Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link & purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
[UPDATED July 2021]
Two things come to mind when you think of puppies, they’re cute and they chew! Your puppy will chew on everything, including you and your expensive leather boots! Chewing goes into overdrive, especially during the teething phase. That is why you need to have plenty of teething toys on hand to redirect your puppy’s chewing, and to save your couch. Here are the 6 best teething toys for puppies you need to get now.
But first, let’s look at when the teething phase starts, and more importantly when it ends, so you can be prepared.
When Do Puppies Start Teething?
All puppies go through a teething phase, just like human babies do, and it is a painful process for your puppy and can be a stressful time for yourself. Puppies will have sore gums and teeth and will seek out any items to chew on, and they won’t be picky about it.
Every new puppy owner has experienced their puppy chewing on something in their house, and it is usually something expensive.
Puppies are born without teeth, and their baby teeth start to grow as early as 2 weeks old. By the time a puppy reaches 5-6 weeks old, all of its baby teeth are grown in. Puppies have a total of 28 baby teeth, and at the age of 3-4 months, those baby teeth begin to fall out to make room for their 42 adult teeth.
Most people will get their puppy from a breeder at the age of 8 weeks, and at this age, all the baby teeth are in. At 4 months old puppies will enter their most active chewing phase when they start to lose their baby teeth. This is when teething is the worst, and this phase usually lasts for 2 months.
During your puppy’s teething phase, you’ll likely notice tiny teeth on the floor, blood on your puppy’s toys, and drool coming from your puppy’s mouth from the gaps of missing teeth. Sometimes your puppy will swallow some teeth too. All of this is normal during the teething phase.
When your puppy reaches the age of 6-7 months, all the baby teeth will be out and the adult teeth should have grown in nicely.
How To Help Your Puppy Survive The Teething Phase
Provide Appropriate Toys
In order to help your puppy through this painful period, you will want to provide appropriate toys for your puppy to chew on. Having a good variety of chew toys will keep your pup away from your expensive shoes and furniture.
Choose Toys Especially For Puppies
The best teething toys will be soft enough for your pup to chew but will be durable enough to last for a long time. Teething toys for puppies are designed to be softer and more gentle on their sensitive gums compared to adult toys.
Consider Different Shapes & Textures
It is also a good idea to try out different shapes and textures. Puppies quickly become bored with the same toy, and that means they will turn to chew something else of interest like your furniture.
Choose The Right Size
The toys you choose for your puppy should be sized appropriately. A toy for a small breed puppy could become a choking hazard for a large breed puppy like a Great Dane.
Consider Flavoured Toys
Some teething toys are flavoured, and some toys can be stuffed with your pup’s favourite treats. Chewing on something that tastes good will keep your pup entertained for hours.
Freeze Your Pup’s Favourite Toy
To help soothe your pup’s sore gums and teeth, try popping your puppy’s favourite toy in the freezer. A cold toy to chew on will help to relieve the pain of inflamed gums.
6 Best Teething Toys For Puppies
The following is a list of some of the best and favourite toys for teething puppies.
1. KONG Puppy Teething Toy 2 Pack
KONG is well-known for making high-quality and durable toys for dogs and puppies. KONG products are loved by dogs all over the world and are highly recommended by veterinary professionals.
The KONG Puppy Teething Toy is made of soft rubber, specially customized for puppies’ teeth and gums. It is the most gentle of the KONG rubber toys and is softer than the adult ones.
This toy is ideal for chewing and can be stuffed with treats, like peanut butter. For an extra soothing treat, you can pop it in the freezer, and your pup will have hours of fun.
Not only is this toy durable with plenty of versatility, but it is fun for your pup to play with too. It has an unpredictable bounce that keeps your puppy guessing where it will land, making a game of fetch even more fun.
- Pack of 2 teething toys; 1 pink & 1 blue.
- Small size, suitable for puppies up to 20 pounds.
- Made of soft natural rubber.
- Hollow centre for stuffing with treats.
- Safe and gentle for your puppy.
- Made in the USA.
- The KONG Puppy toy is completely safe for your puppy to chew on.
- It can be used for chewing, stuffing with treats or for games of fetch.
- Very durable and lasts a really long time.
- Keeps your puppy entertained for hours if you stuff it with treats.
- A great toy for teething puppies, it gives them something to chew and if you freeze it, it soothes their teeth and gums.
- This toy can be boring to some puppies, especially when it is not stuffed with treats.
2. Nylabone Dental Dinosaur Puppy Teething Toy
Nylabone has been making chew toys for dogs since 1955. Their chew toys are extremely popular among dogs and puppies of all chewing stages.
The Nylabone Dental Dinosaur is a chew toy that your pup will find irresistible thanks to its delicious chicken flavour. This cute T-Rex-shaped chew toy is soft and gentle as well as flexible. It features raised nubs to help clean and massage your puppy’s teeth and gums.
This is a fun toy that your puppy can chew on safely, under supervision of course, and it will keep your pup busy for hours.
- Chicken flavoured chew toy.
- Fun Dinosaur shape.
- Raised massaging nubs to soothe & clean teeth & gums.
- Soft & flexible, gentle for puppy teeth.
- Measures 4.63″ long x 1.25″ wide x 1.13″ high.
- Ideal for puppies up to 25 Lbs.
- It is chicken flavoured which makes it even more enticing for your pup to chew on.
- The raised nubs help to keep your puppy’s teeth clean and acts like a massage to soothe your pup’s teeth and gums.
- The dinosaur shape is cute and fun, and puppies love it.
- It holds up really well and lasts a long time.
- It is soft and flexible which makes it easy to grab and carry around.
- Can be placed in the freezer as a soothing chew toy.
- Most Nylabone products are made in the USA, but a few are made in China. Products made overseas must adhere to Nylabone’s strict quality control standards.
- Close supervision is a must with this toy.
- Only meant for puppies who are teething, not to be given to older puppies with adult teeth, as they can chew off large pieces.
Note that this toy is chicken flavoured, but it is not edible. When this toy shows signs of wear, it needs to be replaced.
3. 4 Piece Rope Toy Set For Teething Puppies
This rope toy set by GOGOPets features 4 durable rope toys that are ideal for your teething puppy. Each rope toy is made of 100% natural cotton, they are safe and non-toxic.
The rope is durable and strong with a thick smooth surface. There are endless opportunities to keep your puppy interested and having fun with this variety pack. Use them for games of fetch, tug-of-war, redirecting puppy biting, for teething pain, and to prevent boredom.
A small portion of each sale of GOGOPets toys will be donated to Pet Rescue Programs. You can feel good knowing that your purchase has helped a rescue dog in some way.
Rope toys are a great way to help clean your puppy’s teeth and to promote good oral hygiene, as well as keep your pup from chewing on your furniture.
- Set of 4 rope toys.
- Made of 100% cotton.
- Safe & non-toxic.
- Small portion of proceeds donated to Pet Rescues.
- Rope toy measurements are 7cm, 29cm, 33cm, and 37cm.
- Durable & strong.
- Great value pack of 4 rope toys that are versatile for chewing, tossing, tug-of-war, or games of fetch.
- Satisfies your puppy’s need to chew.
- Helps clean your puppy’s teeth and promote good oral hygiene.
- Promotes strong teeth and gums.
- Prevents your puppy from becoming bored.
- They hold up well to puppy teeth and last a long time.
- These rope toys are not indestructible, some puppies were able to destroy them.
- It doesn’t say where these toys are made.
4. KONG Puppy Goodie Bone
The KONG Puppy Goodie Bone is made of soft natural teething rubber which is ideal for your puppy’s growing teeth. It satisfies your pup’s urge to chew while being soft and gentle on teeth and gums.
The bone shape of this toy is enticing to puppies, but for even more chewing satisfaction, the ends can be stuffed with your puppy’s favourite treats. The ends of this bone feature patented Goodie Gripper holes to hold treats in place. This will keep your pup entertained and busy for hours.
KONG products are made in the USA, and this Goodie Bone is made of natural soothing rubber. It is available in pink or blue and is intended for small puppies up to 35 pounds.
- Made of soft natural rubber.
- Made in the USA.
- For small puppies up to 35lbs (16kg).
- Intended for puppies up to 9 months in age.
- Hollow ends with gripper holes, can be stuffed with treats.
- Available in pink or blue.
- Soothes gums and teeth.
- Can be stuffed with treats for added fun.
- Made of soft natural rubber that is safe and gentle for puppies.
- Teaches your puppy appropriate chewing behaviour.
- Can be frozen for soothing chewing relief.
- Durable and well-made in the USA.
- KONG satisfaction guaranteed.
- You cannot choose the colour you want.
- Some puppies are not interested in this toy, especially when it isn’t stuffed with treats.
- Has a strong rubber smell.
5. HuggleHounds Original Knotties
The HuggleHounds Original Knotties is a great choice for your teething puppy, as it offers a variety of textures to satisfy your pup’s chewing habit. Shown above is Dottie the Cow, who is super cute and adorable.
HuggleHounds Knotties are not your average plush toy, they are the most durable plush toys available for puppies and dogs. These toys will certainly put up a fight and stand up to the toughest chewers, that is why they are ideal for puppies as well as aggressive chewers.
All HuggleHounds Knotties are made with exclusive Tuffut Technology. This is a durable 2-layer lining on the inside that withstands endless amounts of pulling and tugging. The 3rd outer layer is soft and cuddly corduroy plush which is gentle on your pup’s mouth.
Your puppy’s natural chewing instincts will be satisfied by the soft plush as well as the knotted limbs. The floppy design of this toy makes it great for tugging, shaking and chewing.
If your puppy is not into cows, there are several other cute animals to choose from. Available in small or large, each HuggleHounds Original Knotties feature 5 squeakers to entice your pup even more.
- Extra durable plush toy with Tuffut Technology 2-layer inner lining.
- Soft & cuddly corduroy outer lining.
- Knotted limbs to satisfy chewing.
- Available in small or large.
- Both sizes feature 5 squeakers.
- Intended for puppies & aggressive chewers.
- This toy offers your puppy a variety of textures to chew on; soft durable plush and knotted limbs.
- Very durable, designed especially for puppies and aggressive chewers.
- A fun toy that puppies love to chew on, fetch, and cuddle with.
- It has 5 squeakers to keep your puppy interested.
- Can be machine washed.
- Lasts a really long time, and is a favourite among dogs and puppies.
- Several cute animals to choose from.
- Some of the animals feature hair, such as the tail of the cow. The hair is usually the first thing that gets chewed off.
- Designed in the USA, but manufactured in China or India.
6. Chuckit! Ultra Ball 2-Pack
The Chuckit! Ultra Ball is a great value as you get 2 Ultra Balls. Chuckit! is a well-known brand that is extremely popular with dog owners because their toys are durable and last a really long time.
The Ultra Ball has an ultra-high bounce, which makes it great for games of fetch. This rubber ball is tough and durable with a texturized surface and a thick rubber core. It is ideal for teething puppies as well as aggressive chewers who need to satisfy their urge to chew.
Unlike tennis balls with felt that can wear your pup’s teeth down, the Chuckit! Ultra Ball is made of natural rubber. This ball is safe and gentle on your puppy’s mouth, and is practically indestructible!
This ball is designed to be compatible with the Chuckit! Dog Ball Launcher, which is sold separately. Using this ball with the launcher will save your arm from getting tired from all that throwing. But even without the launcher, this ball can be thrown at a great distance because it is lightweight, and it bounces extremely high no matter the surface type.
- Pack of 2 Ultra Balls.
- Made of soft natural rubber.
- Safe & non-toxic.
- Durable for long-term use.
- Ultra-high bounce.
- Lightweight, floats on the water too.
- High visibility because of its bright colour.
- Compatible with Chuckit! Launchers.
- Available in Small 2″ balls or Medium 2.5″ balls.
- Dirt & slobber resistant, easy to wipe clean.
- A fun and versatile toy that can be tossed, fetched and chewed on. It floats too, so it is great for water play.
- It is safe and gentle on your puppy’s mouth, and it will withstand the heaviest chew sessions.
- Tons of dog owners are happy with this Chuckit! ball, because it is pretty much indestructible.
- It has a high-impact bounce, dogs love it.
- Super lightweight, which makes it easy to throw farther. If you pair it with the compatible Launcher, it can be thrown farther, giving your arm a break.
- The texturized grip makes it easy for your pup to grab.
- Over time the rubber can start to wear and rip off, and it can become dangerous if your dog swallows pieces of it.
- There have been mentions of possible knockoffs of this ball, and the quality is not the same, be sure to purchase a genuine Chuckit! ball from a trusted store.
The Chuckit! Ultra Ball is one of the most durable options on this list, and one thing to note is that with the different sizes available you need to make sure to select the proper size for your puppy.
When your puppy gets older and is no longer in the teething phase, you can introduce adult toys that are tougher and stronger, and if you have an aggressive chewer you can check out my list of tough chew toys.
When your puppy enters the teething phase it can be a stressful time for both of you, but your expensive household items don’t need to suffer. If you invest in some of the best teething toys for puppies that I have mentioned above, your puppy will be chewing on appropriate items that will help ease the pain.
To keep your puppy interested in chewing on appropriate toys, it is best to have a good selection and to rotate the toys frequently. Have a few different shapes and textures, and remember to freeze and stuff toys with your pup’s favourite treats to keep their interest high.
By providing your puppy with a great selection of teething toys, your pup will be chewing happily, and your precious household items will be intact. Soon you’ll realize that this phase of puppyhood is almost over and you and your puppy survived it.
Has your puppy tried any of the teething toys mentioned above? Does your puppy have a favourite teething toy? Share your thoughts and comments below. I would love to hear from you.
Latest posts by Jenny (see all)
- Why Dog Parks Are Bad [10 Reasons & Where To Go Instead] - October 22, 2021
- Waterproof Blankets For Dogs [7 Best Reviewed] - October 13, 2021
- Adopting A Senior Golden Retriever [10 Amazing Reasons To Consider] - September 21, 2021