Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
Becoming a new puppy parent is exciting, and can be overwhelming at times. You find yourself being faced with many new challenges, one of which is puppy teething. Your cute and adorable puppy suddenly starts to nip and bite you with razor sharp teeth, and chews on everything in sight, including your furniture and expensive leather shoes. You need to find appropriate toys for your puppy to chew on, but with so many to choose from how do you decide what the best teething toys for puppies are?
Well, you have come to the right place, because I have listed some of the best toys that will help to ease the pain of your teething puppy.
When Do Puppies Start Teething?
All puppies go through a teething phase, just like human babies do, and it is a painful process for your puppy and can be a stressful time for yourself. Puppies will have sore gums and teeth, and will seek out any items to chew on, and they won’t be picky about it.
Every new puppy owner has experienced their puppy chewing on something in their house, and it is usually something expensive.
Puppies are born without teeth, and their baby teeth start to grow in as early as 2 weeks old. By the time a puppy reaches 5-6 weeks old, all of their baby teeth are grown in. Puppies have a total of 28 baby teeth, and at the age of 3-4 months those baby teeth begin to fall out to make room for their 42 adult teeth.
Most people will get their puppy from a breeder at the age of 8 weeks, and at this age all the baby teeth are in. At 4 months old puppies will enter their most active chewing phase, when they start to lose their baby teeth. This is when teething is the worst, and this phase usually lasts for 2 months.
During your puppy’s teething phase, you will notice tiny teeth laying on the floor, and your puppy’s toys might have blood on them, and your puppy will be drooling more because of the gaps from missing teeth. This is completely normal, and sometimes your puppy will swallow some teeth too, which is also normal, so if you don’t happen to find any teeth laying on the floor don’t worry.
When your puppy reaches the age of 6-7 months, all the baby teeth will be out and the adult teeth should have grown in nicely.
How To Help Your Puppy Survive The Teething Phase
In order to help your puppy through this painful period, you will want to provide appropriate toys for your puppy to chew on. Having a good variety of chew toys will keep your pup away from your expensive shoes and furniture.
The best teething toys will be soft enough for your pup to chew, but will be durable enough to last for a long time. Teething toys for puppies are designed to be softer and more gentle on their sensitive gums compared to adult toys.
It is also a good idea to try out different shapes and textures, puppies quickly become bored with the same toy, and that means they will turn to chewing something else of interest like your furniture.
The toys you choose for your puppy should be sized appropriately. A toy for a small breed puppy could become a choking hazard for a large breed puppy like a Great Dane.
Some teething toys are flavored, and some toys can be stuffed with your pup’s favorite treats. Chewing on something that tastes good will keep your pup entertained for hours.
To help soothe your pup’s sore gums and teeth, try popping your puppy’s favorite toy in the freezer. A cold toy to chew on will help to relieve the pain of inflamed gums.
My 6 Top Picks For A Teething Puppy
The following is a list of some of the best and favorite toys for teething puppies.
1. KONG Classic Puppy Toy
KONG has been making high quality and durable toys for dogs and puppies for over 40 years. KONG is a leader in the industry, and dogs from all over the world love KONG products, and they come highly recommended by veterinary professionals.
The KONG Puppy is made of soft rubber, specially customized for puppies teeth and gums. It is the most gentle of the KONG rubber toys, and is softer than the adult ones.
This toy is ideal for chewing, and it can be stuffed with treats, like peanut butter. For an extra soothing treat, you can pop it in the freezer, and your pup will have hours of fun.
This toy is durable, and offers plenty of versatility. Your pup can chew on it, it can be stuffed with treats, and it has an unpredictable bounce that will keep your pup guessing where it will land. It makes for a fun game of fetch.
- Made of soft natural rubber, gentle on puppy teeth and gums
- Hollow center is great for stuffing with treats, and freezing
- Unpredictable bounce, perfect for playing fetch
- Teaches appropriate chewing behavior
- Great for crate training, offers hours of fun
- Made in USA
- Available in Pink and Blue
- Available in 4 sizes, XS, S, M, L
- When this toy is not stuffed with treats, your puppy may get bored with it, because it makes no sound, and cannot be ripped apart easily. Puppies love toys that they can rip apart, but toys like that are not safe for them or good for your wallet. Make sure to rotate your puppy’s toys to prevent boredom.
2. Nylabone Just For Puppies Key Ring Bone
Nylabone has been making chew toys for dogs since 1955. Their chew toys are extremely popular among dogs and puppies of all chewing stages.
This puppy key ring toy is made with soft puppy friendly material, that will satisfy the chewing needs of teething puppies. This key ring comes in a delicious bacon flavor that pups love.
This is a fun toy that puppies can chew on safely. It is practically indestructible, and helps to clean puppies teeth.
- Soft and gentle for puppies teeth and gums
- Durable, and practically indestructible
- Satisfies teething pups
- Bacon flavored, to add to the chewing experience
- Bright colors and fun shapes and textures to keep your pup entertained
- Moving parts that make a noise when shaken or rattled, toys that make a sound are more fun for your pup
- Has raised bristles that help clean teeth and prevent tartar build-up.
- Can be used for throwing and games of fetch
- Made in USA
- This toy cannot be ripped apart, again that is a good thing, but your pup may get bored, so you need to rotate toys
- Close supervision is a must with this toy
- Only meant for puppies who are teething, not to be given to older puppies with adult teeth, as they can chew off large pieces.
Note that this toy is bacon flavored, but it is not edible. When this toy shows signs of wear, it needs to be replaced.
3. Hound Games Doggy Playmat
This play mat is an adorable 2 in 1 toy that is designed for teething puppies. Your puppy can take a nap on this soft and comfortable sleeping pad that is made from Eco friendly materials.
Perfect for using in a crate or for in the car. There are multiple toys on this play mat, including durable chew rings, ropes, and a squeaker, your pup will be entertained and stimulated for hours.
If your puppy doesn’t love it, simply return it within 30 days for a full refund.
- 2 in 1 play mat and teething toy, your puppy can take naps on it, and can play with the multiple toys
- Made of ultra durable Eco friendly materials
- Machine washable, simply remove the soft foam insert
- Has a hidden zipper
- Can be used in a crate, or for traveling in the car
- 20″ x 20″ in size, perfect for puppies and small dogs
- Multiple toys are ideal for teething pups, includes dental chew rings with massaging nubs to soothe sore teeth and gums, teething ropes, and a squeaker to keep your pup stimulated
- 30-day 100% money back guarantee
- Not meant for aggressive chewers
- Some owners of this mat have mentioned that it resembles a training pad, and their puppies have peed on it
- The soft foam insert becomes dangerous when puppies chew on it and swallow it
- Close supervision is needed with this toy
Overall, the idea of this play mat is really genius, and it is cute and adorable, but as with any toy this play mat needs to be used under close supervision. It is not ideal for aggressive chewers, but meant for teething pups who will be able to soothe their pain while chewing on the attached dental toys.
4. Puppy Chew Teething Rope Toys Set by Alvi & Remi
Rope toys are perfect for teething pups, they love to chew on the knotted rope to relieve their painful teeth and gums. Rope toys are great for playing fetch with too, and you can soak them in water and freeze them for an extra soothing relief for your pup.
Chewing on rope toys is very beneficial to your pups dental health, the rope fibers help floss and clean the teeth, and reduce plaque build up.
This set of rope toys includes 3 ropes and one rope ball, a nice variety to keep your pup from getting bored. These rope toys are completely safe for your pup to chew on, they are made from 100% natural cotton and do not contain any plastic.
- Set includes 4 durable rope toys, 3 ropes ranging from 7″ to 9.5″ long, and 1 rope ball 2″ in diameter
- Made of 100% cotton, safe for your puppy to chew on
- Great for teething puppies, and small and medium-sized dogs
- Cleans teeth, massages gums, and reduces plaque build up
- Perfect for chewing, tossing, and fetching
- Different sizes and textures to keep your pup interested
- Can be soaked in water and frozen to help relieve teething pain
- Not meant for aggressive chewers
- Unable to pick the colors, they are sent at random, but they are bright and beautiful
It can be very enticing to engage in a game of tug-of-war with your puppy, but you should hold off until your puppy is older and has his adult teeth in. Playing tug-of-war with your puppy while he is teething can affect the growth of his teeth.
5. KONG Floppy Knots Fox
Having a variety of textures and shapes for your puppy to chew on will help keep your pup from getting bored and chew on something that he shouldn’t.
Most puppies love to have something soft to chew on, it makes them feel like they are biting down on their prey. This toy from KONG has a soft cuddly exterior, with an internal rope skeleton, to satisfy chewing.
The floppy design of this toy has minimal stuffing, which means your pup can shake this toy and tug and chew at it. This toy squeaks too which will keep your pup interested.
- Soft and floppy design, perfect for gentle chewers
- Various textures, with internal knotted rope, and squeakers
- 2 sizes available, small/medium, and medium/large
- Large size has multiple squeakers, small size has one squeaker
- Minimal stuffing, means less mess
- Other animals to choose from include: Bunny, Elephant, and Hippo
- Machine washable
- Not meant for aggressive chewers
6. Chuckit! Ultra Ball
Puppies love to play with bouncy balls, and this ball from Chuckit! bounces high, and is extremely durable. This bright orange and blue colored ball can easily be seen from a distance, and it even floats, so you can take your game of fetch to the water.
This ball is perfect for puppies to chew on, it is made of natural rubber, and unlike tennis balls with felt that can wear down teeth, this ball is safe to chew on, and is practically indestructible.
This ball is designed to be compatible with the Chuckit! Dog Ball Launcher, which is sold separately. Using this ball with the launcher will save your arm from getting tired from all that throwing, but even without the launcher this ball can be thrown at a great distance because it is lightweight, and it bounces extremely high no matter the surface type.
- Made from natural high-bounce rubber
- Extremely durable and long-lasting, perfect for chewing, and can withstand the toughest chewers
- Lightweight, and it floats, ideal for playing in the water
- Bright high visible color, makes it easy to spot in tall grass, or at a distance
- Smooth rubber is easy to clean, resists mess, and dog slobber can be washed off
- Available in 5 sizes
- Compatible with the Chuckit! Dog Ball Launcher (Sold Separately)
- Perfect for games of fetch
- Overtime the rubber can start to wear and rip off, and it can become dangerous if your dog swallows pieces of it.
- There have been mentions of possible knockoffs of this ball, and the quality is not the same, be sure to purchase a genuine Chuckit! ball from a trusted store.
The Chuckit! Ultra Ball is one of the most durable options on this list, and one thing to note is that with 5 sizes available you need to make sure to select the proper size for your puppy.
When your puppy gets older, and is no longer in the teething phase, you can introduce adult toys that are tougher and stronger, and if you have an aggressive chewer you can check out my list of tough chew toys.
When your puppy enters the teething phase it can be a stressful time for both you and your puppy, but your expensive household items don’t need to suffer. If you invest in some of the best teething toys for puppies that I have mentioned above, your puppy will be chewing on appropriate items that will help ease the pain.
To keep your puppy interested in chewing on appropriate toys, it is best to have a good selection and to rotate the toys frequently. Have a few different shapes and textures, and remember to freeze and stuff toys with your pup’s favorite treats to keep their interest high.
Always keep your pup’s safety in mind, and choose appropriate sized toys, and toys that are meant for puppies. Puppy toys are designed to be softer and more gentle on teeth and gums than adult toys. When getting rope toys, it is important to refrain from playing tug-of-war until your pup has grown his adult teeth.
Supervision is important with any toy, and when a toy shows any sign of damage you should always remove it.
By providing your puppy with a great selection of teething toys, your puppy will be chewing happily, and your precious household items will be intact, and you will soon realize that this phase of puppyhood is almost over and you and your puppy survived it.
How About You?
Has your puppy tried any of the above toys? Maybe you have a favorite toy that is not mentioned, or you would like to share your puppy’s teething experience. Please leave a comment below, I would love to hear from you.