Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
[Updated September 2019]
Fall is almost here, and that means it’s time to start thinking and planning ahead for Halloween.
Halloween is certainly a favourite holiday for kids and adults alike. If you plan on dressing up along with your kids for a night of trick or treating, why not make it a family affair and include your dog in all the fun too!
I have put together a list of cute Halloween costumes for dogs, that will give you some inspiration for coordinating your kid’s costumes, or your own, with that of your dog.
With these cute finds, your dog may just steal the show!
Cute Halloween Costumes For Dogs
Your dog is a very important part of your family, so why not include him or her in all the fun of getting dressed up for Halloween?
While the majority of dogs do not enjoy wearing a costume, there are some dogs that do or at least tolerate it!
The following costumes are simply adorable, and your dog may even enjoy parading around in them.
1. Flounder Fish Costume
This costume is inspired by Disney’s The Little Mermaid. The yellow “Flounder” fish is a fun character from the beloved cartoon.
Your dog will look adorable wearing this. This costume is completely handmade of cotton fleece felt, which is soft and comfortable for your dog to wear. It is easy to put on and take off with Velcro adjustable closing.
It is made to order by FashionFurPaws. Sizes range from XS to XXL. A great costume for any size dog.
Image courtesy of Etsy
2. Monarch Butterfly
Do you own a female dog? This costume is perfect for her. This Monarch butterfly costume is a dress that has attached wings and comes with a headband with a flower on top.
Colours are orange, black, and yellow, completely Halloween! This costume is well-designed and has hook and loop closure under the belly.
Sizes range from Small to XL.
3. Bumble Bee
This bee striped shirt comes with a yellow pom-pom antennae headband and mesh wings.
This costume is comfortable for your dog to wear. It is made of polyester and has snap buttons along the belly to allow for easy on and off removal.
The shirt has leg openings that are wide enough for your dog to move around freely and comfortably. The material is lightweight so your dog will not overheat.
Sizes range from Small to XL.
4. Lion Mane
Who could resist dressing their dog up as a lion? This costume is ideal for the dog that doesn’t want to wear something over their entire body.
Make your dog feel like the King in this shaggy mane. You might be thinking of a Lion King-themed costume for yourself to coordinate.
This lion mane is ideal for medium to large-sized dogs. Compatible neck sizes for dogs range from 60-80cm.
It is easy to clean and made to last, and very realistic looking. As a BONUS, you get a lion tail included to complete your dog’s costume.
5. UPS Delivery Dog
Do you need a parcel delivered on time? Well, you can be sure your UPS dog will get the job done!
This costume is ideal for large size dogs. It is made of 100% polyester fabric and fiberfill. The shirt has sleeves for your dog’s front legs and it fastens around your dog’s neck with Velcro straps.
The uniform is complete with a visor that has an elastic chin strap, and a UPS parcel attached to foam arms on the front of the shirt.
This costume is definitely unique and great for a laugh.
6. Banana Split Ice Cream Sundae
Who doesn’t love a good banana split sundae? Especially when your favourite dog is wearing it?
This costume is so cute and funny, your dog will definitely steal the show.
Your dog will feel comfortable wearing this costume because it is of minimal design. It fastens easy in the front and under your dog’s belly.
It features a red and white checkered body with plush chocolate, strawberry and vanilla ice cream scoops. You can easily coordinate this costume with your own by searching for Rubie’s coordinating people’s costumes.
Sizes range from Small to XL.
7. Devil Dog Horns
Sometimes your dog can be a devil, right? These red devil horns are perfect if you want a simplistic and quick Halloween costume for your dog.
Ideal for large-sized dogs. Completely handmade of pet-friendly acrylic yarns. The red horns are lightly stuffed and sewn onto the headband to help them stand up and keep their shape.
This is easy for your dog to wear, simply put the hat on your dog and slip your dog’s ears through the earholes and tie the straps under your dog’s chin.
Even if your dog is a perfect angel, this costume makes for a great photo opportunity.
Image courtesy of Etsy.
8. Cute Batgirl
Dress your dog up as a superhero. This Batgirl outfit makes an adorable Halloween dog costume. Dress yourself up as Batman and you can be a dynamic duo.
This costume features a black and gold tutu dress with the gold bat symbol, gold trim and gold belt.
Sizes range from Small to XL.
9. Wonder Woman
This officially licensed DC Comics costume is sure to make your dog feel like a superhero.
This costume features a red dress that is easy to put on and take off with Velcro straps around the belly. The outfit is complete with a Wonder Woman symbol headband.
Sizes range from Small to 3X.
10. Holy Hound
How cute is this costume? Just think of the photo opportunity you could have if you coordinated your costume with your dog, dressed as a Nun.
This costume features a printed Miter headpiece and a detachable stole. It is lightweight and easy to put on and take off.
Sizes range from X-Small to Large.
Tips To Keep Your Dog Safe This Halloween
- Choose A Comfortable Costume. The costume that you choose for your dog should allow them to move around freely, not restrict their breathing or hearing, and should never block their vision.
- Be Aware Of Hazards. Make sure to always choose a costume that is specifically made for a pet. Remove or avoid any choking hazards such as buttons, string, or any other item that can be harmful to your dog.
- Never Force Your Dog To Wear A Costume. A costume should never cause stress for a dog. If your dog shows any signs of stress, it is not the right costume for him. Some dogs don’t mind being dressed in outfits, while some dogs do not like it at all.
- Do A Trial Run. It is a good idea to dress your dog in the costume to see how he reacts and feels about wearing it, before Halloween.
- Monitor Your Dog. If your dog is happy to wear a costume and go out trick or treating with the family, make sure to monitor your dog at every turn to make sure he is comfortable and not stressed.
- Keep Your Dog On A Leash. Halloween can be spooky for dogs, even if your dog has a friendly outgoing nature, the noises, costumes, strangers, and kids in the dark can be scary and cause your dog to run off. Be sure to keep your dog leashed while walking, and make sure your dog’s ID tag is current.
- Consider An LED Collar. An LED collar for your dog is a great way for your dog to be visible to you and other people walking, and vehicles driving by.
- Watch Out For Halloween Candy. Keep a close eye on your dog to make sure he doesn’t ingest any Halloween candy or wrappers. Chocolate can be dangerous, and even lethal to dogs. Candies that contain the artificial sweetener xylitol, can be poisonous to dogs.
Does Your Dog Hate Wearing Costumes?
No problem. If your dog does not agree with wearing a costume, then you can still include them in all the fun.
Here are some great Halloween themed items perfect for the pooch that hates to dress up.
Halloween Dog Bandana
Your dog can still look festive and cute wearing this fun Halloween themed bandana.
You get a pack of 2 100% cotton, lightweight and breathable bandanas. Fits neck sizes up to 20 inches.
Halloween Dog Collar
Be festive while walking your dog with this Halloween themed dog collar. This durable dog collar features vibrant colours and various Halloween patterns to choose from. Available in small, medium and large.
Glow In The Dark ID Tag
Make sure your dog is seen with this glow-in-the-dark ID tag. Keep your pup’s safety in mind by always having a current up to date ID tag on him at all times.
This Jack-O-Lantern dog tag is fun and festive. Personalize your tag with up to 4 lines of text. The text is laser engraved on the back.
I hope you have enjoyed this list of cute Halloween costumes for dogs as much as I did picking them out.
Remember to keep your pup safe this Halloween and never force your dog to wear a costume no matter how cute they look. Some dogs just hate being dressed up. You could always just snap a picture of your dog in costume and then take it off.
What About You?
Are you planning on dressing your dog up this Halloween? Which costume is your favourite?
Share your thoughts and comments below. I would love to hear from you.
Latest posts by Jenny (see all)
- Golden Retriever Face Masks [8 Favourites] - April 6, 2021
- Mushers Secret For Dogs [The Best Invisible Dog Boot] - March 8, 2021
- Surgical Suit For Dogs -6 Best Reviewed - February 3, 2021