Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link & purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
[UPDATED SEPTEMBER 2022]
Are you looking for the best calming beds for dogs? You’ve come to the right place!
I have put together a detailed review of the 7 best, which will make choosing the right one for your dog a lot easier!
Not sure what a calming dog bed is?
No worries, we’ll answer that question in detail, along with specific features that make a dog bed calming.
Plus, find out how a calming dog bed can benefit your dog.
Let’s get to it!
What Is A Calming Bed For Dogs?
A calming bed for dogs is typically donut-shaped, featuring a raised rim and a faux-fur shag exterior. The middle of the bed provides soft cushioned comfort, allowing your dog to nest. The raised rim provides your dog with a sense of security, while the soft faux-fur exterior provides warmth and comfort, mimicking that of a mother’s fur coat. All of these elements provide a calming and soothing feel to your dog, helping to ease anxiety.
6 Benefits Of Calming Beds For Dogs
The following are 6 benefits that your dog will enjoy:
1. Eases Anxiety
Are you wondering if there’s a dog bed that helps with anxiety? Yes, there is!
The shape and design of a calming dog bed work to ease your dog’s anxiety.
Its raised rim provides a sense of security, making your dog feel sheltered all around.
A calming dog bed activates your dog’s nervous system in a positive way, to make your dog relax and calm down faster.
According to dailypaws.com, one of the ways you can help ease your dog’s anxiety is to create a safe space for your dog.
A good idea is to place a calming bed in a nice quiet area of your home, so your dog can rest and relax.
2. More Restful Sleep
Because your dog will be calmer and more relaxed, your dog will be able to get a better quality of sleep and feel well-rested.
3. Soft And Comfortable
Calming beds are soft and comfortable, thanks to their shag-like faux-fur exterior.
Plus, their raised rim and soft cushioning in the middle, provide support and relief to your dog’s head, neck and joints.
4. Warm And Soothing
Calming beds are self-warming, meaning your dog’s own body heat is retained. This is thanks to the faux-fur exterior, which is meant to mimic a mother’s fur coat.
The warmth and softness are soothing to your dog.
5. Great For All Dogs
A calming bed is great for all dogs regardless of size and breed!
Even if your dog doesn’t suffer from anxiety, your dog can still enjoy the comfort of this type of bed.
6. Stylish Design
Calming beds are very stylish. They typically come in a variety of beautiful colours, ranging from fun and bright to soft neutral colours that are suitable for any decor.
Do Calming Beds For Dogs Really Work?
Calming beds can certainly help to ease your dog’s minor anxiety symptoms and many dog owners have used calming beds to do just that!
However, there have been no scientific studies to actually prove that calming beds work.
The design of a calming bed is meant to provide a sense of security, warmth, and soothing comfort.
Your dog will feel like he’s laying next to his mother or littermates, that’s because of the raised rim and faux fur.
Sleep alone can affect your dog’s anxiety levels, just like it does in humans. When we don’t get enough sleep, we end up being restless, anxious, and moody. The same is true for your dog.
Sometimes, the easiest solution to your dog’s anxiety is restful sleep, and a calming bed can certainly provide that.
If your dog suffers from severe anxiety, a calming bed alone won’t be the magic cure. But, it can certainly be a great addition to other treatment options.
A great way to find out if your dog is calm and relaxed while you are away, or to monitor your dog’s sleep behaviour is with the help of a dog activity monitor like FitBark.
What To Look For In A Calming Dog Bed?
Calming beds for dogs all have a few things in common, a soft plush exterior, and raised edges that surround your dog to make him feel safe and secure.
But, not all of these beds are created equal!
Here are some features to look out for:
A waterproof design is important, especially if you have a puppy or senior dog that is prone to accidents.
It is also a protection against any spills or messes. Accidents happen, and you want to protect your investment!
Many of the calming beds can be completely tossed into the washing machine and the dryer.
Keep in mind that the bigger the bed, the bigger the washing machine needed.
Some beds feature an outer cover that can be removed by a zipper. This is very convenient especially if you don’t want to wash the entire bed.
Some beds will come with a manufacturer’s warranty, which is very helpful to protect your investment.
Calming beds are meant to surround your dog in plushy soft goodness.
If your dog likes to stretch out you will need to factor that in when choosing the right size, you’ll want to get a size larger.
7 Best Calming Beds For Dogs
Now that you have discovered the benefits of a calming bed, plus, what features you need to look for, it’s time to get to the reviews!
Below are the 7 best calming beds for dogs.
1. Best Friends by Sheri The Original Calming Donut Dog Bed
[Best Calming Dog Bed Overall]
The Best Friends by Sheri Original Calming Dog Bed gets my vote as the best calming dog bed overall.
I’m not the only one in love with this bed, it’s one of the most popular calming beds on the market!
It comes in a variety of colours that would suit any decor, but most importantly, it is super soft, comfortable, and completely safe for your dog!
This bed is all Vegan, there are no harsh dyes, flame retardants, formaldehyde, or skin-irritating chemicals.
Unlike some beds that have a nasty chemical smell to them, this bed does not!
The great thing about this bed is that it provides plenty of head and neck support with its thick rim, and it comes in a variety of sizes to suit all breeds.
The largest size is 2XL which would fit dogs up to 210 Lbs.
This short video offers tips on how to properly open and fluff a Best Friends by Sheri bed:
- All Vegan.
- Raised rim for head & neck support.
- Reinforced stitching for durability.
- 5 Sizes available, suitable for all breeds.
- Machine washable & dryer safe.
- Size M – 2XL beds have a removable cover that can be machine washed and dried.
- Side zipper & bottom zipper (size M – 2XL).
- Size Small can be completely washed and dried.
- Variety of colours.
- Water & dirt resistant bottom.
- Quality Fill CoziLOFT Fibres keep their loft 3x longer.
- Soft and cozy bed with deep crevices that allow dogs to burrow and nest, to make them feel safe and secure.
- It is self-warming, your dog will be able to retain his own body heat and feel warm.
- Generous-sized rim offers head and neck support.
- Many owners of this bed mention it holds up well to their dog’s scratching, compared to other beds.
- The small bed is completely machine washable, and the larger sizes feature a removable cover that can be machine washed and dried.
- This bed is loved by both dogs and cats!
- Many owners wish the small size had a removable cover as well.
- Not an ideal bed for the summer months, as many dogs find it too warm.
- Not enough cushioning support in the middle, some dogs are able to feel the floor.
- This bed is not ideal for aggressive chewers or teething puppies.
2. MIXJOY Orthopedic Dog Bed Comfortable Donut Cuddler
[Best Lightweight Option For Travelling]
The donut cuddler by Mixjoy is super soft and plush and is made of durable nylon and luxurious faux-fur to provide your dog with a relaxing and restful sleep.
This bed is lightweight and portable, you can take it with you when travelling.
Hand washing is recommended but the entire bed can be machine washed on a cold gentle cycle and thrown in the dryer on low heat.
The raised rims provide cushioning head and neck support to your dog, and the soft faux-fur plush is self-warming and soothing to your dog.
Available in 3 sizes, XS, Small, and Medium. This bed is suitable for small dogs only, as the Medium size holds up to 45 Lbs.
- Available in 5 neutral colours.
- Made of pet-safe materials. Filled with high-loft recycled polyester fibre filling.
- Durable nylon non-slip bottom.
- Self-warming faux-fur.
- Lightweight and portable.
- Raised rim.
- Machine washable and dryer safe.
- Available in 3 sizes.
- Suitable for small dogs. (Medium holds up to 45 Lbs.)
- Dogs feel calm and relaxed in this bed because of the raised rims and soft plush.
- One owner mentioned her dog started to chew at this bed but after a few minutes started to relax and feel calm.
- Dogs quickly gravitate to this bed, they love how soft and cuddly it is.
- It provides your dog with a sound sleep.
- Stylish design and beautiful neutral colours.
- Easy to wash.
- Although the name implies “orthopedic”, this bed is not an orthopedic bed. The middle of the bed does not offer much-cushioning support. Dogs will be able to feel the ground.
- There is no zippered removable cover, the entire bed will need to be washed if it gets dirty.
- Not ideal for aggressive chewers or teething puppies.
- A few owners mentioned this bed seems to be lumpy and does not completely fluff up.
3. Bessie And Barney Extra Plush Calming Dog Bed
[Best Waterproof Calming Dog Bed]
Bessie and Barney is a company that manufactures high-quality luxurious dog beds. Their beds are completely made in the USA, based out of Florida.
This bagel-shaped calming bed is extra plush, making it super soft and comfortable for your dog.
I chose this bed as the best waterproof option on the list because it features a waterproof pillow liner to protect the bed from any spills or messes.
Plus, it also features a 360-degree zippered removable cover that can be machine washed and dried.
This calming bed is completely reversible and safe for any floor.
It is generously filled with earth-friendly polyfill and provides plenty of support. Your dog’s weight will be evenly distributed for maximum comfort.
Available in 5 sizes, the largest size is XL, and can hold 71 Lbs. and up.
- 360-degree zippered removable cover.
- The cover is machine washable and dryer safe.
- Waterproof pillow liner.
- Super soft and long-lasting plush fabric.
- Filled with eco-friendly polyfill.
- Available in a variety of neutral colours.
- Available in sizes XS-XL.
- The Large measures 42″ by 42″ by 14″.
- Made in the USA.
- This bed provides a generous amount of cushioning and support for the dog’s head and neck.
- It is a high-quality well-made bed.
- Dogs love how soft and plush the bed is and they are able to sink into it and feel safe and secure.
- Best waterproof option. The waterproof pillow liner protects the bed, and the removable cover can be machine washed and dried.
- Many owners mention this is the best dog bed they have ever purchased, and that their dog loved this bed from day 1.
- Absolutely no chemical smell.
- The cover is durable and will last a long time, and holds up well after washing.
- It is pricey, but the owners of this bed say it is well worth it.
- There is no mention of a warranty.
- The cover is the only thing that can be washed, not the entire bed.
- This bed is very plush and is too warm for the summer months.
4. Calming Dog Bed Fluffy Plush Mat & Furniture Protector
[Best Versatile Calming Dog Bed]
Alright, so this is not your typical calming dog bed, but the idea is there. This calming dog bed is designed to be used as a furniture protector or a floor mat.
You can use it on the couch, your bed, the floor, or even your car, wherever your dog loves to relax and sleep.
The unique curved design with raised rim and soft plush fabric, makes your dog feel comfortable and secure.
Featuring a zippered removable cover that can be machine washed and dried, as well as a non-skid bottom. This bed provides plenty of room for your dog to cuddle up as well as stretch out.
The soft plush cover is self-warming and is durable and claw-resistant.
Available in 3 sizes, the Large is suitable for dogs up to 90 Lbs.
- The versatile design can be used on the floor, couch, bed, or car.
- Zippered removable cover.
- Non-slip bottom.
- Raised curved rim.
- Machine washable & dryer safe.
- Available in 3 sizes.
- Available in 4 colours.
- This calming bed can be used anywhere your dog sleeps.
- Protects your furniture, and keeps hair off of your furniture.
- Soft and plush, this bed is very comfortable and soothing to your dog.
- The removable cover is easy to clean.
- Features a large sleeping surface, it can even be placed on top of your dog’s current bed to make it more comfortable.
- The pillow insert of the raised rim is not as fluffy and supportive as portrayed.
- It doesn’t stay put when your dog tries to jump up on it, it slides off the furniture.
- The bed is pretty thin and offers no support, it’s more of a blanket.
5. Alpha Paw Cozy Calming Bed For Dogs
[Best For Small-Medium Sized Dogs]
The Cozy Calming Bed For Dogs by Alpha Paw is ideal for small to medium-sized dogs. The Large size is suitable for dogs weighing up to 60 Lbs.
Featuring a soft faux-fur exterior and raised rim, this calming bed will make your pup feel safe and secure.
What sets this bed apart from the others is that it is filled with 100% recycled bottles that have been made into super comfortable polyester fibres.
This bed is generously stuffed and the raised bolsters provide head and neck support.
The bed is completely machine washable and dryer safe.
Alpha Paw offers a 30-day money-back guarantee on this bed.
Plus, the great news is that this product sponsors meals for shelter dogs. Not only can you feel good about purchasing a sustainable bed, but you are helping shelter dogs too!
- Soft faux shag fur.
- 100% recycled filling.
- Non-slip bottom.
- Extra stuffing.
- Machine washable & dryer safe.
- Available in a variety of colours.
- Available in 3 sizes; Small, Medium & Large.
- 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee.
- A good quality dog bed that dogs actually love to lay on.
- The soft faux-fur helps to ease feelings of anxiety, by mimicking the fur and warmth of a mother dog.
- It is generously stuffed and made using 100% recycled filling.
- Plenty of neutral colours to choose from that match any decor.
- The price is great, and you get a money-back guarantee.
- Not available in larger sizes to suit large dogs that weigh more than 60 Lbs.
- The cover is not removable, to clean it, you need to wash the entire bed.
- There is not enough cushioning in the middle, dogs are able to feel the floor.
- Sizing is smaller than expected, it is best to size up if you want a larger bed.
6. Suede Bagel Dog Bolster Bed by Majestic Pet Products
[Best For Oversized Dogs]
This calming bed is not like the others on this list because it doesn’t have all that fuzzy faux fur.
Instead, it has a soft and durable microsuede exterior that gives your dog that cozy feeling.
The raised rim and soft cushiony middle allow your dog to burrow and feel safe and secure.
This bed is a great choice for all dogs, especially oversized dogs! The largest size is 52″ and is ideal for dogs up to 110lbs.
It is generously stuffed and the middle provides a good amount of support so your dog doesn’t feel the floor.
What makes this bed calming is the raised rim all the way around, plus the soft microsuede exterior provides a warm cozy feeling.
The base of the bed is made of water-resistant Denier fabric to protect any spills or messes from seeping onto your floor.
This bed features a removable zippered cover that can be machine washed, plus, the entire bed can be machine washed as well. But, air drying is recommended.
- Raised rim for head & neck support.
- Durable microsuede cover.
- Heavy-duty waterproof base made of 300/600 Denier.
- Filled with Premium High Loft Recycled Polyester Fiberfill.
- Available in 4 sizes.
- The 40″ and 52″ size beds feature a removable zippered cover for easy washing.
- The bed is fully machine washable.
- Available in 7 colours.
- Made in the USA.
- 60-Day Warranty.
- This durable dog bed can withstand pawing and scratching.
- It is comfy and cuddly without faux fur, a better option for dogs who tend to chew.
- Generously stuffed and oval-shaped to allow dogs to stretch out and have more room.
- An excellent option for oversized dogs, plus it has plenty of cushioned support in the middle so dogs don’t feel the floor.
- Easy to clean, the entire bed is machine washable. The 2 larger-sized beds feature a removable cover.
- There is no chemical smell.
- Dog hair easily sticks to the cover.
- The suede material is not resistant to dog drool.
- The middle cushion tends to lump to one side, depending on how your dog lays on it. It needs to be fluffed every once in a while.
- It needs to be air-dried.
7. Furhaven Snuggery Dog Bed With Cooling Gel Foam
[Best For All-Seasons]
The Furhaven Snuggery Dog Bed is an excellent bed for year-round enjoyment.
It features cooling gel foam to make sure dogs are kept cool during the hot summer months.
The Snuggery bed allows your dog to feel calm, relaxed and cozy thanks to its sherpa fleece lining. Plus, the attached blanket that doubles as a hood allow your dog to feel safe and secure.
To transform the blanket into a hood, simply insert the plastic tube that’s included. Your dog will have his own little cave, perfect for dogs who love to hide and burrow.
It features a thick base layer of medical-grade support foam. Dogs with joint issues will find relief in this bed.
- Round shape cuddle bed with blanket/hood.
- Plastic tubing transforms the blanket into a hood.
- The medical-grade support foam base is 3″ thick.
- Topped with a layer of cooling gel foam.
- Sherpa-fleece sleep surface and lining.
- Wear-resistant micro-suede exterior.
- Machine washable removable zippered cover.
- Available in 4 sizes, the largest size fits dogs up to 80 Lbs.
- Available in various colours.
- Made in the USA.
- 90-Day Limited Warranty.
- This bed provides orthopedic support and regulates your dog’s body temperature. The cooling gel foam keeps your dog cool and comfortable.
- The blanket is great for dogs who like to snuggle underneath it, and it can be transformed into a hood for dogs who like to feel safe in a cave.
- The base offers great support and is 3″ thick so your dog will not feel the floor.
- The colours of this bed are very stylish and will fit any room in your house.
- The fabric is very soft and plush.
- Many owners of this bed mentioned their dog fell asleep in this bed right away and didn’t want to get out of it.
- It has a removable cover for easy washing.
- This bed is not waterproof.
- A few owners were disappointed with the plastic tubing because it arrived bent and damaged. (Furhaven was able to resolve the issue by sending another tube).
- The cushion base is firm and supportive, and not ideal for those dogs who like to dig and nest.
- The exterior cover is thin and not ideal for dogs who chew or like to paw at it.
As we have learned, calming beds for dogs come in a variety of different styles.
But, what makes them calming is their soft faux-fur which is meant to mimic a mother’s fur coat, and their raised edges to provide a sense of security.
A calming bed can certainly be helpful when it comes to easing your dog’s anxiety, but in some cases, it may need to be used in conjunction with other anxiety treatments.
If your dog suffers from anxiety, why not try a calming dog bed? You may be surprised how great it works!
My absolute favourite is the Best Friends by Sheri The Original Calming Donut Dog Bed. Not only is it stylish, but it’s soft, cozy, and self-warming. Plus, it even accommodates extra large dogs!
Which calming bed for dogs is your favourite?
Let me know in the comments below, and if you have any questions please ask!
I am the proud owner of a Golden Retriever named Ellie. She keeps me busy, and when she is resting, you can find me working on my blog. She is always close by though. I live in Stirling, ON Canada with my husband, and we both enjoy the never a dull moment life with our Ellie.
8 thoughts on “7 Best Calming Beds For Dogs [For A Soothing Sleep!]”
Hey there! I was looking for something stylish, but that would be comfortable and cozy at the same time. And I feel I found the right balance in the MIXJOY Orthopedic Dog Bed. I fell in love with their neutral colours. And I like that they match the colours in my home.
I’m glad you were able to find a calming bed that both you and your dog love.
Thanks for stopping by,
I keep looking at the Best Friends by Sheri Cozy Cuddler, but my little dachshund definitely needs a place to rest her head. She has heart disease and needs to keep her head raised at times. It doesn’t really look like there is a raised edge but the info said there is. So just want to confirm. Thank you.
Thanks for reaching out to me, the Best Friends by Sherri Cozy Cuddler calming bed does have a raised rim to offer head and neck support. The picture does look a bit deceiving, but the description indicates the raised rim is 9″ high.
It is a very soft and cozy bed, perfect for your little dachshund to snuggle in. I am sorry to hear that she is suffering from heart disease, I really hope you find her the perfect bed. The majestic bagel shape bed is a great choice as well, it has a high rim for head and neck support too.
All the best to you, if you have any other questions please ask.
This is a very helpful article! I’ve owned two dogs in the past and wish I had considered calming beds earlier. My dogs would just walk around in circles, patting down the carpet, or the blankets on my bed, before sinking down and curling up. I was unaware of the mental benefits of calming beds, how they can ease a dog’s anxiety levels, along with good night sleep.
My older sister owns a mixed breed Rottweiler/Beagle who uses a square-shaped memory foam bed and I’m interested in sharing this article with her. Which of these beds would you recommend for her particular breed?
It sounds like your previous dogs were trying to get comfortable and burrow into your blankets on your bed, I am sure they would have loved a calming bed to surround them in comfort and make them feel secure.
For your sister’s dog, I would recommend either the Suede Bagel Bed by Majestic Pet Products or the Furhaven Snuggery Dog Bed with Cooling Gel Foam.
The Suede Bagel Bed would be a great choice because it is generously stuffed and offers a good amount of cushion in the middle so that the dog doesn’t feel the floor. It still offers the dog a sense of security because of the raised rim all the way around, as well as good head and neck support.
Your sister’s dog already sleeps on a memory foam bed, and that is why I recommend the Furhaven bed as another great choice because it has a 3″ thick base made of medical-grade support foam. It is topped with cooling gel foam to keep dogs cool in the summer months.
Deciding on the right bed for your sister’s dog can be tough as I am not sure of the dog’s sleeping style or particular needs. There are so many different styles of beds and I hope my suggestions help. I have also reviewed cooling beds, chew proof dog beds, and orthopedic dog beds, you may find those reviews in the menu above.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
My new dog definitely needs a calming bed. He thinks bedtime is playtime and runs all over the house trying to get us to chase him! He is just five months old now, but can be such a little beast at bedtime! We bought a bed for him from Walmart, but he just looks at it! Not very useful when we want him to sleep and thereby allow us—his humans—to sleep, too!
He currently sleeps on the bed between my spouse and I, but I don’t think any of us sleep well. I’m worried about rolling over on him and hurting him and he hogs as much of the bed as he can in all his mini dachshund glory!
He doesn’t seem to be overly anxious, he just loves to play!
My favorite of the beds you talk about is the Best Friends by Sheri Cozy Cuddler. If I can get him and the cat to sleep in that one together it would be ideal! I think the cat would steal it, though! Since he loves to burrow, I think this one might be ideal. I will be checking it out later tonight when I get home from work!
I’m grateful for the review. As new dog owners, we are looking for the best items for our baby.
It sounds like your little Dachshund is treating bedtime like playtime lol! As soon as dogs discover just how comfortable your bed is or your couch, look out because they will never want to lay on anything else! I should know because I have been sharing my couch with my Golden Retriever for her entire life. She has her own bed though, thank goodness! Lol.
I think the Best Friends by Sheri Cozy Cuddler is a great choice for your cat and your pup, and how cute would the two of them look sleeping in that bed together.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.