Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
[Updated April 2020]
Being a dog owner is extremely rewarding, but, you know what isn’t so rewarding, having to deal with all of that dog hair! Owning a vacuum cleaner is a must for any dog owner, but not all vacuums are created equal. What is the best vacuum for dog owners?
One that sucks up all of that dog hair with ease, and doesn’t leave any trace of hair behind on both hard floors and carpet.
In this article, we’ll look at 5 of the best vacuum cleaners that will leave your home looking as if you don’t even own a dog. Temporarily of course, because we all know that shedding is inevitable!
What Is The Best Vacuum For Dog Owners?
1. Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional [My Personal Favourite]
This is actually the vacuum cleaner that I have at home, and it is the only one I use. I vacuum thoroughly once a week and this cleaner does a great job.
I mostly have hardwood floors with some area rugs that are low-pile as well as high-pile. This vacuum features a brush roll that you can turn on for carpets and turn off for vacuuming hard floor surfaces.
It is lightweight and very easy to maneuver. When vacuuming carpets you can adjust the suction power depending on the pile of the carpet. For higher pile carpets you can lessen the suction power, which is necessary or else the vacuum will not move.
This vacuum is great on my area rugs, and the included tools allow me to get underneath my furniture as well as clean my stairs.
- Upright and bagless vacuum.
- Lightweight weighs 13.7 pounds.
- XL capacity dustbin, 2.2 quarts.
- Lift-Away, the canister can be removed with the touch of a button to clean stairs and hard to reach areas.
- Anti Allergen Complete Seal and HEPA filter to trap 99.9% of dust and allergens.
- Brush roll-on/off button for deep carpet and bare floor cleaning.
- Swivel steering.
- 5-foot hose.
- 25-foot cord.
- Tools Included: dusting brush, crevice tool, extension wand & pet power brush.
- 5 Year Limited Warranty.
- This vacuum is really lightweight and the swivel steering makes it easy to move around corners and furniture.
- For a vacuum, this one is pretty quiet, which is important for dog owners.
- I love the suction power adjustment, which can be turned up or down depending on the floor. For hard floors, I turn the suction up all the way and I lessen the suction for my high pile area rugs (otherwise the vacuum is too powerful and it will suck up the entire rug.)
- It features a lift-away release button so you can remove the canister to easily clean stairs or overhead ceilings. (I have never felt the need to use the lift-away feature because this vacuum is so lightweight I just leave it attached.)
- It is bagless and features washable filters, so there is no extra cost of having to buy filters.
- The cord is extra long so you can go room to room without having to unplug and plug it back in.
- The dustbin is extra large so you don’t need to constantly empty it.
- I wish the dusting brush that was included was larger. I use it for cleaning my hardwood stairs and it takes me a while to do so.
- Only Shark accessories/tools will fit the vacuum attachments. Most other vacuums have universal fitting tools.
- The dustbin is awkward to empty because of the way the filter sits inside, dust and dirt get stuck and you have to pull it out.
- I don’t like how long the cord is, I find it tangles easily.
2. Dyson Ball Animal 2 Total Clean [Strongest Suction Power]
Dyson vacuums have a reputation for quality and performance. When it comes to vacuums, Dyson is an industry leader.
The Dyson Ball Animal 2 is a great upright vacuum for tackling all floor surfaces as well as cleaning stairs and furniture.
According to Dyson, this vacuum cleaner has the strongest suction power of all pet hair vacuums on the market. Their claim is backed by research.
This vacuum comes with 6 extra tools to tackle pet hair everywhere in your home. It’s really the only vacuum cleaner you will need.
It features ball technology which makes this vacuum easy to maneuver with the flick of your wrist. The self-adjusting cleaner head easily adjusts to hard floors and carpet without having to push a button.
- Upright and bagless.
- Weighs 17.42 pounds.
- Dustbin capacity is 0.55 gallons.
- Whole machine HEPA filtration, and radial root cyclone technology to capture more microscopic dust.
- Ball technology for easy maneuvering.
- Self-adjusting cleaner head.
- 35-foot power cord.
- Washable lifetime HEPA filter.
- 306 AW suction power.
- Hose length reaches 50 feet.
- Tools Included: tangle-free turbine tool, hard floor tool, combination tool, soft dusting brush, multi-angle brush, reach under tool, mattress tool, and stair tool.
- Includes a tool storage bag.
- 5 Year Warranty, free parts, labour, and shipping.
- There are tools for every job included with this vacuum, plus you can store them in the included tote bag.
- Incredible suction power easily removes pet hair from your entire home.
- It is very easy to steer and maneuver around furniture and corners.
- The dustbin can easily be emptied with the release of a button.
- The filter is washable so there is no extra cost of buying filters.
- The hose reaches 50 feet so you can easily tackle ceilings, curtains and stairs.
- It is expensive, but owners of this vacuum say it is worth every penny.
- It is not as lightweight as other vacuums.
- The ball unit makes it hard to get under furniture, but that is when you could use one of the included tools.
- The extremely powerful brush roll makes this vacuum difficult to push on thick pile carpet such as shag.
- It is a little on the loud side.
3. Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away TruePet [Best Value]
This Shark vacuum is a powerful 3 in 1 vacuum cleaner that can transform itself from an upright to a canister and to a lift-away handheld vacuum.
Use it as an upright for vacuuming large areas then simply transform it into a canister to vacuum under furniture, and use it as a lift-away to clean stairs and ceilings or drapes.
All of the controls are in the handle, making it easy to use. You can easily switch from hard floors to carpets by pushing the fingertip button.
This vacuum features powerful suction, which can be set to full suction on hard floors, and then reduced suction on high pile carpets.
The swivel steering makes this vacuum easy to maneuver around corners and furniture. The LED lights on the floor nozzle and handle allow you to see dirt and hair in dark spaces.
One of the included tools is the TruePet mini motorized brush which removes ground-in dirt and debris and stuck on pet hair from carpeted stairs, upholstery, and vehicle interiors. The brush is electrically powered instead of air-powered for better cleaning.
- 3-in-1 Vacuum transforms from upright to canister to a handheld.
- Weighs 15.4 pounds.
- Lift-Away canister for versatility.
- Fingertip controls.
- Anti-Allergen Complete Seal and HEPA filter traps 99.9% of dust and allergens.
- Dustbin capacity is 1.5 quarts.
- Swivel steering.
- LED lights on the floor nozzle and handle.
- 30-foot power cord.
- 6-foot hose.
- Washable HEPA filter.
- Tools Included: dusting genie (crevice and dusting tool), True Pet mini motorized brush, dusting brush, upholstery brush, hard floor genie with a washable microfiber pad.
- 7 Year Limited Warranty.
- This vacuum is a great value because you get a traditional upright vacuum, a canister vacuum and a lift-away handheld.
- It has powerful suction to remove even the most stubborn pet hair from your home.
- The swivel steering makes this vacuum easy to maneuver around furniture and corners, and when you transform it to canister mode you can easily clean under your furniture.
- The controls are all in the handle, so you can easily switch from hard floor to low pile carpet and high pile carpet with the touch of a button at your fingertips.
- The added LED lights allow you to see dirt and hair in dark spaces like closets or corners.
- The HEPA filter is washable.
- This vacuum is fairly quiet.
- It is a bit heavy.
- The cord is long and tangles easily, some users wish the cord was retractable.
- The dustbin could be a bit larger.
- There is no onboard storage for all of the accessories.
4. Bissell Cleanview Rewind Pet Deluxe Upright [Best Affordable]
This vacuum is a great option for you if you get annoyed with having to wind the cord. No, it’s not cordless, but it features an automatic cord rewind. Simply push the button and the cord winds itself.
This Bissell vacuum is a great affordable option with many premium features. The Triple-Action brush roll and scatter free technology makes picking up pet hair a breeze on any floor type.
It has Edge-to-Edge cleaning and tools specifically for picking up pet hair such as the Pet Hair Corner Tool for sucking up pet hair in corners and edges and the Pet Turbo Eraser Tool for cleaning hair from upholstery and carpeted stairs.
This vacuum features a large capacity dustbin, and all of the tools included are stored onboard so you can easily switch to overhead cleaning of curtains, ceiling or stairs.
Another great thing about this vacuum is that every purchase helps save pets. Up to $10 dollars is donated to the Bissell Pet Foundation.
- Upright and bagless.
- Triple Action brush roll.
- Scatter Free Technology.
- 27-foot automatic rewind power cord.
- Edge-to-Edge cleaning.
- Dustbin capacity is 1.0 litres.
- Weighs 19 pounds.
- 5 setting height adjustment dial (bare floor-high pile carpet).
- Multi-Cyclonic Suction.
- Multi-level filtration system, the filter is washable.
- Tools Included: extension wand, crevice tool, Pet TurboEraser tool, dusting brush, Pet Hair corner tool.
- Limited 3-Year Warranty.
- More affordable than other upright pet vacuums.
- Included tools can all be stored onboard and allow you to clean your entire home without needing a different vacuum.
- The dustbin is large and easy to empty.
- Great suction on hard floors and carpets.
- 5 setting height adjustment for all floor types.
- The filter is washable.
- The included pet tools are great.
- There is no on/off button for the brush roll. The brush roll is always on, however, you can adjust the height so the brush roll doesn’t touch hardwood floors.
- There are a few complaints about the belt breaking and needing to be replaced.
- It is hard to push on high pile carpet such as shag.
- The height settings need to be changed by manually turning the dial on the base of the vacuum.
- It is not as lightweight as other upright vacuums.
5. Shark APEX DuoClean [Best Overall]
The Shark APEX DuoClean vacuum is one of the best vacuums for the overall cleaning of your entire home.
It is especially beneficial for dog owners because it features noise reduction technology, I don’t know any dog or cat that likes the sound of a loud vacuum. Well, this vacuum is expertly tuned to reduce noise and soften the pitch.
This vacuum removes unwanted pet hair from any surface of your home and features Zero-M technology which is a new feature that Shark has added to their latest vacuums.
Zero-M gets rid of long and short tangled hair in the brush roll, so there are no worries at all about hair getting stuck. The brush roll cleans itself! No more Golden Retriever hair or human hair tangles!
It also features a HEPA filter and a completely sealed system to reduce pet dander and allergens in your home.
The included pet tools are specifically designed to remove embedded pet hair from upholstery, stairs, and vehicle interiors.
Another great feature is the added soft foam brush roll in the front to give hard floor surfaces a polished look. The brush roll behind it does an excellent job of picking up dirt and debris and pet hair from carpets.
- Upright and bagless.
- Weighs 17.1 pounds.
- Dust bin capacity is 1.5 quarts.
- 30-foot power cord.
- Anti-Allergen Complete Seal and HEPA filter.
- Washable filters.
- LED lights on the floor nozzle and handle.
- DuoClean– dual brush roll for deep cleaning carpets and polished hardwood floors.
- Zero-M Technology– removes hair wrap from brush roll.
- Powered Lift-Away– 3 in 1 vacuum, use it as an upright, or lift-away the canister and use the motorized head to clean under furniture, and use in above-floor mode to clean stairs and ceilings.
- Fingertip controls in the handle, easily switch from bare floors to carpets.
- Swivel steering.
- Tools Included: Pet Power Brush, upholstery tool, 12″ crevice tool.
- Limited 5-Year Warranty.
- Has great suction power on all floor types.
- Easy to maneuver with swivel steering.
- It is a quiet vacuum with a low pitch.
- All of the controls are in the handle, making it easy to switch from hard floors to low pile and thick pile carpets.
- The brush roll is self-cleaning to eliminate hair tangles.
- The HEPA filter is washable to save you money.
- Leaves a polished look on hardwood floors.
- It allows you to clean under furniture in Lift-Away mode.
- LED lights allow you to see dirt and hair in dark corners and closets.
- It is a bit heavy.
- A few owners of this vacuum have complained that the hose is a bit too short.
- Not all of the tools fit onboard the vacuum.
How To Buy The Best Vacuum For Dog Hair [Things To Consider]
While all vacuums will suck up dirt and debris from your home, not all of them are powerful enough to remove that stuck on dog hair from your carpets or upholstery or even your hard floors.
Here are things that you need to consider when buying a vacuum for pet hair:
Most homeowners have a mix of flooring in their homes and will benefit from a vacuum cleaner that can easily adapt to all floor surfaces.
If the majority of your flooring is carpet, a vacuum cleaner with a powerful brush roll will be important to you so it can easily lift the dog hair from carpet, regardless of the type of pile, low, medium or high pile.
Vacuum cleaners for hardwood floors will need to have a brush roll off button in order to stop the brush roll from turning and scratching the floor.
Even if the majority of your home is hard floor surfaces, whether it’s hardwood, laminate or tiles, having a vacuum cleaner with a brush roll-on/off button will be beneficial. This way you can vacuum area rugs as well.
Corded Or Cordless
This is really a preference thing and has no effect on how the vacuum performs. Cordless vacuums may allow you to vacuum areas that you can’t get to without a power supply. You could vacuum your car.
Corded vacuums can be a bit of a pain, especially if you find that the cord is too short and you constantly need to unplug the vacuum and plug it in somewhere else just to get the job done.
Bags Or Bagless?
Again, this comes down to what type you prefer. I prefer a bagless vacuum simply because I do not want to buy bags all the time.
Bagless vacuums can be messy to empty, but I like seeing what dirt the vacuum cleaner picks up. Bagless vacuums can be emptied directly into your garbage bin with the touch of a button. I usually empty mine directly into a garbage bag to avoid any dust/dirt from flying in the air.
If you have a large area to vacuum or if you have more than 1 pet, the size of the dustbin will be important to you. You want the bin large enough so that you can at least vacuum your entire home without having to empty the bin.
Let’s face it all vacuums are loud, especially to our dog’s ears. Some vacuums, however, are louder than others. If you will be vacuuming while your dog is at home, you will want to find one that is quieter.
Tools such as a crevice tool and an upholstery brush will be handy especially for vacuuming those hard to reach places, as well as curtains and furniture.
Many of the pet hair vacuums will include specialty tools for removing pet hair from upholstery, pet beds, and carpeted stairs.
Many of the vacuums for pet hair come with a HEPA filter, which stands for High-Efficiency Particulate Air.
A HEPA filter removes and traps micro-particles from the air such as dust, pollen and pet dander. It helps to improve the air quality in your home and is great for allergy sufferers.
Some vacuums will include HEPA filters that can be washed and re-used, and others include filters that need to be replaced.
Removing pet hair from your home requires a lot of suction power, especially if you need to lift the hair from carpet and upholstery.
It may be hard to determine how much suction power a vacuum will have because manufacturers tend to list how much power the motor uses or puts out in Watts, Amps, or Horsepower.
The key units of measure to look for are AW (Air Watts) or CFM (cubic feet per minute). Air watts measure how much power or suction the vacuum has, and CFM measures how much air/dirt is pulled in over a minute. The higher the number, the better.
Type Of Vacuum Cleaner
There are a few different types of vacuum cleaners available and depending on the area that you need to vacuum each type will offer a benefit.
- Upright Vacuum: Great for large areas and regular cleaning.
- Canister Vacuum: It offers more flexibility and maneuverability. Great for cleaning and reaching underneath furniture.
- Stick Vacuum: Lightweight and great for tackling hard to reach areas, but mostly used for quick vacuum jobs.
- Handheld Vacuum: Very versatile, and just as the name implies it is handheld. Great for cleaning your vehicle or your furniture.
- Robot Vacuum: Great for cleaning your home so you don’t have to. Some models can operate from your smartphone and can be used while you are away. Generally quieter than traditional vacuums. Great for daily cleaning, but you will still have to clean areas the robot vac can’t get to like your stairs, under the furniture and upholstery.
**If you are looking for the best robot vacuum for dog hair, be sure to check out my review of 3 of the best.
Final Thoughts On The Best Vacuum For Dog Owners
Having a vacuum cleaner that will effectively pick up all that dog hair is a must for any dog owner!
A great pet hair vacuum doesn’t have to cost an arm and a leg, some of the best vacuums for dog owners are very affordable.
I highly recommend any of the Shark vacuum cleaners that I have listed above. I am very satisfied with the one that I own, the Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional. I love the on/off brush roll feature as well as the suction release valve. I am able to control the amount of suction which is especially important for my shag area rugs.
The Shark Rotator TruePet is an excellent choice because it gives you the most value. You can transform it into a canister vacuum to easily clean underneath your furniture. Also, it comes with a motorized pet tool for better cleaning of upholstery and car interiors. (Other vacuums offer air-powered tools which are not as powerful).
The Shark APEX DuoClean is a great overall vacuum because it features the soft roller brush to give your hard floors a polished look, and it has noise reduction technology which is important when you’re trying to vacuum around your dog. The brush roll also cleans itself from any hair tangles.
Many owners of the Dyson Ball Animal 2 absolutely love it! It has the most powerful suction of all the vacuums, so it will definitely keep your home pet hair-free. I would recommend it for hard floors and low to medium pile carpets only because it is too powerful for high pile carpets. (You may work up a sweat trying to move it on shag carpeting.)
The Bissell Cleanview is the most affordable vacuum on this list, with many premium features. It too has powerful suction and features an automatic cord rewind. The main drawback, however, is that the brush roll never shuts off. It would be best for homes with mainly carpeted areas.
What About You?
Do you own or use any of the vacuum cleaners listed above? Which pet hair vacuum is your favourite? What features are important to you in a pet hair vacuum?
Share your thoughts and experience below in the comments. I would love to hear from you.
Latest posts by Jenny (see all)
- How To Remove Skunk Smell On A Dog - September 28, 2020
- What Is The Best Shampoo For A Golden Retriever? [My 6 Top Picks] - September 11, 2020
- English Retriever vs Golden Retriever - August 28, 2020