Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link & purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
[UPDATED September 2021]
Fall time is here, which means pumpkins, leaves, cooler weather and of course Halloween! If you’re a dog owner who loves Halloween, you probably plan on dressing your pooch in a costume too! To give you some ideas and inspiration, I have put together a list of 10 cute Halloween costumes for dogs.
Each costume is cute and adorable, and will have your pooch stealing the show! You could even coordinate your own costume or your kid’s costumes to that of your dog, and make it a family affair!
Don’t worry if your dog hates getting dressed up because I have included some very minimal Halloween-themed items as well.
10 Cute Halloween Costumes For Dogs
Your dog is a very important part of your family, so why not include him or her in all the fun of getting dressed up for Halloween.
While the majority of dogs do not enjoy wearing a costume, there are some dogs that do or at least tolerate it!
The following costumes are simply adorable, and your dog may even enjoy parading around in them.
1. Pretty As A Peacock Pet Costume
The Pretty As A Peacock Pet Costume is made by California Costume Collections. It features a vibrant blue body that is made of polyester, iridescent blue-green feathers made of foam to keep its shape and a plush detailed headpiece.
This costume will certainly attract attention. It is well-made and the colours are vibrant and beautiful.
The costume is lightweight and comfortable and easy to put on and take off. The headpiece secures into place with Velcro.
If you are taking your dog trick or treating, a harness can be worn underneath as there is a harness/leash hole opening on the back.
This costume is available in XS-Large. The Large would fit a Golden Retriever, Lab, or a small Boxer.
- Definitely a show stopping costume that draws attention.
- Well-made and very colourful.
- Lightweight and comfortable.
- Harness/leash hole opening on the back.
- The headpiece is annoying to most dogs.
- Some mention that the feathers do not stay up.
2. Rubie’s Pet Costume Monarch Butterfly
The Monarch Butterfly by Rubie’s Pet Costume would be perfect for your female dog. This dress features the colours of Halloween, orange, yellow and black. It comes complete with Monarch butterfly wings that are attached to the back, as well as a headband with an orange flower adorned on the top.
This costume is very well made, with a hook and loop closure under the belly for easy dressing and removal. Your pup simply needs to put her two front paws through the leg openings, and then you secure the dress under the belly.
Sizes range from Small to XL.
- Super cute and well-made.
- Easy to put on and take off.
- Non-restrictive and comfortable for your dog to wear.
- Many mention that the sizing is off. Some say the costume runs small.
- Limited sizes available.
- Suitable for small dogs or puppies, the costume is too small for large dogs.
3. Bumble Bee Pet Costume
The Bumble Bee Pet Costume is made by Rubie’s Pet Costume. The bee striped shirt is made of soft polyester, and features snap buttons along the belly to allow for easy on and off removal.
This outfit is complete with a yellow pom-pom antennae headband, and mesh wings that are attached to the back of the striped shirt.
The shirt has leg openings that are wide enough for your dog to move around freely and comfortably. The material is lightweight so your dog will not overheat.
Sizes range from Small to XL.
- Lightweight and comfortable.
- Your dog will look cute wearing this.
- Non-restrictive, and breathable.
- Rubie’s Costumes has coordinating costumes for humans.
- The hood doesn’t stay up or fit on some dog’s heads.
- The wings are not very big, some wish they were bigger and more noticeable.
- The XL was tight on a 90lb Doberman, just to give you an idea of sizing.
4. TOMSENN Dog Lion Mane
Who could resist dressing their dog up as a lion? This costume is ideal for dogs who hate wearing costumes over their entire body. Just think how realistic your Golden Retriever would look wearing this lion mane wig.
Make your dog feel like the King in this shaggy mane. You might be thinking of a Lion King-themed costume for yourself to coordinate.
This lion mane is ideal for medium to large-sized dogs. Compatible neck sizes for dogs range from 60-80cm.
It is easy to clean and made to last, and very realistic looking. As a BONUS, you get a lion tail included to complete your dog’s costume.
Made from high-quality polyester fibre, this lion mane is easy to put on and take off and is comfortable for your dog to wear. The inner lining has a silky feel which is smooth and soft on your dog’s skin, to not irritate it. The mane easily slides over your dog’s head and can be adjusted with a drawstring.
- Minimal outfit that allows your dog to move around freely and be comfortable.
- Ideal costume for Golden Retrievers, as it would match their colouring.
- Realistic looking and excellent quality.
- Comes in a resealable bag.
- Many dogs would be annoyed with this on their head.
- The included tail piece is hard to figure out how to put on.
5. UPS Pal Dog Costume
Do you need a parcel delivered on time? Well, you can be sure your UPS dog will get the job done!
The UPS Pal Dog Costume by California Costume Collections is available in 3 sizes, Small, Medium and Large. It is made of 100% polyester fabric and fiberfill. The shirt has sleeves for your dog’s front legs and it fastens around your dog’s neck with Velcro straps.
The uniform is complete with a visor that has an elastic chin strap, and a UPS parcel attached to foam arms on the front of the shirt. The UPS box has to be cut out from the sheet included and assembled.
This costume is definitely unique and great for a laugh. It is a minimal design that is comfortable for your dog to wear, or at least tolerate for a short period of time while you snap a cute photo.
- Goes on easy and secures around your dog’s neck with Velcro.
- Comfortable and easy for your dog to move around in.
- Cute and funny costume.
- Fits a variety of dogs, the large fits Retrievers perfectly. One reviewer mentioned large fit her 80lb German Shepherd comfortably.
- You have to assemble the UPS box yourself, and it is made of thin cardboard.
- The hat/visor is a bit flimsy.
6. Banana Split Ice Cream Sundae
Who doesn’t love a good banana split sundae? Especially when your favourite dog is wearing it.
This costume by Rubie’s Pet Costumes is so cute and funny, your dog will definitely steal the show.
Your dog will feel comfortable wearing this costume because it is of minimal design. It fastens easily in the front and under your dog’s belly with Velcro.
This ice cream sundae costume features a red and white checkered body with plush chocolate, strawberry and vanilla ice cream scoops. You can easily coordinate this costume with your own by searching for Rubie’s coordinating people’s costumes.
The sizes available are Small, Medium and Large.
- It is cute and of minimal design.
- Easy to coordinate with matching people’s costumes by Rubie’s.
- Easy to put on and take off.
- It is a bit heavy on top, causing the costume to slide around.
7. Rypet Dog Bat Costume
The Rypet Dog Bat Costume is a great choice because it is a very minimal costume. Your dog will be comfortable and be able to move around freely wearing this.
The bat wings are designed to hold their shape just like in the image shown. They are made of 5mm thick felt cloth, making them soft and lightweight.
To secure the costume for your dog, there is a Velcro neck and belly strap that is adjustable to fit your dog. This costume is super cute and adorable, and more importantly, it is very minimal which means your dog will tolerate it easily.
This costume is suitable for small, medium and large dogs as well as cats. To get the proper fit, you need to measure your dog’s neck and chest.
Rypet offers a complete 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you’re not happy with this costume a full refund or replacement is available.
- Lightweight but durable costume.
- The bat wings hold their shape and will not flop.
- Very minimal costume that dog’s don’t mind wearing.
- Fits dogs of all sizes as well as cats.
- A few mentions of the Velcro not being strong enough or staying in place.
- Some mentioned the costume runs small, and to order a larger size.
8. Cute Batgirl Pet Costume by Rubie’s Pet Costumes
Dress your dog up as a superhero. This Batgirl outfit makes an adorable Halloween dog costume. Dress yourself up as Batman and you can be a dynamic duo.
This officially licensed DC Comics Batgirl pet costume includes a bat ears headpiece, a black dress with a gold bat symbol and a belt.
The Batgirl outfit is easy to put on and take off. Your pup simply needs to step into the leg openings with her front paws and then the dress can be secured under her belly with the Velcro closure.
The headpiece is adjustable with an elastic toggle to keep it in place. This costume is available in sizes Small to XL. It is ideal for small to medium dogs or puppies.
- Cute and adorable costume.
- Easy for your dog to move around in.
- Coordinating human costumes available from Rubie’s Costumes.
- The quality could be better, the skirt is thin.
- The headpiece doesn’t stay on very well.
- Costume runs small, it will not fit large dogs. The XL was too small for a 60lb Lab.
9. Rubie’s DC Comics Wonder Woman Pet Costume
This officially licensed DC Comics costume is sure to make your dog feel like a superhero.
The Wonder Woman Pet Costume features a red dress with the Wonder Woman symbol on the back, a blue skirt with white stars and a gold belt. A Wonder Woman symbol headpiece completes the outfit.
A Velcro closure on the belly makes this dress easy to put on and take off. This costume is made by Rubie’s Pet Costumes and is well-made. You could even coordinate your costume with that of your dog by choosing to go as your favourite superhero.
The Wonder Woman Costume is made of 100% polyester, it is lightweight, non-restrictive, and breathable. Your pup will feel comfortable wearing this. The headpiece stays on with an elastic strap and Velcro closure.
There is a great range of sizes available to accommodate even large dogs such as Golden Retrievers, German Shepherds and Labrador Retrievers.
Sizes range from Small-3X.
- Many reviews mention the quality of this costume is great.
- Plenty of sizes available to accommodate both small and large dogs, even dogs with a broad chest.
- Coordinating costumes for people are available.
- Comfortable costume, it has a bit of stretch to it.
- The headpiece is a bit too big. You may need to alter it to make it fit better, some users pinned it with bobby pins.
- Velcro might be an issue for some dogs, it may be noisy, as well as get stuck in their fur.
- Many reviews mention the sizing is off. Make sure to measure your dog properly.
10. Holy Hound Pet Costume
How cute is this costume? Just think of the photo opportunity you could have if you coordinated your costume with your dog, dressed as a Nun.
The Holy Hound Pet Costume by California Costume Collections features a printed Miter headpiece and a detachable stole. The robe is made of polyester and completely opens up for easy on and off removal. You simply need to put your pup’s front paws through the leg openings and then secure the Velcro tab on the back.
The detachable stole secures in place with Velcro and the headpiece features an elastic band that goes under your dog’s chin to keep it in place.
Sizes range from X-Small to Large. The Large would fit a Golden Retriever or Labrador Retriever, just to give you an idea.
- Comfortable costume and lightweight.
- Great quality and recieves many compliments on how cute it is.
- Easy to put on and remove.
- Many reviews mention that the hat doesn’t stay on.
- Some mention the costume runs big and needed some adjusting (sleeves were too long).
Things To Consider When Choosing A Halloween Costume For Your Dog
The costume you choose should be comfortable for your dog to wear. It should allow your dog to move around freely, not restrict their breathing or hearing, and should never block their vision.
Be Aware Of Hazards
Make sure to always choose a costume that is specifically made for a pet. Remove or avoid any choking hazards such as buttons, string, or any other item that can be harmful to your dog.
Never Force Your Dog To Wear A Costume
A costume should never cause stress for a dog. If your dog shows any signs of stress, it is not the right costume for him. Some dogs don’t mind being dressed in outfits, while some dogs do not like it at all.
Do A Trial Run
It is a good idea to dress your dog in the costume to see how he reacts and feels about wearing it, before Halloween.
Monitor Your Dog
If your dog is happy to wear a costume and go out trick or treating with the family, make sure to monitor your dog at every turn to make sure he is comfortable and not stressed.
Keep Your Dog On A Leash
Halloween can be spooky for dogs. Even if your dog has a friendly outgoing nature, the noises, costumes, strangers, and kids in the dark can be scary and cause your dog to run off. Be sure to keep your dog leashed while walking, and make sure your dog’s ID tag is current.
Consider An LED Collar
An LED collar for your dog is a great way for your dog to be visible to you and other people walking, and vehicles driving by.
Watch Out For Halloween Candy
Keep a close eye on your dog to make sure he doesn’t ingest any Halloween candy or wrappers. Chocolate can be dangerous, and even lethal to dogs. Candies that contain the artificial sweetener xylitol, can be poisonous to dogs.
Does Your Dog Hate Wearing Halloween Costumes?
No problem. If your dog does not agree with wearing a costume, then you can still include them in all the fun.
Here are some great Halloween-themed items perfect for the pooch that hates to dress up.
Halloween Dog Bandana
Your dog can still get into the Halloween spirit by sporting these fun Halloween-themed dog bandanas. Made by Odi Style, this is a value pack of 3 bandanas.
Made of premium polyester, these bandanas have a silky feel to them. They are lightweight, breathable and soft. Each bandana features a fun Halloween-themed print and vivid colours. These bandanas are well-made with a high-end finish to ensure they last a long time.
Machine washable, they are suitable for small to large size dogs. They are suitable for neck sizes from 9,8″ up to 21″.
Halloween Dog Collar by Blueberry Pet
It doesn’t get any more minimal than a dog collar. Satisfy your dog’s comfort of not wearing a costume, as well as your own by still making your dog look festive.
This cute Halloween dog collar by Blueberry Pet is made of high-density polyester and golden hardware. The buckles are made of eco-friendly plastic.
A fun Halloween print of pumpkins, ghosts, candy corn and bats are featured on a vivid purple collar. The large felt pumpkin decor is attached by elastic and can be removed if you wish.
Available in Small, Medium and Large.
GoTags Halloween Dog Tag
The GoTags Halloween Dog Tag is made of premium quality Anodized Aluminum. It features a decorative Jack-O-Lantern on the front and up to 4 lines of laser engraved personalized text on the back.
It measures approximately 1.4 x 1.2 inches and comes with a glow-in-the-dark tag silencer to eliminate noise and protect the tag finish and engraving. A split ring attachment is included.
Available in Black or Harvest Gold.
I hope you have enjoyed this list of cute Halloween costumes for dogs as much as I have in picking them out.
Remember to keep your pup safe this Halloween and never force your dog to wear a costume no matter how cute they look. Some dogs just hate being dressed up. You could always just snap a picture of your dog in costume and then take it off.
Are you planning on dressing your dog up this Halloween? Which costume is your favourite?
Share your thoughts and comments below. I would love to hear from you.
Latest posts by Jenny (see all)
- Why Dog Parks Are Bad [10 Reasons & Where To Go Instead] - October 22, 2021
- Waterproof Blankets For Dogs [7 Best Reviewed] - October 13, 2021
- Adopting A Senior Golden Retriever [10 Amazing Reasons To Consider] - September 21, 2021