Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
Chances are you’ve landed here because your Golden Retriever is walking you, and by that I mean you are being pulled and dragged around by your powerful dog. Trust me, I’ve been there! Walking your Golden Retriever feels more like a power walk than a leisurely stroll. You come home feeling exhausted with sore legs and feet, and your arm feels like it has been pulled out of its socket! To make things worse, your Golden looks at you all happy and still energized!
It’s time to make walking your Golden Retriever more enjoyable and comfortable for you and your dog. You need a dog harness. A dog harness will help you have better control over your dog and will prevent him from pulling you in all directions. A harness is a safer option for your dog as it will prevent him from choking and injuring his neck.
So, What Is The Best Harness For A Golden Retriever?
There are many harnesses to choose from and finding the best one for your dog can be overwhelming. Not to worry, because I have done all the hard work for you and have reviewed 7 of the best harnesses for Golden Retrievers.
1. Rabbitgoo Dog Harness. (Best No-Pull Harness)
The Rabbitgoo dog harness is a great choice for Golden Retrievers who pull. It is fully adjustable and has 2 metal leash attachments, one on the front and one on the back.
The front clip is designed for dogs that pull. When you attach your leash on the front, and your dog starts to pull he will be turned around instead of pulling forward. Soon your dog will learn not to pull. Once your dog is trained not to pull, you can use the back attachment for more leisurely walks, jogging or hiking.
It is easy to put on and take off. You simply unbuckle the chest straps, slide the harness over your dog’s head, and secure the buckles. With 4 easy to adjust straps you can get a perfect snug fit for your dog. There is no need to worry about your dog being able to slip out of this harness.
It is comfortable for your dog to wear. It is made of durable Nylon Oxford with soft cushion padding to protect your dog’s skin. The breathable air mesh allows your dog’s skin to breathe during outdoor activities.
The reflective straps are super bright and keeps you and your dog safe while walking at night.
- No-pull and no-choke harness has 2 metal leash attachments :chest and back.
- Overhead harness is easy to put on and take off.
- Has 4 easy to adjust straps: 2 neck straps and 2 chest straps, to ensure a proper fit.
- Has 2 fast-release side buckles that ensure a secure fit. Your dog will not slip out.
- Has a sturdy top handle so you can gain instant control of your dog.
- Made of durable Nylon Oxford, it is weatherproof for all seasons.
- Soft and comfortable cushion padding.
- Breathable air mesh to keep your dog cool.
- Super bright reflective straps ensure safety while walking at night.
- Hand washable.
- Available in various colours.
- Available in 4 sizes. The large size is ideal for Golden Retrievers, it is also available in XL.
- It seems to have it all and comes highly recommended from the many users.
- It is a breeze to put on, just pull it over your dog’s head and secure the buckles. No stepping in or looping through.
- With the front leash attachment, dogs learn not to pull.
- Has 2 leash attachments where most harnesses only have one.
- Comfortable for dogs to wear because it has soft padding.
- Secure and snug fit to prevent dogs from escaping out of it.
- Distributes your dog’s weight evenly.
- Owners of this harness mention that the straps do not stay tight and need to be adjusted at each use.
- The leash attachment points seem to fray, as some owners have mentioned.
- When adjusted, the reflective strips do not show.
2. RUFFWEAR Front Range Everyday No Pull Dog Harness (Best Long Wearing Harness)
This harness by RUFFWEAR is a great choice for hiking or any activity that requires it to be worn for a long period. It is a great everyday harness. It has 2 leash attachments that allow you to clip your leash to the front for no pulling, and to the back for hiking, jogging, or casual walks.
It is comfortable for your dog to wear with its foam padding along the chest and belly, so there is no worry of any chafing on your dog’s skin. It is easy to put on and take off, and features 4 adjustment points to get a perfect fit.
The reflective trim on this harness makes your dog visible while walking at night, and the bright choice of fabric colours makes your dog stand out during the day. There is a storage pocket for you to easily place your dog’s ID tags inside for safe keeping.
- Lightweight, durable, and made for all day wear.
- Comfortable foam padding across the belly and chest.
- Overhead design makes it easy to put on and take off.
- 2 Leash attachment points, one on the chest and one on the back.
- Customized fit with 4 adjustment points.
- Bright visible fabric with reflective trim for safer walking at night.
- ID tag pocket.
- Reinforced webbing leash loop on the chest and aluminum V-ring on the back.
- Available in various bright colours.
- Available in 5 sizes. The Large/XL is ideal for Golden Retrievers.
- Soft and comfortable harness to wear all day, the padding is lightweight and allows your dog’s skin to breathe.
- Great choice for pullers.
- Easy to put on and take off. Just slide it over your dog’s head and snap the two buckles around your dog’s chest.
- Comes in fun bright colours and has reflective trim.
- Highly rated for its proper fit and staying in place. It might move slightly off-centre during pulling, but quickly returns to position.
- Durable and well-made.
- Distributes your dog’s weight evenly.
- The buckles are slightly covered by fabric (recessed), which makes unbuckling this harness a bit tricky for some owners.
- Some owners wish that the front leash attachment point was aluminum instead of the reinforced webbing.
3. Chai’s Choice Dog Harness (Best Outdoor Adventure Harness)
The Chai’s Choice harness features an ergonomic design that makes it super comfortable for your dog to wear every day. It has soft sponge padding along the chest and belly and lightweight mesh that allows your dog’s skin to breathe.
It is both stylish and durable. It comes in a variety of fun colours that you can match to your dog’s personality, and it is made of scratch-resistant oxford material.
It has 2 leash attachment points, a Zinc-alloy D-ring on the back, and a Zinc-alloy O-ring on the chest. It includes a handle on the back for you to gain instant control of your dog, or use it to help aid your dog while walking, climbing stairs, or standing. It provides greater support to injured or handicapped dogs.
It is a great choice for keeping your dog safe while riding in your vehicle. The sturdy handle on the back allows you to loop the seat belt through to keep your dog secure. Other safety features include 3M reflective material for nighttime visibility.
- Overhead harness is easy to put on and take off.
- 2 leash attachment points made of Zinc-alloy.
- Handle on the back for instant control, and for looping seat belt through for car rides.
- Made of scratch-resistant oxford material.
- Fully adjustable.
- Comfortable and lightweight. Soft sponge padding along back and chest.
- Lightweight, breathable mesh lining.
- Reflective to improve your dog’s visibility at night.
- Available in 9 colours.
- Available in 5 sizes. Large or XL is ideal for Golden Retrievers.
- Easy to put on, it slides over your dog’s head.
- Fully adjustable to ensure a proper snug fit.
- Stylish and bright colours.
- Durable, well-made and scratch resistant material.
- 2 leash attachment points.
- Reflective trim for safer nighttime walks.
- Handle on the back for instant control, and for attaching seat belt to in a vehicle.
- Soft sponge padding for extra comfort.
- Lightweight and breathable.
- The quick release buckles are made of plastic, not the best choice for strong heavy pulling dogs.
- The sizing is off, especially around the neck area when trying to put it on your dog.
- The straps loosen and need adjusting.
4. Copatchy No Pull Dog Harness (Best Budget Harness)
Who says a good harness has to break the bank? The Copatchy harness may be a budget harness but it has a lot to offer. It is soft and comfortable for your dog to wear. It features soft sponge filled padding with breathable mesh that allows your dog’s skin to breathe during daily activities.
It is easy to put on and take off. Unlike other harnesses that your dog must step in, or put his head through, you simply clip it on.
It has a sturdy handle on the back for instant control of your dog, as well as aiding a senior or injured dog.
- Anti pull dog harness.
- Sponge filled padding.
- Lightweight and breathable mesh.
- Fully adjustable to ensure a snug fit.
- Easy to put on, simply clip it around your dog’s chest and neck. There is no stepping in or pulling the head through.
- Leash attachment on the back.
- Available in 5 colours.
- Available in 6 sizes.
- Budget friendly harness that works well.
- Soft and comfortable.
- Easy to put on and take off, no stepping in or putting your dog’s head through it.
- Sturdy handle on the back for greater control.
- The company offers great customer service.
- Easy to adjust.
- The clips are made of plastic, not the best for strong heavy pullers.
- Only one leash attachment on the back.
- Not the best choice for strong pullers, as the strap around the neck can cause choking.
- No chest support.
- Sizing is off.
5. Noxgear LightHound (Best Light Up Dog Harness)
Keeping your dog visible during those early morning and nighttime walks is extremely important. A light up LED harness is a great way to keep your dog safe while walking during low-visibility conditions. An LED harness is also useful on camping trips, hunting, hiking, or for being able to spot your dog in a large backyard.
The Noxgear LightHound harness is lightweight, durable and comfortable for your dog to wear, but the best part is it makes your dog visible with its 360 degree illumination. Your dog will be visible from over a half mile away.
There is no need to buy batteries for this harness, it is USB rechargeable. You get 12 hours of illumination on one charge.
The cool part of this harness is that you have 8 colours all in one harness that you can illuminate your dog in, as well as 6 different multi-colour flashing and slow fading modes. You can illuminate your dog in green one day and the next in red, no need to be stuck with the same colour.
It is an overhead design, it is easy to put on over your dog’s head and it is easily adjustable at the neck and chest. It features a metal ring leash attachment on the back.
- 8 Super bright colours, and 6 flashing modes all in one vest are easy to select at the push of a button.
- Rechargeable USB battery that gives 12 hours of illumination on 1 charge.
- 360 degree illumination is visible from over 1/2 mile away.
- Uses flexible fiber optic cables and 3M Scotch lite reflector technology.
- Vest is lightweight, breathable, and durable. Made from military-grade Cordura fabric.
- Overhead design.
- Metal ring leash attachment on the back.
- Adjustable at the neck and chest.
- Great for all season use, and it is rainproof.
- Machine washable.
- Makes walking your dog safer at night.
- Long lasting illumination of 12 hours, and far visibility up to 1/2 mile away.
- Many colour options and modes all in one.
- Machine washable.
- It can easily slide over another harness, collar, or dog coat.
- More of a vest than a harness, it is not the best for dogs that pull. Will need to use it with another harness.
- The straps attach under your dog which might cause friction.
- Power cord is not included, but works with any micro USB charger.
- It is pricey.
6. Juxzh Truelove Soft Front Dog Harness (Best All In One Harness)
The Juxzh Truelove harness is a great all in one harness that is soft and comfortable for your Golden Retriever to wear all day during any activity. It has it all, 2 strong leash attachment points, a handle on the back, reflective stitching, breathable mesh padding, and a multitude of stylish colours to choose from.
This high-end dog harness is fully adjustable and is easy to put on and take off. Simply slide it over your dog’s head and secure the buckles on the sides. There is no worry of any chafing on your dog’s skin because there is soft sponge padding along your dog’s chest and belly.
Your Golden Retriever will enjoy the comfort of this harness, and you will love it for its durable construction and safety design. The outer layer is made of durable scratch-resistant oxford material and nylon webbing with 3M reflective material that makes your dog visible at night.
You can use the sturdy handle as a seat belt attachment to ensure your dog is safe while riding in your car.
- Comfortable ergonomic design with soft padding along the chest and belly.
- 2 leash attachment points. One Aluminum-alloy V-Ring on the back, and one Stainless-Steel O-Ring on the chest.
- No-pull harness evenly distributes your dog’s weight.
- Breathable mesh lining.
- Reflective stitching for good visibility.
- 4 adjustment points.
- Overhead design allows it to be put on and removed easy.
- Sturdy handle on the back for greater control, and easy seat belt attachment.
- Available in 11 stylish colours.
- Available in 5 sizes. Large or XL is ideal for Golden Retrievers.
- A great all in one harness, the quality and price can’t be beat.
- Durable scratch resistant material.
- Soft and comfortable for your dog to wear all day.
- Variety of stylish colours.
- Easy to put on and take off.
- The buckles are on the top and protected by fabric so there is no worry of any friction or chafing.
- Has 2 leash attachment points, and a sturdy handle.
- Overhead design means you have to adjust it every time you put it on your dog.
- The buckles are plastic.
- Some owners mention that the sizing is off and it runs small.
- Hard to adjust at the neck.
7. PetSafe Deluxe Easy Walk Harness (Best Minimal Design Harness)
It has a very simple look to it but it is cleverly designed to stop your dog from pulling. The front leash attachment rests on your dog’s chest and when your dog starts to pull he will be steered towards you to your side. There are no straps that go around your dog’s neck to cause gagging or choking.
The Deluxe Easy Walk Harness features extra neoprene padding to make walking comfortable for your dog. It has 4 adjustment points to ensure a secure and snug fit. It is made of nylon and highly reflective strips. With the contrasting band colour on the belly there is no confusion as to which strap goes on the top or the bottom.
- No-pull harness deters opposition reflex. The front Martingale leash loop steers your dog to your side to reduce and eliminate leash pulling.
- Padded with neoprene for added comfort.
- Easy to adjust with 4 adjustment points.
- Easy to put on, simply pull over your dog’s head and secure the side buckles.
- Made of durable nylon.
- Highly reflective strips.
- Available in 4 colours.
- Available in 4 sizes.
- It is lightweight and easy to put on.
- The deluxe version has neoprene padding which makes it comfortable for your dog to wear, and the padding helps the harness stay in place.
- Very minimal look compared to other harnesses.
- Simple but clever design with the martingale loop on the front to steer your dog towards you to the side to redirect pulling.
- No straps around the neck means no pressure to cause choking or gagging.
- It can be easily washed.
- Fully adjustable to ensure a snug and proper fit. Adjustment points include the belly, shoulder, and 2 in the chest.
- Quick snap buckles.
- The initial adjustment set up can be difficult. With the 4 adjustment points it does take time to get the right fit the first time. After that there is no need to adjust the straps each time you put it on or take it off, you simply clasp and unclasp the buckles.
- Not sturdy enough for strong pulling dogs as the chest strap loosens during pulling.
- Has a tendency to stretch out when it gets wet.
- The sizing is off on some dogs, causing the chest strap to sit too low. Owners of this harness mention that it runs big.
- Some owners have mentioned this harness starts to fray.
Why Do Golden Retrievers Pull?
If you have ever walked a Golden Retriever puppy with a collar, you know firsthand just how much force and energy they have to want to get to where they are going. Leash pulling happens in puppies as well as adult Golden Retrievers.
Golden Retrievers are known for their friendly and outgoing personalities, which means they are eager to meet people and other animals. This leads to leash pulling. If a Golden Retriever sees another dog or human, they race to meet them, dragging you behind on the leash.
Owning a super friendly dog like the Golden Retriever is certainly a huge plus, but when it comes to walking, it can be a chore.
Golden Retrievers like most dogs have a prey drive, so if they see another animal such as a squirrel, they will quickly dart towards them hoping to catch them.
Golden Retrievers love the outdoors, and being outside is exciting. All the different smells, sights and sounds add to the excitement, and they just can’t get to their destination fast enough.
Here is a short video of how using a harness makes a big difference in how your Golden Retriever walks.
Advantages Of Using A Dog Harness
- Gives You Better Control Of Your Dog: A harness is designed to wrap over your dog’s body, whether you are using a strap harness or a chest harness, you will have better control of your dog’s movements.
- Prevents Injuries To Your Dog’s Neck: When your dog pulls while wearing a collar and leash, all that strain is put on your dog’s neck and can cause injury. A harness distributes that strain across your dog’s chest and back, and no pressure is put on your dog’s neck.
- Prevents Choking And Gagging: Because there is no pressure put around your dog’s neck, when your dog pulls there is no risk of him choking or gagging.
- Discourages Pulling: When using a collar and leash, your dog is able to pull forward and will continue doing so because it works. With a harness your dog’s pulling will be redirected to the side or turned around, which will cause your dog to stop pulling.
- Can’t Escape Out Of It: Many dog’s can easily wiggle their head out of a collar, and once they learn how they will do it often. But, with a harness that is fitted properly, your dog will not be able to escape out of it because it wraps around their body.
- No Tangling: When your dog wears a leash and collar there is a chance of either you getting tangled up or your pup getting tangled up in the leash. Especially when you have an excitable puppy or dog jumping up. With a harness, it is harder for your dog to tangle you or himself up when the leash is attached on the back.
- Offers Support For Older Or Injured Dogs: Harnesses that have an added handle on the back allow you to aid your dog in standing up, climbing stairs, and walking. Older dogs may need extra support to help them get around, as well as injured dogs or dogs recovering from surgery who may feel unbalanced and wobbly from certain pain medications.
How Do You Choose The Best Harness For Your Golden Retriever?
When it comes to choosing the best harness for your Golden Retriever you should take into consideration the following:
- Your Goldens Age And Temperament: Puppies and young adult Goldens are full of energy and without proper training can be a chore to walk! A no-pull harness will be your best choice.
- Comfort: The best harness should be comfortable for your Golden to wear. It should not be pinching his skin in any spots or cause any skin irritation. Harnesses that have soft padding and breathable mesh will allow your dog to be comfortable during any activity.
- Durability: You want the harness to be durable enough to last a long time as well as keep your pup secure. If your Golden is a strong puller, you will need a harness with thick durable reinforced straps and durable buckles to keep your dog secure.
- Adjustability: A harness that is adjustable will allow you to get a snug and proper fit. You will want a harness that can be adjusted along the chest, belly, and back for a proper fit.
- Ease Of Putting It On And Taking It Off: Many harnesses are either an overhead design where you pull it over your dog’s head, or a step-in design that your dog has to put his front legs into. The harness you choose should be easy to put on, because you don’t want to have to wrestle with your dog to try to put it on.
- Reflective Strips: Many harnesses have reflective strips for added safety while walking at night. If you walk your dog during low-light conditions, or near high traffic areas it is important to get a harness that has reflective material to increase your dog’s safety and visibility.
- Leash Attachment Points: Many harnesses have only one leash attachment point, either on the front chest or on the back. A harness with a front clip leash attachment is best for dogs who pull as their pulling action will be redirected. A harness with a back clip is best suited for dogs who are trained not to pull, and it is intended for leisurely walks or jogs. Some harnesses have 2 leash attachment points that allow you to use the front clip for training and the back for leisure walks.
Make Sure To Get The Proper Fit
If you are buying a harness online it is important to use the manufacturers sizing chart as a reference. Different harness styles will fit differently and to be sure you get the right size, you will need to measure your Golden.
Some harness sizes are based on weight so that is a good starting point. You will also need to measure your dog’s neck and chest size.
Golden Retriever puppies will usually be a size small or medium depending on their weight, and adult Goldens generally are a size large or XL.
Keep in mind that some harnesses are fully adjustable and some are not. A proper fitting harness should be snug enough to secure your dog but not tight that it will cause pinching. If the harness fits too loose there is a chance your pup could wiggle out of it.
The Best Harness For A Golden Retriever, My Top Pick
The Rabbitgoo Dog Harness is my top pick! I love this harness because it has 2 strong leash attachment points, it has a sturdy handle on the back to instantly control my dog, and it has soft padding with breathable mesh to keep my dog comfortable.
With this harness, it is easy to get a secure snug fit because it is fully adjustable with 4 points of adjustment. It goes on easily by pulling it over your dog’s head and securing the buckles. I love that it is stylish and durable, and the price point is great.
This harness has reflective strips to increase my dog’s visibility at night, but for added safety I like to use a light up dog collar as well while walking at night.
I hope that this article was able to answer the question of what is the best harness for a Golden Retriever? There are a multitude of harnesses out there to choose from, but I have been able to narrow the choice down for you to the best 7.
Choosing the best harness for your Golden will come down to your dog’s individual size, temperament, and what style and features you want in a harness.
Getting your dog used to wearing a harness is a little easier when they are a puppy, but any age of Golden Retriever can get accustomed to wearing a harness.
When you switch from a collar to a harness, it may take a few walks to get used to, but soon you and your Golden will notice a huge difference for the better. A harness will ensure a safer and more enjoyable walking experience for you (no more sore arms and legs), and for your dog (no more choking and gagging).
What About You?
Does your Golden Retriever wear a harness? Which harness is your favourite? Has a harness changed the way your Golden Retriever walks?
Share your thoughts and comments below. I would love to hear from you.