Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
[UPDATED SEPTEMBER 2020]
Don’t settle for just any dog crate, use a top rated dog crate for your furry best friend! Not all dog crates are created equal, they come in many shapes and sizes and serve different purposes.
There are crates that are specially designed for growing puppies, small dogs, and large dogs, as well as soft-sided crates, fashion crates, and heavy-duty crates designed for air travel.
Are you confused about which type of crate to get for your pup? Don’t worry because we’ll look at 6 different crates and discuss their pros and cons, as well as their purpose.
Depending on your dog’s needs and your purpose of using a dog crate, I am certain that you will find the best one for your pup.
Before we get to the reviews, we’ll look at the benefits of using a crate and how to choose the right one for your dog.
5 Benefits Of Using A Dog Crate
When used properly a crate can be very beneficial for your dog. Dogs are den animals and enjoy the safety and security that a crate offers.
A crate should be introduced to your puppy or dog in a positive way, and should never be used as punishment. If used as punishment, your dog will associate the crate with a negative experience.
1. House Training
A crate can be used to house train your new puppy, or rescue dog. Dogs do not like to pee or poop where they sleep, and by having your puppy in a crate that is sized appropriately, your puppy will be encouraged to control elimination and establish a regular routine for outdoor potty breaks.
2. Prevent Accidents At Night
Using a crate for your puppy will help to prevent accidents from happening while you are sleeping. You will need to listen for any whining or barking from your puppy, as this will be a signal that your puppy needs to go outside for elimination.
You may wish to place the crate beside your bed so that you can hear when your puppy needs to go out.
3. Prevent Accidents and Destruction When Left Alone
By having your puppy in a crate when you have to leave the house, you can enjoy peace of mind, knowing that your puppy is safe and comfortable, and your home is not being soiled or your furniture is not being chewed on.
Make sure that your pup is not left in a crate too long! According to the U.S. Humane Society, puppies under 6 months old should not be in a crate for more than 3 or 4 hours at a time. If your dog is left in a crate too long, your dog will become anxious and possibly injure themselves by panicking and trying to get out.
4. Secure Space For Your Dog
A crate offers your dog a secure and private space of their own. Your dog will be able to go to their den to sleep, relax and feel comfortable.
If you have a family with young children, a crate can be a spot where your dog will feel safe and secure and enjoy the quiet. Remember to teach young children that a crate is a special area that is only meant for your dog.
5. Safer Travel
If you travel with your dog or puppy, a crate will be a safe option for you. A crate will keep your puppy safe while travelling in a vehicle, and prevent your pup from roaming around while you are driving.
For small dogs and puppies, a travel crate can be used to transport them to vet appointments or any other outings.
Some dogs do not like to travel in vehicles, and a crate can offer them a sense of safety and security, to help them feel more relaxed and calm.
How To Choose The Best Crate For Your Dog
With so many crates to choose from, many people are left confused and don’t know how to pick the right crate for their dog. When it comes to choosing the best crate for your dog you need to consider the following:
The first thing you need to determine is what the crate will be used for. One of the most common reasons dog owners buy a crate is for housetraining a new puppy. However, some people need a crate to transport their dog safely in a vehicle or on an airline.
Many people make the mistake of buying a crate that is either too large or not big enough. If you are getting a new puppy, consider buying a crate that will fit your pup when fully grown. Puppies grow fast, and will quickly outgrow a crate that is too small. Look for a crate with a divider that can be removed to make the space larger when they grow.
Your pup should be able to stand up, lie down, and turn around comfortably. Using a crate that is too big will allow your puppy to use the extra space as a washroom, and that is not what you want!
There are many different types and styles of crates. Wire crates are the most popular and are great for puppies and training. Plastic and soft-sided crates are usually used for transporting your dog, and heavy-duty crates are best for destructive dogs and escape artists. Fashion crates are usually made out of wood and are designed to complement your home and be a part of your furniture.
Dog crates vary in price, depending on the size and material used.
Top Rated Dog Crate, 6 Best Reviewed
1. Midwest iCrate Folding Metal Dog Crate
[Best For Growing Puppies]
The Midwest iCrate is an ideal choice for growing puppies, it features a divider panel that can be used when your puppy is small and removed as your puppy grows. This wire crate offers your pup plenty of ventilation and the ability to look out and see what’s going on.
This crate folds flat and features a carrying handle so you can easily take it with you for travel. The leak-proof plastic tray makes clean up a breeze if your pup has any accidents.
- Fold & Carry Design.
- Includes Divider Panel.
- It comes with a plastic leak-proof pan.
- Rubber roller feet to protect floors.
- Available in double or single door design.
- Rounded corners and safe and secure slide-bolt latch.
- 1-Year Warranty.
- Easy to set up.
- Affordable and very sturdy crate.
- Easy to clean.
- Will not scratch hard floors.
- No sharp edges for your pup to get scratched.
- The divider panel saves you from having to buy a larger crate as your puppy grows.
- The straight slide bar latch can easily become undone by a determined pup.
- The plastic tray does not stand up to power chewers.
- Wires are easily bent by destructive dogs.
2. Carlson Pet Products Single Door Metal Dog Crate
[Best For Small Dogs]
The Carlson Pet Products Crate is an ideal crate for small breeds, it is specially designed for dogs & puppies under 25 pounds. The single-door design with a slide-bolt lock keeps your small dog safe and secure.
This crate has a small price tag and is super lightweight and portable, making it ideal for travel.
- Single-door design.
- All steel construction, secure & durable.
- Easy set-up, no tools required.
- Folds flat for easy travel & storage.
- Includes removable & washable tray.
- 5 sizes available.
- Slide-bolt lock for security.
- Lightweight, easy to carry.
- 90-Day Warranty.
- Very well-made and sturdy.
- Single door design is great for small dogs.
- The crate does not rattle or make noise when your dog moves around.
- The wires are coated and there are no sharp edges.
- Easily folds flat if you need to store it or take it with you.
- No handle for carrying, however, the crate is very lightweight.
- No divider panel, only an issue if you intend to use this crate in a larger size.
3. Amazon Basics Single Door Folding Metal Dog Crate
[Best For Large Dogs]
The Amazon Basics Dog Crate is a great choice if you are looking for a functional and quality built dog crate. The name may say “Basic” but it is anything but, this crate is just as great as the more expensive wire crates on the market but at an affordable price.
- Single door design.
- 2 slide-bolt latches on the door to provide increased safety & security.
- Sturdy metal construction.
- Folds flat for easy storage & travel.
- Easy set-up, no tools required.
- Divider panel included, it is optional.
- The plastic tray is included.
- Rounded corners for safety.
- Available in 6 sizes.
- 1-Year Warranty.
- Single door design means there is less chance of escaping.
- Sturdy crate at an affordable price.
- The plastic tray is easy to clean.
- You can use the divider panel for growing puppies, saving you money on a bigger crate.
- Easy to set up, there are no tools needed.
- It is lightweight and folds easily for storage or travel.
- It does not have roller feet to protect your floors.
- Latches slide too easy, not ideal for escape artists.
- Wires bend, not ideal for destructive dogs.
4. EliteField 3-Door Folding Soft Dog Crate
[Best Soft-Sided Crate]
Soft-sided crates are ideal for travelling, they can easily fold up for storage and transport. A soft-sided crate is a great choice for a dog that remains calm in a crate and doesn’t chew or is destructive.
The EliteField Crate makes the list for best soft-sided crate because it comes fully assembled, it offers many carrying options and offers generous space for your dog. Your dog will be able to stand up comfortably without hitting the ceiling.
There is plenty of ventilation offered to your dog with 3 mesh doors. Your dog will be able to breathe fresh air, get enough sunlight, enjoy the view, and not feel trapped in a closed area.
- Fully assembled.
- Sets-up & folds down in seconds, no tools required.
- Strong steel tube frame.
- The cover is made of high quality durable 600D fabric, & hex mesh.
- Well ventilated.
- Stylish, lightweight & durable.
- 3 Mesh doors, top, front & side.
- 2 Accessory pockets, top & side.
- Removable & washable cover & bed.
- Free carrying bag & fleece bed included.
- Handle & hand carrying straps, & adjustable padded shoulder strap, allow for various carrying options.
- 3-inch height when folded allows for easy transport & storage.
- Available in 5 Sizes.
- Available in 13 Colors.
- 2-Year Warranty.
- 100% Money-Back Guarantee.
- Customer Satisfaction Guarantee.
- There is no assembly required.
- Can be easily washed if needed.
- Great customer service offered with this crate, and it has a 2-year warranty.
- Comfortable for your dog to be in and offers plenty of ventilation.
- Various colours to choose from.
- Well-made design and very durable.
- Not ideal for a puppy or dog that chews, as it is soft-sided.
- The mesh sides are easily ripped if your dog chews or scratches at them.
- Some reviewers have mentioned that the fleece bed is not the most comfortable.
5. ecoFLEX Pet Crate
[Best Fashion Crate]
A crate that is both functional and stylish. A fashion crate is best suited for calm or older dogs that are past the puppy stage and are not destructible. Fashion crates are ideal for you if you want a crate that is not an eye-sore and is a piece of furniture in your home.
The ecoFLEX Pet Crate is a great choice for you if you are looking for a crate that is both functional and stylish.
- Made of ecoFLEX, a non-toxic recycled plastic-wood polymer that will not warp, crack, or split.
- Doubles as an end table.
- Easy to clean, simply wipe with a damp cloth.
- Stainless steel latch secures the door.
- Multiple vents for 360-degree view and ventilation.
- Quick & easy assembly, no tools required.
- Stainless steel spindles.
- 1-Year Warranty.
- Available in 4 sizes.
- This crate looks like a beautiful piece of furniture in your home.
- It looks like wood, but it is made of non-toxic plastic that makes it very easy to clean.
- Great design that keeps your pup safe and secure.
- 4 sizes available that offer plenty of room even for dogs up to 100 Lbs.
- Great for dogs that are past the puppy stage, but still want the security of a crate.
- Not meant for destructive dogs.
- The stainless steel spindles are not solid, they are hollow.
- The spindles are easily chewed on and able to be bent by destructive dogs.
6. ProSelect Empire Dog Cage
[Best Heavy-Duty Crate]
Heavy-duty dog crates are best for dogs who are destructive and who are clever at escaping. If you have gone through a few wire crates because your dog has managed to destroy and bend the wires, or if you have come home to find your dog has somehow managed to escape out of his crate, then a heavy-duty crate is just what you need.
The ProSelect Empire Dog Cage makes the list for the best heavy-duty crate because it is able to stand up to any abuse given, and users of this crate love how their dog is unable to escape from it.
- Made with thick steel tube construction.
- 20-Gauge Steel Cage, extremely strong.
- Strong welds at stress points.
- Strong dual latches on the door.
- Single door entry.
- Grated floor with removable steel tray, makes for easy clean-up.
- It has 4 wheels (4-inches tall) that allow the crate to be easily moved to other locations.
- 2 of the wheels are locking wheels to keep the crate in place.
- Wheels can be removed for more stability.
- One of the world’s strongest & most escape-proof crates.
- Available in 2 sizes, Medium & Large.
- Hammertone finish stands up to plenty of abuse.
- Specially designed with destructive and escape artist dogs in mind, it is very durable and sturdy.
- The crate can be used with the wheels on or without. The wheels make it easy to move to another location, and they lock into place.
- Comes with a removable tray that can be cleaned easily.
- Excellent customer service.
- Keeps your dog safe and secure, your dog will not be able to escape.
- Heavy, that is why wheels are used to move the crate.
- Expensive, well worth the price if your dog has destroyed other crates.
- Some users have mentioned the latches slide easily, and their dog was able to escape.
- Some users mentioned design flaws with the welding, wheels fell off.
- It does require assembly.
This crate does require assembly, but users mention that this crate is easy to put together. The only tool needed is a hex-head screwdriver which is included.
While some users have mentioned their dog was still able to escape because the latches are easy to slide, they do recommend buying a lock to reinforce the latches.
Design flaws with the welding seem to be an issue with this crate, but users mention that they were able to contact customer service and get a replacement crate within 24 hours. This company has excellent customer service.
I hope this article has made choosing a top rated dog crate easier for you. Deciding on the best crate for your dog depends heavily on your dog’s life stage and behaviour.
For puppies, wire crates are the best option. They are easy to clean, lightweight, and they fold down for storage or travel.
If you have a dog that is known for escaping out of their crate or easily destroys it and you are worried about their safety, then a heavy-duty crate is an ideal choice.
Whichever crate you choose, it is important to get the proper size. Your dog should feel comfortable inside, not cramped.
Always introduce a crate to your pup slowly and make it a positive experience. Never use it as a punishment, or leave your dog in the crate for a long period.
Which top-rated dog crate will you choose for your dog? Do you have any experience with the crates mentioned above?
Share your thoughts and comments below. I would love to hear from you.
Latest posts by Jenny (see all)
- Christmas Gifts For Dog Moms [My 10 Favourites] - October 27, 2020
- How To Remove Skunk Smell On A Dog - September 28, 2020
- What Is The Best Shampoo For A Golden Retriever? [My 6 Top Picks] - September 11, 2020