Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
[Updated November 2020]
Puppies are cute and adorable, right? Yes of course! But the not so cute part of puppies is puppy teething! You know what I’m talking about, those razor-sharp teeth that nip and bite you along with everything in sight, including your furniture and expensive leather boots!
Your puppy needs appropriate toys to chew on, not your leather couch! Find out in this article what the best teething toys for puppies are, and how to help your puppy (and you) survive the teething phase.
But first, let’s look at when the teething phase starts, so you can be prepared.
When Do Puppies Start Teething?
All puppies go through a teething phase, just like human babies do, and it is a painful process for your puppy and can be a stressful time for yourself. Puppies will have sore gums and teeth and will seek out any items to chew on, and they won’t be picky about it.
Every new puppy owner has experienced their puppy chewing on something in their house, and it is usually something expensive.
Puppies are born without teeth, and their baby teeth start to grow as early as 2 weeks old. By the time a puppy reaches 5-6 weeks old, all of their baby teeth are grown in. Puppies have a total of 28 baby teeth, and at the age of 3-4 months, those baby teeth begin to fall out to make room for their 42 adult teeth.
Most people will get their puppy from a breeder at the age of 8 weeks, and at this age, all the baby teeth are in. At 4 months old puppies will enter their most active chewing phase when they start to lose their baby teeth. This is when teething is the worst, and this phase usually lasts for 2 months.
During your puppy’s teething phase, you will notice tiny teeth laying on the floor, and your puppy’s toys might have blood on them, and your puppy will be drooling more because of the gaps from missing teeth. This is completely normal, and sometimes your puppy will swallow some teeth too, which is also normal, so if you don’t happen to find any teeth laying on the floor don’t worry.
When your puppy reaches the age of 6-7 months, all the baby teeth will be out and the adult teeth should have grown in nicely. It is essential to introduce dental hygiene to your puppy, by brushing his teeth. Check out this article by thesprucepets.com for some helpful tips and advice.
How To Help Your Puppy Survive The Teething Phase
Provide Appropriate Toys
In order to help your puppy through this painful period, you will want to provide appropriate toys for your puppy to chew on. Having a good variety of chew toys will keep your pup away from your expensive shoes and furniture.
Choose Toys Especially For Puppies
The best teething toys will be soft enough for your pup to chew but will be durable enough to last for a long time. Teething toys for puppies are designed to be softer and more gentle on their sensitive gums compared to adult toys.
Consider Different Shapes & Textures
It is also a good idea to try out different shapes and textures, puppies quickly become bored with the same toy, and that means they will turn to chew something else of interest like your furniture.
Choose The Right Size
The toys you choose for your puppy should be sized appropriately. A toy for a small breed puppy could become a choking hazard for a large breed puppy like a Great Dane.
Consider Flavoured Toys
Some teething toys are flavoured, and some toys can be stuffed with your pup’s favourite treats. Chewing on something that tastes good will keep your pup entertained for hours.
Freeze Your Pup’s Favourite Toy
To help soothe your pup’s sore gums and teeth, try popping your puppy’s favourite toy in the freezer. A cold toy to chew on will help to relieve the pain of inflamed gums.
6 Best Teething Toys For Puppies
The following is a list of some of the best and favourite toys for teething puppies.
1. KONG Classic Chew Toy
KONG has been making high quality and durable toys for dogs and puppies for over 40 years. KONG is a leader in the industry, and dogs from all over the world love KONG products, and they come highly recommended by veterinary professionals.
The KONG Puppy is made of soft rubber, specially customized for puppies teeth and gums. It is the most gentle of the KONG rubber toys and is softer than the adult ones.
This toy is ideal for chewing, and it can be stuffed with treats, like peanut butter. For an extra soothing treat, you can pop it in the freezer, and your pup will have hours of fun.
This toy is durable and offers plenty of versatility. Your pup can chew on it, it can be stuffed with treats, and it has an unpredictable bounce that will keep your pup guessing where it will land. It makes for a fun game of fetch.
- Made of soft natural rubber, gentle on puppy teeth and gums
- The hollow center is great for stuffing with treats and freezing
- Unpredictable bounce, perfect for playing fetch
- Teaches appropriate chewing behaviour
- Great for crate training, offers hours of fun
- Made in the USA
- Available in Pink and Blue
- Available in 4 sizes, XS, S, M, L
- When this toy is not stuffed with treats, your puppy may get bored with it, because it makes no sound, and cannot be ripped apart easily. Puppies love toys that they can rip apart, but toys like that are not safe for them or good for your wallet. Make sure to rotate your puppy’s toys to prevent boredom.
2. Nylabone Just For Puppies Key Ring Chew Toy
Nylabone has been making chew toys for dogs since 1955. Their chew toys are extremely popular among dogs and puppies of all chewing stages.
This puppy keyring toy is made with soft puppy friendly material, that will satisfy the chewing needs of teething puppies. This keyring comes in a delicious bacon flavour that pups love.
This is a fun toy that puppies can chew on safely. It is practically indestructible and helps to clean puppies’ teeth.
- Soft and gentle for puppies teeth and gums
- Durable, and practically indestructible
- Satisfies teething pups
- Bacon flavoured, to add to the chewing experience
- Bright colours and fun shapes and textures to keep your pup entertained
- Moving parts that make a noise when shaken or rattled, toys that make a sound are more fun for your pup
- Has raised bristles that help clean teeth and prevent tartar build-up.
- Can be used for throwing and games of fetch
- Made in the USA
- This toy cannot be ripped apart, again that is a good thing, but your pup may get bored, so you need to rotate toys
- Close supervision is a must with this toy
- Only meant for puppies who are teething, not to be given to older puppies with adult teeth, as they can chew off large pieces.
Note that this toy is bacon flavoured, but it is not edible. When this toy shows signs of wear, it needs to be replaced.
3. Cotton Rope Chew Toys by Nollary
This 3 piece rope toy set features a ball, corn, and a tug of war toy to keep your puppy interested and having fun, and chewing appropriate toys instead of your expensive shoes!
Each chew toy is made of safe, non-toxic natural cotton. The thick cotton rope is durable and strong and is ideal for teething puppies and aggressive chewers.
Rope toys are a great way for your puppy to alleviate the pain associated with teething. They are great for cleaning your puppy’s teeth and maintaining good oral hygiene.
Rope toys are a great way to bond with your puppy, as you can get in on the fun and play endless games of fetch.
It can be very enticing to engage in a game of tug-of-war with your puppy, but you should hold off until your puppy is older and has his adult teeth in. Playing tug-of-war with your puppy while he is teething can affect the growth of his teeth.
- Satisfies your puppy’s urge to chew.
- Safe and non-toxic rope toys.
- Durable and thick rope toys suitable for teething puppies and aggressive chewers.
- Cleans your puppy’s teeth.
- Alleviates teething pain.
- Prevents boredom.
- Great bonding experience and interactive fun.
- These rope toys are not indestructible, some puppies were able to destroy them.
4. KONG Puppy Binkie
This puppy binkie from KONG is made of soft natural rubber which is ideal for your puppy’s growing teeth. It satisfies your puppy’s urge to chew while being soft and gentle on your pup’s teeth.
This binkie will already satisfy your pup’s chewing habits, but to entice your pup even more it can be stuffed with your puppy’s favourite treats. Your puppy will be busy for hours.
KONG products are made in the USA, and this binkie is made of natural soothing rubber. It is available in pink or blue and in small or medium.
- Soothes gums and teeth.
- Can be stuffed with treats for added fun.
- Made of soft natural rubber that is safe and gentle for puppies.
- Teaches your puppy appropriate chewing behaviour.
- Can be frozen for soothing chewing relief.
- Durable and well-made in the USA.
- KONG satisfaction guaranteed.
- Some reviews mention that this toy is a bit large and heavy for small puppies.
- The binkie ring is thin and might be the first thing that gets destroyed.
- Not meant for aggressive chewers.
5. KONG Floppy Knots Fox
Having a variety of textures and shapes for your puppy to chew on will help keep your pup from getting bored and chew on something that he shouldn’t.
Most puppies love to have something soft to chew on, it makes them feel like they are biting down on their prey. This toy from KONG has a soft cuddly exterior, with an internal rope skeleton, to satisfy chewing.
The floppy design of this toy has minimal stuffing, which means your pup can shake this toy and tug and chew at it. This toy squeaks too which will keep your pup interested.
- Soft and floppy design, perfect for gentle chewers
- Various textures, with an internal knotted rope, and squeakers
- 2 sizes available, small/medium, and medium/large
- Large size has multiple squeakers, small size has one squeaker
- Minimal stuffing means less mess
- Other animals to choose from include: Bunny, Elephant, and Hippo
- Machine washable
- Not meant for aggressive chewers
6. Chuckit! Ultra Ball
Puppies love to play with bouncy balls and this ball from Chuckit! bounces high, and is extremely durable. This bright orange and blue coloured ball can easily be seen from a distance, and it even floats, so you can take your game of fetch to the water.
This ball is perfect for puppies to chew on, it is made of natural rubber, and unlike tennis balls with felt that can wear down teeth, this ball is safe to chew on, and is practically indestructible.
This ball is designed to be compatible with the Chuckit! Dog Ball Launcher, which is sold separately. Using this ball with the launcher will save your arm from getting tired from all that throwing, but even without the launcher, this ball can be thrown at a great distance because it is lightweight, and it bounces extremely high no matter the surface type.
- Made from natural high-bounce rubber
- Extremely durable and long-lasting, perfect for chewing, and can withstand the toughest chewers
- Lightweight, and it floats, ideal for playing in the water
- Bright high visible colour makes it easy to spot in tall grass, or at a distance
- Smooth rubber is easy to clean, resists mess, and dog slobber can be washed off
- Available in 5 sizes
- Compatible with the Chuckit! Dog Ball Launcher (Sold Separately)
- Perfect for games of fetch
- Over time the rubber can start to wear and rip off, and it can become dangerous if your dog swallows pieces of it.
- There have been mentions of possible knockoffs of this ball, and the quality is not the same, be sure to purchase a genuine Chuckit! ball from a trusted store.
The Chuckit! Ultra Ball is one of the most durable options on this list, and one thing to note is that with 5 sizes available you need to make sure to select the proper size for your puppy.
When your puppy gets older and is no longer in the teething phase, you can introduce adult toys that are tougher and stronger, and if you have an aggressive chewer you can check out my list of tough chew toys.
When your puppy enters the teething phase it can be a stressful time for both you and your puppy, but your expensive household items don’t need to suffer. If you invest in some of the best teething toys for puppies that I have mentioned above, your puppy will be chewing on appropriate items that will help ease the pain.
To keep your puppy interested in chewing on appropriate toys, it is best to have a good selection and to rotate the toys frequently. Have a few different shapes and textures, and remember to freeze and stuff toys with your pup’s favourite treats to keep their interest high.
Always keep your pup’s safety in mind, and choose appropriate sized toys, and toys that are meant for puppies. Puppy toys are designed to be softer and more gentle on teeth and gums than adult toys. When getting rope toys, it is important to refrain from playing tug-of-war until your pup has grown his adult teeth.
Supervision is important with any toy, and when a toy shows any sign of damage you should always remove it.
By providing your puppy with a great selection of teething toys, your puppy will be chewing happily, and your precious household items will be intact, and you will soon realize that this phase of puppyhood is almost over and you and your puppy survived it.
How About You?
Has your puppy tried any of the above toys? Maybe you have a favourite toy that is not mentioned, or you would like to share your puppy’s teething experience.
Please leave a comment below, I would love to hear from you.