Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
After a hard day of running around and chasing anything in sight, your dog deserves to be comfortable. What better way to rest and rejuvenate than on a nice orthopedic bed, where your dog can dream of the adventures that he had.
Orthopedic beds are not only great for younger dogs, but they can help to relieve pain in senior dogs or injured dogs. The best orthopedic dog beds are made with memory foam which helps to provide relief from pressure points and support for bones and joints.
If you have ever woken up from a bad night rest all sore and achy, you know well enough that it can ruin your whole day. Well, think of your dog having that same feeling all sore after not sleeping well, perhaps on a worn out bed. It’s up to you to provide your pooch with a great bed. Lucky for you this article will help you find a great orthopedic bed for your dog. There are many dog beds on the market today, and making an informed decision can be very overwhelming. In this article I will review the best orthopedic beds to help you make a decision.
What Is An Orthopedic Bed?
An orthopedic bed is one that is designed with memory foam that relieves pressure points and provides cushioning and support for bones and joints. An orthopedic bed is one that provides enough thickness and support to your dog so that your dog’s body does not feel the hard floor beneath him.
Any Dog Can Benefit Regardless Of Age
- Comfort is one of the top benefits of these type of beds. If you’ve ever slept on a memory foam bed yourself, you know firsthand that they provide a great nights sleep, and your body is supported.
- Younger Dogs will benefit from orthopedic beds as well, by preventing aching bones and joints.
- Senior Dogs that suffer from arthritis, joint problems, hip dysplasia, or muscle loss associated with old age will benefit from an orthopedic bed. These types of beds offer extra support which means your dog will get a better sleep and be more rejuvenated and active during the day.
- Injured Dogs that have had surgery can find relief in an orthopedic bed, because they are designed to reduce pain, stiffness, and they hold in heat which allows the dog’s circulation to increase which encourages healing.
- Slim Dogs that don’t have the extra padding on them to protect their bones will benefit from the added cushioning and support that orthopedic beds provide.
Key QualitiesTo Look For In An Orthopedic Bed
You want to make sure that the bed is made from memory foam. Memory foam conforms to your dogs body, and distributes the weight evenly, which relieves pressure points on bones and joints. Memory foam also adjusts to your dog’s body temperature allowing your dog to be at a comfortable temperature while resting. Memory foam allows airflow because it has air pockets.
Look for a bed that is made from slow recovery visco-elastic memory foam. This foam will provide the most support and will last a long time. Memory foam is rated from 3-5lbs, 5lbs is the highest quality, and will provide the most support for your dog.
Size and Thickness
Make sure the bed you choose has a large enough diameter for your dog. The larger the bed the less pressure it puts on your dog’s joints. You want the bed to be large enough so that your dog can lay comfortably without having to curl up in an uncomfortable sleeping position.
Look for a bed that has a minimum thickness of 5 centimeters or 2 inches. You want to choose the thickest mattress available as this will provide the most support and will last a long time.
Make sure that the bed you buy has a removable and washable cover. If your dog has an accident on the bed you will definitely want a cover that can easily be taken off and washed. Look for a bed that is made from waterproof materials, as this will protect it from any accidents.
Shape of Bed
Orthopedic beds come in different shapes. Rectangular shaped beds are great if your dog likes to sprawl out at full length. There are also donut and bolster style beds that have raised sides which are great if your dog likes to rest and elevate his head, or likes to lean against something for security. Large lounger style beds are great for large dogs to spread out on in comfort.
The shape of bed that you choose should match your dog’s sleeping position. Take the time to observe how your pet sleeps whether it is curled up in a ball, leaning against something, or spreading out at full length.
Some beds will have the added benefit of having a non-slip bottom. This is definitely a plus if you are putting the bed in an area that has a hard floor such as tile or hardwood. You don’t want the bed to slide around when your dog is getting on and off the bed.
Reviews of 2 Best Orthopedic Dog Beds For Large Dogs
Big Barker 7″ Orthopedic Dog Bed With Pillow Top (Headrest Edition)
-10 Year Warranty, the foam will retain 90% of its shape and loft for 10 yrs. Or your money back
– American made 7″ thick therapeutic foam – won’t flatten
– Made in USA
– Specially made for large dogs
– Machine washable 100% microfiber cover
– Stays cool, made with open cell foam which allows air circulation through the bed
– No toxic chemical smell
– Choice of 4 colors: Khaki, Charcoal Gray, Chocolate & Burgundy
– Not waterproof, must buy separate waterproof liner to protect the bed
The Big Barker is a great quality bed that has been specially designed for large breed dogs. This bed is made to last, it has a 10-year warranty, so you’ll be assured that your money is well spent. The fact that it is easy to clean, and stays cool with no chemical smell makes this dog bed a great choice.
– 100% orthopedic grade memory foam
– Hypoallergenic solid memory foam
– 7″ thick memory foam with 3″ thick pillow (built in headrest)
– 2 Water-resistant zippered covers protect against messes, and can be easily washed
– Soft micro suede cover
– Choice of 2 colors: Gray & Chocolate Brown
– Anti-slip rubber bottom
– No mention of product warranty
– There is a slight chemical smell that takes a few days of airing out to disappear
The great thing about the Kopeks Bed is that it comes with 2 water-resistant covers, that are easy to wash, and the anti-slip rubber bottom is a nice feature.
Final Thoughts On Best Orthopedic Dog Beds For Large Dogs
I hope the above article is beneficial to you when choosing the right orthopedic dog bed. It is important to keep your dog’s comfort and well-being in mind. Any of the 2 reviewed dog beds would be a great choice, as they are 2 of the best orthopedic dog beds for large dogs.