogs sleep on their owner’s beds, so it is great to have the protection of a waterproof dog blanket.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts,
Thank you so much for this post. I have 3 dogs. So this post is so valuable to me. I was actually looking for a waterproof blanket like this for my dogs. In this post, you have given a very detailed review of the best blanket. I think the WESBRAD blanket is really fit for my dogs. Because It has a number of pros.
The WESBRAD waterproof blanket for dogs is really great! With 3 dogs you really need a blanket that is versatile and can hold up to numerous washings without losing its effectiveness. The WESBRAD ticks all the boxes! Plus, it’s at a great price point.
Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts.