Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link & purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
Welcome to my review of the best dog pool for large dogs. In this article, we’ll look at 6 of the best dog pools on the market today, that are durable, convenient and big enough to fit your large dog or two comfortably.
With the summer heat upon us, a dog pool can be a great accessory to add to your backyard. Your dog will have his own pool to lounge in, splash around and quickly cool off.
Most dogs love the water, but finding a dog-friendly beach or local water spot can be tricky and not always ideal. Also, not everyone has space or the budget for a full-size swimming pool. Therefore, a dog pool is an ideal solution to allow your dog to chill out and have some fun in his very own pool.
A dog pool can also be a great way for you to introduce your new puppy to the water.
Let’s get to the review shall we.
6 Best Dog Pools For Large Dogs
1. Jasonwell Foldable Dog Pool
[Best Overall Dog Pool]
The Jasonwell Foldable Dog Pool is the best dog pool overall for large dogs. It is available in 5 different sizes, the biggest size is XXL and measures 63″ in diameter and 12″ deep. Two adult Golden Retrievers could easily lay in this size pool together with room to spare.
This pool is so easy to transport and store because it is foldable, and the set-up is a breeze. Simply take it out of the box, give it a rinse, fill it and let your pup enjoy!
There are 2 drain caps located on opposite sides of the pool, one allows for fast draining and the other has a hose connector cap to allow slower draining. This makes emptying the pool simple and allows you to clean it and fill it with fresh water as needed. Unlike other pools, there is no need to tip it over in order to empty it.
One thing to make sure of is to set up this pool on a flat surface, preferably grass. This just allows your dog to have a softer surface and prevents any sharp objects from puncturing the bottom.
- Foldable & Portable.
- Durable & Slip Resistant; made of thick extra-tough PVC, sides are thick & the bottom is even thicker.
- Sides are made of thick high-density fiberboard.
- Wrapped edges to prevent punctures.
- Made of environmentally friendly material.
- 2 Drain plugs for easy drainage.
- Available in 5 sizes.
- The XXL size allows for plenty of room for 2 Labs or 2 Golden Retrievers to lay in or 1 very large dog.
- It folds flat for storage, or to take with you, it is lightweight.
- It is easy to set up, there is no inflation required.
- The material is durable and holds up well to dogs scratching. One owner mentioned her dog likes to scratch the bottom of the pool to get to the dog toys, and it has held up nicely.
- The drain caps make it easy to empty the pool to refresh it or to clean it.
- The non-skid bottom makes it safe for pets and kids.
- It does not leak or puncture.
- Takes a while to fully dry for storage.
- The hose connector will not fit a regular garden hose.
- When draining, about an inch of water remains in the pool. You need to tip the pool over to drain the remaining water.
- The biggest size is heavy and may require 2 people to tip it over to get the remaining water out.
- The sides cave in when the pool is not completely full.
2. Yerloa Foldable Dog Pool
[Best Durable Dog Pool Design]
The Yerloa Foldable Dog Pool comes in two sizes, 48″ diameter or 62″ diameter. Both sizes are 12″ deep. The 62″ is ideal for large dogs.
This pool is made of 100% PVC materials. It is durable and thick to resist scratches and bite marks. The thickest 6 mm heavyweight vinyl on the market is used. It features a non-slip bottom to make it safe for your dog and kids to enjoy.
One drain hole located on the side of the pool near the bottom allows for fast and easy drainage. The drain cover is well sealed, to prevent any leakage.
The Yerloa Dog Pool is easy to set up, no inflation is required and it folds flat for easy space-saving storage, or transport.
What sets this folding pool apart from others is the inner material used. Other folding pools use fiberboard, which makes the pool heavier, the Yerloa pool uses a high-density grid cloth middle layer, making it lightweight and durable.
Hard PVC-Hollow Bars are used to hold the pool together and give it its durability and prevent the sides from caving in. The entire pool is lightweight and durable.
- 12″ deep foldable dog pool.
- Made of 100% PVC materials; 6 mm heavyweight vinyl.
- Resists scratches, bite marks, and punctures.
- Lightweight folds flat for storage and transport.
- One drain hole near the bottom of the pool.
- Non-slip bottom.
- High-density grid cloth middle layer.
- Held together by PVC-Hollow Bars, for increased durability.
- Easy to assemble, it takes about 5 minutes to set up.
- This pool is durable thanks to the PVC bars that hold it together, this pool will not sag or cave in.
- The bottom is thick and holds up well to any scratching or sharp nails.
- It is lightweight and folds up easily for space-saving storage.
- Plenty of room for large dogs to lay in and splash around.
- No fiberboard is used.
- Not all of the water will drain out, about an inch or two remains in the pool and you need to tip it over to drain it.
- The PVC bars need to be removed in order for the pool to fold up for travel or storage. While the setup is still easy, this may be an issue for some.
3. Alvantor Dog Swimming Pool
[Best Lightweight Pop Up Dog Pool]
The Alvantor Dog Swimming Pool has a unique patent-pending design that no other pool on the market has. It instantly pops up and it is ready to be filled with water. There is no inflation required.
This pool is super lightweight, weighing only 7.5 pounds, it is much lighter than any other dog pool on the market. It folds flat, taking up much less space than other foldable dog pools.
Don’t let the lightweight design fool you, this dog pool is durable. It is made from 300 density ripstop oxford fabric with PVC backing. Featuring a durable layer construction and a strong spring steel frame to provide stability, prevent leaks and resist tearing.
Two sizes are available, the largest being 63″ in diameter and 12″ deep, which gives large dogs plenty of room to cool off in.
The pop-up steel frame allows this pool to keep its shape no matter how much water is inside, even when it’s empty it will not collapse or cave in.
There is no drain hole, to empty the pool you simply push down on the side of the pool and water drains out quickly and easily.
- Instant setup; spring steel frame instantly pops up.
- Durable & lightweight.
- Made of 300 density ripstop fabric & PVC.
- Folds flat for storage.
- Available in 2 sizes; 42″ & 63″, both 12″ deep.
- Retains its shape even when empty.
- Resists tears & leaks.
- Comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
- Made in the U.S.
- This pool is the easiest to set up compared to other folding dog pools, it just pops up.
- Takes up less space and weighs much less than other folding dog pools. You can easily take this pool anywhere.
- It keeps its shape even when empty, unlike other folding dog pools.
- The 63″ pool is the perfect size for large dogs.
- The material is thick and durable, and holds up well to dog nails and scratching.
- Drains easily.
- One owner mentioned it holds up well to her 145 LB Leonberger who likes to do zoomies in and out of the pool.
- The sides have a tendency to sag a bit when it is full of water, especially when it is on uneven ground.
- Folding it up for storage can be a bit tricky.
4. QPAU Sprinkle and Splash Pad For Dogs
[Best Splash Pad For Dogs]
The QPAU Splash Pad is a fun way for dogs to cool off in the summer heat. If you’ve got a dog that would rather splash around than go into a pool, then this splash pad is an ideal choice for you. It is actually more durable than it looks.
Made from heavy-duty PVC material, this splash pad holds up well to large dogs and dog nails. The material is 100% kid and dog-friendly. It is BPA-free, Lead-free, environmentally friendly and sturdy.
This sprinkle and splash pad measures 68″ in diameter, which gives your large dog or 2, plenty of room to cool off and have fun. To set it up, you simply place it on a flat surface, grass is recommended, hook it up to your garden hose and you’re good to go.
The outer wave-designed ring will inflate with water and will spray out of the tiny holes. You can adjust the water pressure on your hose to have the water spray at different heights. Low-water pressure will spray the water about 15-30 centimetres high.
Water sprays towards the inside of the pad, creating a splash pad or shallow pool.
- 68″ diameter sprinkle and splash pad.
- Inflates with water.
- Water sprays from the holes in the outer ring.
- Includes a water pipe connector to connect to a garden hose.
- Made from heavy-duty PVC material.
- Kid & dog-friendly material; BPA-free & Lead-free.
- The height of the water spray can be adjusted by water pressure.
- Comes with a 2-Year Warranty.
- Provides a fun way for dogs to cool off, especially if they don’t like regular dog pools.
- The material is more durable than it looks. It holds up well to large dogs running around and pawing at the splash pad.
- One owner mentioned she has 2 Great Danes and a Lab and when the water pressure is turned up, the spray reaches over their head.
- The spray can be adjusted to spray high or low depending on how you adjust the water pressure.
- It is easy to set up and take down.
- Great value.
- You have to keep the water running in order for the pad to remain inflated. When the water is shut off, it takes about 20 minutes to deflate.
- Can be a bit slippery.
- It traps and stores water on the inside, you really need to squeeze all the water out and let it air dry to prevent any mildew.
5. Funyole Foldable Dog Pool With Cover
[Best Dog Pool With Cover]
The Funyole Dog Pool is another folding dog pool, however, this one comes with a pool cover to keep dirt out of the pool when not in use.
This folding dog pool is ideal for large dogs, there are 2 sizes to choose from, 48″ or 63″ in diameter. Both sizes are 12″ deep, the 63″ size would fit 2 large-sized dogs easily, allowing plenty of room for them to lay in and cool off.
Featuring a thicker fiberboard middle layer (0.55cm), and extra tough PVC material, this pool is durable and resists scratching, puncture marks and sagging.
The non-slip bottom makes this pool safe for your dog and gives him some grip to prevent any slipping. There is one drainage hole located on the bottom side of the pool, to allow for quick and easy drainage.
- Foldable & Portable dog pool.
- Includes a pool cover to keep the pool clean.
- Available in 2 sizes; 48″ & 63″ diameter and 12″ deep.
- Thick 0.55cm fiberboard middle layer.
- Durable, anti-scratch PVC material.
- Non-slip bottom.
- One drain hole with a hose adapter valve.
- Marked Fill-line to show the maximum water level.
- The pool cover is a nice bonus to keep the water and pool clean when not in use.
- It folds up easily and saves space when you want to store it, or take it with you when travelling.
- Material is thick and durable and holds up well to scratching and dog nails.
- It is deep and offers plenty of room for large dogs.
- As with other folding pools, it leaves about an inch or two of water remaining in the pool after draining. Therefore you need to tip it over to get all the water out.
- One owner mentioned the pool cover seems loose and could possibly fly off in the wind.
- The hose adapter valve is included, however, it does not fit a standard garden hose. This is only an issue if you wish to fill it or drain it using the adapter.
6. Intex Snapset Dog Pool
[Best Dog Pool For Water Capacity and Size]
The Intex Snapset Pool with its ocean reef design is actually intended for kids, but because of its large size and water capacity, large dogs will have more than enough room to cool off.
This pool is the largest one on our list, it measures 8 feet in diameter and has a water depth of 17.5 inches. If a pool party for dogs is what you are after, this pool is an ideal choice!
Set up is fast and easy. Simply unfold the pool, pull up the sidewall from the centre and fill it with water. There is no inflation required!
When completely filled, this pool holds 565 gallons and can be drained by pushing in the sidewall. Skimming the pool is also an option.
The sides of the pool are made from PVC and the bottom is made of sturdy vinyl. Dog owners using this pool for their dogs recommend placing it on a hard surface, in order to prevent your dog’s nails from puncturing a hole. This pool holds up very well to dog nails as well as pawing and scratching.
It folds flat for easy space saving storage, and you can easily take it with you if you travel. A repair patch is included.
- Easy to set up.
- Measures 8 feet in diameter.
- The water depth is 17.5 inches.
- Holds 565 gallons.
- Made of PVC & sturdy Vinyl.
- Folds down for storage.
- Drains by pushing in on the sidewall.
- Larger size pool with a great price point if you don’t want to invest in a full-size above-ground pool.
- One owner mentioned she has used it 2 years in a row for her dog and it has held up to her dog jumping in and out of it.
- Many people are impressed with how big this pool is, saying it is bigger than they expected.
- It is surprisingly durable, even when intended for dogs.
- It is easy to set up and can be stored easily when not in use.
- Takes a while to fill, about 30 minutes to an hour.
- There is no drain hole.
- Requires 2 people to set up. You need to smooth out the bottom and hold the sides up until it fills.
- The walls are held up by water, and if it is not set up on an even surface, the sides can cave in.
- The bottom of the pool is not as durable as other pools intended for dogs. It is important to keep your dog’s nails trimmed.
How To Choose The Best Dog Pool For Your Large Dog
Although dog pools are certainly cheaper than a full-size regular swimming pool, you still want to make sure you’re getting the most bang for your buck!
Here are some things to take into consideration:
Material & Durability
Most dog pools are made using PVC and Vinyl. These materials are thick and tough and are able to withstand your dog scratching and digging at the sides or bottom of the pool. The material is also flexible, which is why most folding dog pools use it.
Size & Water Capacity
Large dogs need more space, it’s that simple! When choosing a dog pool for large dogs, you want to consider its diameter and how much water it can hold.
All of the pools listed above are ideal for large dogs, as they measure 63″ in diameter and most are 12″ deep. This size allows large dogs plenty of room to lay and cool off. Some of the pools even allow for 2 dogs to comfortably cool off.
Ease Of Use
You’ll want to consider how easy it is for your dog to get in and out of the pool. Most large dogs can easily step in and out of a dog pool without any issues. The sides of dog pools are usually not too high to be a problem. Height only becomes an issue if the dog pool will also be used by a small dog, or if you have a full-size swimming pool. In both cases, ramps or stairs can be considered.
Take into consideration how easy the pool is to set up and takedown. Also, how much space the pool will take up in your backyard as well as in storage. The dog pools listed above are easy to set up and they are foldable which means they take up very little storage space.
When it comes to draining the pool, some have a drain plug near the bottom to make it easy to empty. The pools listed without a drain plug require just a push on the sidewall to drain.
Pools designed for dogs are intended to be safe. They are built with tough materials that resist scratches and punctures, and they have non-slip textures on the bottom of the pool to allow for extra grip.
Many are made using dog and kid-friendly materials, meaning they are BPA and Lead-free.
Your dog certainly won’t care about the way the pool looks, but you might. Dog pools come in a variety of shapes, styles and colours. If looks are a concern to you, you can choose a dog pool that best suits your style. Just keep in mind the other factors mentioned above as well.
Best Dog Pool For Large Dogs: FAQ’s
How Do Dog Pools Differ From Kiddie Pools?
Dog pools are designed to be tougher and more durable than kiddie pools. They are usually made of super-strong PVC material that will hold up to your dog’s nails and scratching. The thicker material is designed not to puncture (or puncture easily)from the use of your dog.
Kiddie pools are usually made of hard plastic, which can pose a safety risk to your dog. If your dog chews the sides, hard plastic pieces could be ingested.
Are Inflatable Pools Good For Dogs?
Inflatable pools are usually not the best option for dogs, especially the traditional inflatable kiddie pools. Inflatable pools can easily be punctured from your dog’s nails, and if your dog likes to chew, they can easily be destroyed.
That being said, there are some durable inflatable pools that are designed for dogs. The QPAU Sprinkle and Splash Pad for dogs that I have listed above is made of heavy-duty PVC material.
How Will A Dog Pool Benefit My Large Dog?
Dog pools have many benefits including:
- Provides relief from the hot summer temperatures.
- Playing in the water provides fun and excitement and can be mentally stimulating.
- A dog pool can be a place where you bathe your dog, instead of inside.
- Can be used to introduce your puppy or dog to the water.
Don’t forget to add some water toys to your dog’s pool for even more fun!
What Is The Best Dog Pool For Large Dogs? My Top Pick
The Jasonwell Foldable Dog Pool is my top pick as the best dog pool for large dogs. I chose this pool as the winner because of its durability, ease of use, size and convenience.
I like that it is made of super-strong PVC that will be able to handle any pawing or scratching. The middle features high-density fiberboard which keeps the pool strong and in shape, and the bottom material is thicker and slip-resistant.
Not only is this pool safe for my dog, but the setup and take-down are easy. The 2 drain holes make it easy and fast to drain, and it folds up to save space for storage.
A dog pool is a great way to keep your dog cool outside, but if you’re looking for a way to keep your dog cool while inside, how about a cooling dog bed? Be sure to check out my review on the best cooling dog beds.
Have you tried any of the dog pools listed above? Share your thoughts and comments below, I would love to hear from you.
Latest posts by Jenny (see all)
- 8 Amazing Canine Water Toys Your Dog Will Love - July 6, 2021
- Best Dog Pool For Large Dogs [6 Best Reviewed] - June 22, 2021
- Golden Retriever vs Goldendoodle – Pros and Cons of Each - June 11, 2021